How Can I Connect My T Series Model to a Wi-Fi Network?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

This question comes up all the time so I'm going to get it out of the way.

Currently, there are no Wi-Fi SD cards available for the T series. SanDisk makes one but there is no Palm OS driver for it. One is expected in the coming months though. You can read the details about this at:
    www.brighthand.com/article/SanDisk_Explains_Delay_of_Wi-Fi_SD_Card

Update: SanDisk's web page about its Wi-Fi SD card now says that a Palm OS 5 driver will be released in the second quarter of this year.

However, there is an option. You can get Enfora's Wireless LAN Portfolio, which is a case that has Wi-Fi built into it. I tested a prototype of this and was astonished by its range, which is far better than any other Wi-Fi device I've ever used. It also has a built-in battery, so Wi-Fi doesn't use up the handheld's. You can find it on the Palm Store for $169.99:
    http://store.palmone.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1431842/

Update: C-Guys, a company based in Asia, says it will have a Palm OS Garnet driver for its Wi-Fi SDIO card in May:
    www.brighthand.com/article/C-Guys_Developing_Wi-Fi_SD_Card_for_Palm

Another option is the Guyver, a sled that allows some handhelds with Palm's Universal Connector to use Type II PCMCIA cards. I've never used this myself so I can't tell you anything besides what is in this article:
    www.brighthand.com/article/Guyver_Available_Today?site=Palm

2. playboy060284

playboy060284 Newbie

I was looking hard for a module but there is none yet - but the release of this one should be near.

3. zentro

zentro member indeed

4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

SyChip doesn't release products to the public. Instead, it licenses its designs to other companies, which release finished products. The SyChip WLAN 6060SD is the card that SanDisk is offering now.

Incidentally, SyChip recently said it was working on some multi-function SD cards, including one with both Wi-Fi and 256 MB of memory, which it was demonstrating at the recent CES. These will also be distributed by companies like SanDisk. You can read more about SyChip's plans for multi-function cards at
    www.brighthand.com/article/SyChip_Developing_More_Multi-Function_SD_Cards?site=Palm

While we're on the topic, SyChip also recently announced a new, low-power version of its Wi-Fi SD card. You can read more about it at
    www.brighthand.com/article/SyChip_Exhibiting_Low_Power_Wi-Fi_SD_Card?site=Palm

5. jnp

jnp Guest

Is this the card that Sandisk has been promising?

Sandisk Wi-Fi SD
    (Secure Digital) Card
    802.11b
    Wi-Fi via Secure Digital card for Notebooks & PDAs

Model SDWSDB000768

6. Jose Flich

Jose Flich Newbie

Hi,

is there anybody that obtained Enfora WIFI case from outside USA & Canada?

How? It seems that the only way is through mobilePlanet and by subscribing to a third mail company.

Thanxs

7. generaljoe

generaljoe Mobile Enthusiast

I bought a TT last year, cos I wanted a decent palmtop which would play music and do wifi when it was available.

Like many others, I watched as Sandisk slowly discovered that the WLAN6060 SDIO WiFi card wouldn't work with palms due to firstly driver problems and secondly power drain issues.

Like many others, I watched with interest as Sychip prepared the WLAN 6065, same thing but lower power consumption so it'll work with Palms with OS 5.

And then I read the press release. Supports OS 5.2.1. So no wifi for my TT. Ever.

Am I alone in thinking that this is not a good way to support your customers? I bought the TT when it was top of the line, within 3 months it had been superseded twice, and it won't do many things it was intended to "because US TTs have 4Mb RAM". Great reason for not providing an upgrade. I don't think.

I've not actually had it verified by Sychip yet that it won't work on the TT, but I'm not hopeful...

8. Bill Gamble

Bill Gamble Mobile Deity

9. klw

klw Guest

Having a (large) external battery is the only way to ever do WiFi on a handheld IMO unless you want a brick...

Everyone who's ever used a pocketable PDA with built in WiFi can attest to this.

The Enfora case is the perfect solution here.

10. Prom

Prom Cybertronian

First off some corrections, 8MB Rom is in my TT. second, battery life is very decent, especially when BT is turned off. Now I also disagree with the hype that followed Sychip and Sandisk; and personally I think this is Sandisk' s payback for all the potential lack of sales caused by lack of firmware/software that Palm could have written in order to stop Sandisk SD card woes on Palm OS 5 devices.

Having an external battery isn't needed for occasional, say 4 boughts of 15 minutes / 1 bought of straight 1 hour WiFi usuage. Case in Point is the iPaq line-up all have built in WiFi and built-in batteries; yes I know their removable but you don't need external to enjoy WiFi- heck there is a cellphone company that is devoloping WiFi for a cellphone (no not the rumored iPaq 6300).

Made me a lil' pissed off.

My solution use my TT until I get a SonyEricsson T616 or better (T-650?!) cellphone with SYncML notes, address book calender/scheduler, and my ebooks I'll buy them online in Audible format to listen to my upcoming Mini-iPod.

Thank you Palm, I remained faithful but you cheated me, for that is unforgivable. Sure you can get new close and implants but that beauty is only skin deep. The Treo 600 maybe good enough for me when BT is included and I'll be happy with that.

Can anyone imagine what would've happened to Palm if they didn't swallow up Handspring before the launch of the Treo600?? OUCH!