How are you faring in this worldwide crisis?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

I have one o' those

Attached Files:

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Either you misunderstood the article or it was providing false or misleading information. One of the most common problems I see in news reporting is the base rate fallacy. Percentages are meaningless without proper context.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL2N2OJ1ET

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

mine, I believe, is in one of the boxes of "books I want to keep, but don't have room for them on our bookshelves". iirc, I got that my junior year in H.S., so that'd be the 1970 or 1971 edition.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Jig, the 8 month mark is not set in stone, it's the number people are talking about. As for 'when' you can get it, I already know people who have gotten it at the 6 month mark in the way I suggested above? Not me. News of that is rampant in the Northeast anyway. At least here, vaccination is a lot looser than it was at the very beginning when there was scarcity. Now, there's a surplus, so some of the people who are probably overly-concerned are doing it. Not me. I'm happy with whatever turns up. One of the advantages of getting a relatively late vaccine is that I can see what happens. I've already seen some stuff that says the 8-month mark is probably not going to be the final consensus. And that comes from a fraternity brother I talked to last night who is a doctor that did his residency with Rochelle Walensky and also has a Ph.D. in genetics. A lot of this stuff is a bit new to be laying down definitive statements.

And those kids are not 'excluded.' They can't be if the vaccine for that age group was only approved in the middle of May. If we get to the middle of January and that tranche isn't opened yet (which I doubt will be the case unless the booster window changes), then there might be a cause for complaint. I don't know about Minnesota, but here they released the vaccine in age tranches to begin with. This is no different.

Rick, I had one of those books too.

Update: Hmmm. Looks like what I said came to pass. It also looks like Moderna turned out to be the best vaccine. I predicted that as well.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  5. RickAgresta

So. Just back from a grocery shop…
    In addition to the shortages, there are some TOTALLY outrageous prices (in comparison to "the old days when life was normal") -- $6.98 for a gallon of Apple cider!! Oh, and while 6-packs of caffeine-free diet Pepsi in bottles can be found, the 2L. bottles are out of stock…damn virus!

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Having last been to the grocery store about 3 weeks ago, I was surprised on Monday by the return of empty shelves even though I'd been reading for weeks about supply chain disruptions, employee loss and all of the other adverse situations appearing on the ongoing Disaster Menu. :vbfrown: Since the beginning of March 2020, I've logged each grocery shop into my Calendar, along with items/quantities purchased, unavailable items and Total spent. Although I don't have a readily available cost per item comparison, I have a record of the overall cost increases over the past 20 months. (We've been besieged for nearly 2 years?! :vbeek: ) The New Normal is < fill in your preferred pejorative >. :vbfrown:

7. RickAgresta

Is it okay to use a short phrase, instead of a word? I'm thinking that there are some excellent choices in How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

scjjtt, Hook, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

HA! :vbsmile: Feel free. :thumbsup:

9. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I have pretty much avoided any discussion of COVID. I have tried to not even talk about it and those around me to say, "Remember" if I do to remind me of my decision to avoid the subject. But since you all don't know that :) and since this is a safe place even if someone disagrees I just want to express this thought - we would be so much further ahead if people would just get the vaccines and stop this division within our country. It isn't a political issue - it is a health issue. When people say "we don't know the long term effects of these vaccines" can you tell me the long term effects of people getting COVID and how that is going to affect their health years from now? What about our children who are getting COVID? My grandkids have got it - will something show up years from now that we all will wish that we would have all got the vaccines to keep our children from suffering. When people say that their decision doesn't affect anyone else - who are they kidding. This COVID is world wide. Over 700,000 people in our country have died from complications from it. When my father was just visiting he expressed how the news (not Fox News - I don't get that channel from my OTA antenna stations, nor would I watch it) keeps talking about COVID. I told him that some days we have had about the same amount of people die in this country from COVID in a day as we did in the number of people loss at the attack at Pearl Harbor or on 911. I told him that the number of people loss each day just in our country is more than to several jetliners crashing every day. I asked him, "If we had multiple jetliners crashing every day in our country, don't you think our government would shut down the air traffic or at least it would be reported in the evening news?" He agreed.

My heart goes out to those who are sick and/or have lost loved ones from this virus. I'm grateful for my two vaccine shots and the booster shot Mrs scjjtt and I have received and the doctors, scientist, pharaceutical companies and our government who has made this available and free.

There - I've said it - now you can say, "Remember!"

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

10. RickAgresta

and, good sir, I will, since it echos my feelings and sentiments. Wife and I are waiting to schedule our Moderna boosters, hoping that'll be soon -- we're in the group of OTHOF -- Over The Hill Old Farts. we have a special flu shot, too :newpalm: