How are you faring in this worldwide crisis?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 17, 2020.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

lelisa, my local supermarket (which has an attached pharmacy) also kind of suggested yesterday over the loudspeaker, without saying it outright, that you could get a third dose (Moderna) there.

Hook, I loved those too, although I think I had another model that wasn't labelled as a TRS-80, which was RS's PC brand. If you have the time, you can search way back on BH and find another thread that covered a lot of these pocket computer/calculators. The one you linked figured prominently.

You guys are more careful than I am. First, I live in a state/area with a low infection rate and a very high vaccination rate. I was just out today and wore the same surgical mask to a CVS and another local pharmacy/personal care products store. I was in and out of both in 5-10 minutes, so I don't think I was at a big risk. Everyone was still standing apart in line. I haven't read/heard any recommendations to swap to new masks between stores. I'd think touching the old mask to put on a new one would actually be a bigger risk. I remember Fauci saying early on about not touching the mask too much.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  2. EdmundDantes

That TI-84 plus seems to have a pretty wide range of prices. Anywhere from about $100 to $150, which is a pretty wide range for a relatively inexpensive item. From the discussion, I kind of expected it to cost $200+ or something.

QF, when I was in high school and competing in math and science competitions (yes, I was a nerd), I can remember a particular (private) high school that was 'sharing' a calculator to cheat during the competitions. We never snitched, but we beat them anyway.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

You probably had the Sharp branded model. They were identical as far as I know, but Sharp was the creator and actual manufacturer.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. EdmundDantes

Jig, Why would they make it available to 12 and older, when 12 year olds only recently got approved for it? They can't have had the full (regular) vaccine regimen for that long yet. I finished my (Moderna) cycle in May, so I don't think I want to get a third until December or so. 6 months seems to be a good time. I think I read that they were opening it up (officially) to 50+ and that 40+ would soon follow. Plus people in special circumstances.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. EdmundDantes

Hook, I meant to mention I was pretty sure it was an RS, but you might be right.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Edmund, my state is as RED as Rudolph's nose, surrounded by a sea of the same! :vbmad: I'm taking as few chances as possible. :newpalm: I wear KF94 masks and dispose based on how many hours I've worn it and in what circumstances.

I tend to agree with the 8-month calculation that recent data suggests, having lots of "Mom" experience with childhood, college and recently, older adult vaccination schedules. There are always recommended timetables for vaccinations and boosters and I've been reaching a lot of those 10-year timetable dates over the past 3 years or so. Several boosters to many of my own childhood/early adult vaccinations and some new ones (2 types of Pneumonia vaccines, Tdap and of course, the mean old 2-dose Shingrix :vbfrown: ) because preventive vaccinations don't last forever.

I don't mind the prick - I don't want to get sick! :vbgrin: :thumbsup: Everybody sing along! :vbtongue:

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  7. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I don't know if it was emerging thesis or if this is the established guideline, but I've been hearing that the 3rd shot is suggested for people to get 8 months after shot #2 was given. Doesn't seem like that does much good against what we're facing right now...

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  8. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

The booster is just that, a booster. The 8 months is a best guess from (limited) clinical data as to when the vaccine is beginning to weaken. The vaccine is not a guarantee against contracting the virus, but it does give some protection against the symptoms, including from the variants. The idea is to use boosters to maintain that protection. This is why masks remain important. You can be vaxxed but still be an asymptomatic carrier.

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

You can't get the booster in December. The booster is available for you 8 months after fully vaccinated. If you finished in May, you wouldn't get the booster until January at the earliest. My point is that 12-16 year olds should also be allowed to get the booster 8 months after being fully vaccinated. Why are they excluded? My daughter, who is 16, got her vaccination in May and I believe should be eligible for the booster in January, just like you.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I haven't heard anywhere that teens won't be eligible for Dose #3 when their time rolls around. :vbconfused: I logically assumed that they'd just be in a later group due to the later initial vaccination dates. I'm going to look into this to see if I can find out what's what. :thumbsup:

scjjtt likes this.