How are you faring in this worldwide crisis?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 17, 2020.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    lelisa13p, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I'm doing pretty well. I was released from the hospital on Saturday afternoon. My kidney levels were at an acceptable range, 1.9 - they'll like it to be at a 1.

You don't go through something like this & be 100% as you as you come home.

I've been more tired than normal. Sunday we had a year long scheduled missionary speaking - all I did was work with the worship band & play piano & didn't have to preach.

Sunday was Mrs scjjtt's B.D. She had a free meal for a Brazilian Grill so we went there. Stopped by our daughter's & BIL & 5 grandkids - because they wanted to see Grandma on her birthday. Got home 1 hour before our church's small group that meets at our house on the 1st & 3rd Sundays. We meet for 1.5 hours.

Needless to say by Sunday night - I was tired & found myself the same way on Monday & did practically nothing the entire morning.

Basically I'm doing well - will be following up with my Dr next week & the surgeon on 9/9.

Thanks for asking everyone - you all are the best!

Edit: looking back at what I wrote I thought they'll go in through the back to drain the kidney - no - they use an existing hole & put in a stint. :(

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

EdmundDantes, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

OUCH! :eek:

EDIT: OUCH! :eek:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  4. scjjtt

It was a kidney stone that was causing the problem. Lots of people have kidney stones but they don't have to have surgery right away. The stone wasn't big, I guess, but it was lodged and causing a back flow into my kidney, inflaming, infection, swelling and causing kidney damage. So they put the stent in, and hit me with lots of antibotics to avoid sepsis and iv's to flush out the kidney.

By the way, on the other recent subject, I never had one of those fancy calculators but I did use a slide ruler. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, raspabalsa, Hook and 2 others like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm sorry you were in such pain and glad you were able to get treated so quickly. You did miss out on an opportunity, however: Ig Nobel win for kidney stone removing roller-coaster

6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Ugh. I'm so sorry, as one who has gone through the same... surgury for a kidney stone, stent, the works. I've had many stones just pass on their own, but when they get stuck in the wrong place... did I mention Ugh. Hopefully you'll continue to recover and be well. But take it seriously easy and give your body a chance to heal (Hook looks tries to look stern-- everyone else in the break room falls down laughing). Everything can wait.:vbrolleyes: :vbsmile:

7. scjjtt

Yes - Ugh. The pain was about the worst I've ever experienced. It was the second dose of Morphin & something else in the ER that finally eliminated it.

I'm grateful for living in a day, age, & nation where I was able to be medically treated. I couldn't imagine if this happened at the height of Covid & been turned away because a hospital was full!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I'm glad to know you're feeling better, Scott, and thanks for letting us know. Luckily I don't know first-hand how it feels to have kidney stones. I guess chances are I'll get to know in a few years or decades. I've seen people in lots of pain because of stones, so it's not a prospect I look forward to.

I did have some fancy calculators back in my early years. No TI high-end model, though, just some Casio programmable ones. I never used a slide rule in school, but my uncle had a small one and I learned the basic operations with it. My uncle used to tell us that back then the slide rule was the epitome of coolness. I guess he was some kind of 50s geek :newpalm:

9. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Oh, and on the calculator. My favorite was the Radio Shack PC-1 which was created by Sharp but rebranded by Radio Shack.

https://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=937&st=1

It was an actual computer that ran Basic with a one-line LCD. I had the cassette deck for data transfer and storage and the tiny printer. It was wonderful. You cold program any function you wanted in basic. Dedicated calculators were probably far easier to use, but this was fun. :newpalm:

10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

It's easy to calculate when to show up for Dose #3. Use the date that you received Dose #2 and count ahead 8 months. My Dose #2 was on March 10 so I become eligible for Dose #3 on November 10. Take your original Vaccination Card with you and the rest should proceed smoothly. The earliest vaccine recipients such as my MD DIL (Dose #2 was in early January) will be eligible in September as soon as the Dose #3 program is implemented. Walgreens sent me an email overnite with a link to a PDF of their nationwide participating pharmacies. The list is in alphabetical order by state. There's probably a link on the Walgreens website, too.