How are you faring in this worldwide crisis?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 17, 2020.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. RickAgresta

I caught this podcast on live radio this morning; very in-line for this thread, and another example of amazing front-line workers.

https://whyy.org/episodes/nurses-taking-charge/

Click on the 'Listen' button to, erm, ah, listen

EDIT: forgot to mention, WHYY is my local NPR station

3. RickAgresta

Uh, Ben? These are partying bikers you're talking about.…

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm sorry to hear of the troubles in Bolivia, raspy. It sounds absolutely terrible. The political crises Bolivia has had over the years seem to pale in comparison when you throw an out-of-control pandemic into the mix. Keep yourself safe!

I have friends in Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz de la Sierra) and spent a few days there in 1994. I hope you're able to get there someday. It's in the tropical zone, so would give you relief from the cold at your higher elevation. The central roads are laid out in a radial-concentric design (4 main rings, I believe). From what I understand, in the early 1950s, there weren't any paved roads in Santa Cruz, so this urban planning took place in the late 50s, 60s and 70s.

raspabalsa, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

UPDATE: After a Friday morning phone call by the girl's mother to the school, the suspension has been reversed and the item has been removed from her records. YAY MOM! :vbgrin: YAY COMMON SENSE! :vbgrin: Story (hopefully not behind the paywall.)

It should be noted that there is still no mandatory mask rule for students. * Common Sense just groaned from the corner where it's been shoved in this Neanderthal state in which I reside.* :vbfrown:

MOMENTS LATER UPDATE: I gotta get here earlier, obviously. :vbtongue:

AND LATER STILL: I was born in the city where I still live so I can b!tch about the stupidity, etc that I've had a lifetime to observe/lament. I'm not just being cranky. :vbtongue: It's the old "I can say whatever I want about my sister/brother/family but you better watch yourself!" rule. :vbgrin: :vbgrin: :vbgrin:

raspabalsa, scjjtt, JRakes and 4 others like this.
  6. lelisa13p

raspy, I hold hope and a good thought for you in my heart, for your health and safety, and for your dear Mrs R. Does Face Time or Skype allow for talking face-to-face at all?

And this is for all of us:

2020 King and Tarantino_sharp.jpg

raspabalsa, scjjtt, Hook and 4 others like this.
  7. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Heh... I recommended to friends & family they watch / read SK's "The Stand."

Hook, raspabalsa, headcronie and 3 others like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Replace "pandemic" with "ex-president, current would-be-dictator" and that phrase gets even scarier! :rolleyes:. I do hope things calm down during the weekend. The government now says they will intervene with force to open the roads. That can only end very badly.

Yes, Santa Cruz sounds nice. I'd like to visit it someday. Except that my field trip was to get to Santa Cruz by airplane and immediately take a car to the mining areas, without any sight-seeing. This was supposed to be the year when I toured Bolivia with Mrs R. Alas, that will have to wait, just as so many plans.

Thanks, lelisa. We do have face to face time with Mrs R, but mostly over Whatsapp. An added bonus of video calls is that I've taken to showing Mrs R the top of my Dex dock with the Bored Deadpool sticker whenever needed :D. As the months have gone by since the epidemic hit, I find that we're having video calls more frequently. I sorely miss her and my kids!

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Tell them to search for one specific version of the novel... that should keep them busy for some time ;).

JRakes, scjjtt, headcronie and 4 others like this.
  10. lelisa13p

I read the initial printing of The Stand in December 1978, while sick at home for 2 weeks, stricken with the flu for only the second time in my life. I had just bought the book (I wasn't sick when I bought it) and even though it scared the fool out of me :vbeek: , I just couldn't stop reading during the times that I actually felt like I wasn't dying as well. After that, I've gotten a flu shot every year without fail. :thumbsup:

It remains one of my favorite books and set a pretty high bar at the time.

Hook, jigwashere, JRakes and 3 others like this.