How are you faring in this worldwide crisis?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 17, 2020.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Disclaimer: it was funnier in my head…

Thoughts on that statement:

• has anyone seen any stats on that damn virus in mental institutions?

• I do recall reading that there has been an increase in the number of calls to 911 regarding domestic disputes

• I guess I should be thankful that I'm still working, and for an essential industry at that (pharmaceutical manufacturing. We make drugs™)

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I make it sound like a zombie apocalypse, don't I? :vbgrin: I meant out into the general public areas (stores), not out of my house. :vbtongue:

And living alone, the only domestic abuse I encounter is what I give myself when I happen to notice how I don't really care about when I last vacuumed. :vbgrin:

Like I said, fortunate. :thumbsup:

Hook, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  3. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Catching up a bit - Thanks for starting this, Raspy. I wish you and everyone else, and your families, all the best throughout this ordeal.

I'm doing well with it, overall. I don't get out and about a lot these days, but even less now and I'm getting a bit irritable, I must admit. I'm simply tired of feeling cooped up. And going out is am entirely different ordeal. Basically, like so many others, I'm tired of it. But I know the end isn't yet in sight, so we do what we can, eh?

Again, best of luck to this group whom I still consider "family." :newpalm:

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

JRAKES! Good to hear from you! I hope you continue to do well...long time no see!

scjjtt, JRakes, Hook and 4 others like this.
  5. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Thanks, QF! It's good to be back!

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I'm back from my trip to CO to see my son. I think I managed the trip safely and I have to admit the airlines (or, at least, the airline I used, Frontier) are doing a good job under the circumstances. The airports insist on masks and most people are cooperating. Social distancing in the airports is a little challenging, but with your own effort you can achieve it. The airlines insist on masks on the plane and won;t let you on without it. They do a touchless temperature check of all passengers and crew. From what I'm seeing Frontier was selling no middle seats unless it was a family group so every other seat was empty (but not every other row). And they use hospital grade air filters and an air circulation system that replaces cabin air with outside air every 3 minutes. All in all, with my own efforts as well (Mask, sanitzer, gloves, disinfectant wipes), I think risks were pretty minimized. My son in CO is even more cautious than I am (he has medical risk). It was hard, but we didn't hug. We had a wonderful time, mostly just hanging out in his apartment and watching movies together. It was wonderful, and well worth all the effort. Obviously, I won't know for sure I succeeded in not getting infected for 14 days, but I'm pretty hopeful.

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Thanks for detailing your experiences. I'm glad that your airline is doing more to protect its customers than American Airlines is! We'll continue to hold all of you in our thoughts!

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hook, sounds like you had a great time with your son. I'm very happy for you. "Hanging out and watching movies" is one of my prefered activities when I go see my kids :newpalm: From what you say, you were as careful as possible under the circumstances. Congratulations on your sucessful mission! :)

9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Mask and social distancing do work. I'm just learning this first-hand. We found our very first covid case among the workers at the plant. He reported sick about a week ago while at work, and I immediately sent him home. He went to the doctor, who "diagnosed" covid-19 without testing him, and prescribed some medications. At work we purchased a kit of quick tests and this morning I tested all personnel. Fortunately, we're all negative. I then went to his home and tested him, and he's positive for covid-19. Of course these quick tests have a margin of error, but still I think this means we're taking good enough care at work. We're going to test everybody again in about a week to make sure. The infected worker seems to have a relatively mild case: he has a dry cough, had fever for a few days but no more, but never had any trouble breathing. Looks like he's recovering :)

This is in fact the very first covid-19 case I've seen first-hand. I must admit it was scary when the lines showing positive appeared on the test kit. My assistant ran the test, and he said his first impulse was to kick the worker out. Saner heads prevailed, though, and we advised him to remain quarantined, especially to protect his children. This is really hard on everybody.

10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I can't say anything for or against a pulse oximeter (we do have one, but no idea on how accurate it really is); but something interesting came out of the PGA Tour. A pro's Whoop armband detected a change in his respiration (by an average of 2 extra breaths per minute) a day or so before he felt a bit off and got tested (positive) for Covid. The PGA tour distributed Whoop bands to all the players at that point.