How are you faring in this worldwide crisis?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 17, 2020.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

It's hard to be separated. I'm so sorry Raspy. :(

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm sorry you're not able to be with your family, Raspy. There are times, though, that I wouldn't mind switching places with you. YOU HAVE HAIR?!?!!? ;) :D

I gave myself a haircut a few weeks ago. I've got a bald spot and my hair has thinned over the years, but what's there grows pretty fast. I'm well overdue for another cut. I don't like cutting my own hair, but I can't go on like this. I like keeping my hair very short, but haven't quite gotten the courage to just buzz it with the clippers.

Good luck with everything! I hope you and your family are able to maintain your health and that you can be together soon.

3. headcronie

Ditto to what Jig said. Thinning quite a bit these past few years. Nice growing bald spot. No haircut since February. I was due to get one and then the world was thrown upside down. Now I've got long hair and it's starting to get rather unruly. I'm getting tempted to get an electric clipper with adjustable guards, and have my better half give it a try. But as she won't even use my electric razor to shave my face, I fear I may just end up looking like Cousin It. I won't go to a barber / salon, not while this craziness ensues. My hair can wait. :)

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Thank you for the kind words, my friends. This crisis is turning to be quite the trial. But I count myself and my family as lucky: we're coming through this without having suffered any personal loss. There's so much suffering all around us that being separated from my family doesn't look so bad in comparison. It hurts, but every day I'm relieved to known my loved ones are well. And it really helps to have this great place called Brighthand to share with friends and get some much needed support.

I found that regular exercise helps a lot with this situation. Every night I end up too tired to stay awake thinking or feeling sorry for myself. I've been going to sleep at around 9 PM, that's about 2 hours earlier than I used to. I wake up at 5:30 AM, get ready, and go for my dawn ride. Cycling lifts my mood and it remains that way throughout the day. Staying busy and tired is much better than idle and depressed. Today I was especially happy because for the first time I was able to cycle up the rocky ramp of the bridge without setting a foot on the ground or dragging my bike along :newpalm:

Thanks, jig! Yes, I have a full head of hair. Luckily I inherited Mom's hair, meaning I have a thick, black mane. Well, there's some silver on it now, but that's kind of fashionable now :D. Had the mane, actually, until last night. My brothers inherited Dad's hair, so they're all going bald. Ironically, I keep my hair very short, while they keep it much longer. At the barber's I usually ask for the clippers with the #3 guide comb, which leaves hair 10mm (3/8") long. I used to keep it shorter, with the #2 comb (6mm, 1/4") but since I'm overweight my face looks too round with so short hair. I hope I can lose some more weight to go back to # 2. My first self-administered haircut wasn't such a harrowing experience as I feared. I did have to summon courage for the first pass of the clippers, but once I had done that I just had to keep going and finish the job.
    Heh heh... "unruly" is just the word I was looking for to describe what my head looked like until last night. Luckily weather is cold here, so I could get away by hiding under a wool hat or baseball cap. I was contemplating buying a comb or brush to de-unrulyze my head, but decided that enough was enough and got the clippers instead. I'm not sure how I look now. From the front looks passable, almost ok, but it's hard to be sure about the back, even with two mirrors or snapping a pic with my phone. None of my co-workers has said anything. I guess this means it's ok. Or maybe they're just laughing behind my back? Better not to ask :D

TL-DR: raspy is still holding the fort, feeling strong and calm despite everything. Will do my best to keep it that way < cue chorus from Elton John's "I'm still standing", one of raspy's favorite tunes> :)

5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I'm lucky. My hair place opened up again a week ago and I got my first haircut in over 2 months yesterday. What a relief. Too many bald spots to pull off the "Silver Fox" look, so I like to keep it short as well. The hair place is taking very good precautions. They even refuse to use blow driers (I don't need one) because it disperses air across distances. Had to wait in car, had to wear mask, had to have symptoms checked, had to use sanitizer before entering, etc. If I die, at least I'll look good. :vbgrin: :vbrolleyes:

lelisa13p, raspabalsa, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Raspy, I'm so glad that you & your family are healthy! Congrats on riding up that bridge.

I'm praying that things will work out someway or somehow for you to get to your loved ones & back safely.

Hang in there!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Depending on the manner of your demise, of course:
    1. Covid-19? Yes
    2. Ravaged by a love-sick moose? Maybe
    3. Lost a bet to fight a honey-badger? NO

raspabalsa, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  8. headcronie

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

raspabalsa, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  10. headcronie

Yeah... riiiight. Mmmhmmm.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk