How are you faring in this worldwide crisis?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 17, 2020.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hello all. This is a very hard time for us all, and I'm worried about my family and friends. BH has been one of my favorite places for the last 16 years, and I consider many of you my best friends, even if we haven't met face to face. This forum has been very quiet for the last few days, and I understand each one needs to focus on their own family group. Still, I would like to hear from my friends whenever possible, and I will share how I am faring this crisis so far.

I'm having a difficult time right now. I'm working in Bolivia, my kids are in Ecuador, and my wife is in Colombia. Both Ecuador and Colombia have to all effects closed their borders, and international travelers are admitted only under extreme circumstances. If I entered either country I'd be placed under quarantine for at least 14 days, hopefully at home, but still I'd run to the risk to infect my family if I were already carrying the virus. So it was with a very heavy heart that I told my wife and kids that I'll stay in Bolivia for the duration of this crisis, and I don't know when I'll see them again. My daughter's birthday is in 9 days, and I have her present here: a Pioneer DJ controller I purchased in Colombia. She dreams about becoming a DJ, and I'd love to see her mixing electronic music on that console. That will have to wait.

In Bolivia the government hasn't yet declared a curfew or the suspension or work. At the plant we're still working full shifts. In fact, this month we've boosted production to unprecedented levels due to several changes I've implemented in the last two months. We're now producing more than 50% over last year's average. I'm worried that we'll have to suspend labor just when we're in such a good run. But our health and safety are first. We'll have to catch up after the crisis passes.

To end with a happier tone, I'm in good health, enjoying my afternoon cycling, and have my movies and games with me. I have never been one to revel in going out and meeting people. Quite the contrary, so I'm confident I'll be able to withstand an eventual stay at home order without suffering from loneliness. And there's always BH to enjoy some silly moments with good friends! :newpalm:

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

We are doing well at home. Spring break started for the kids on 3/6, and we took a ski trip to Colorado, staying in Frisco and skiing at Loveland, Copper Mountain and Breckenridge. My mother-in-law, who lives with us, decided last minute to join us. There had been reports of coronavirus in the area (Summit County), so we were nervous. Flying made us nervous, too. We returned home 3/13 and have worked hard to disinfect all our luggage, clothing and gear. Everyone is symptom-free.

Our schools and churches closed. They just announced restaurant dining areas are going to be closed, too. Other businesses are either closing or limiting hours, etc. It's a crazy time and people seem to be panicking. I'm concerned not only for the general health of everyone, I'm also worried about all the panic buying, weakening of the economy, and reports that there are lines of people buying guns and ammunition in case of zombie wars or something. I mean...what?

I ventured out to stock up on provisions. Many of the stores' shelves are bare of toilet paper and cleaning supplies, as well as some foods. We're told the grocery supply chain is strong and we expect items to restock. I don't want to shop very often, so I tried to stock up on enough to allow us to stay home for a week or a bit more. I wish we had more fresh fruits and vegetables. I'll probably head out and pick up a few more things in the coming days, but I take care to limit contact with people, and when I return home, I change clothes and wash thoroughly. I'm especially concerned because my kids have asthma and my mother-in-law, while very strong and healthy, is 90.

Today is supposed to be relatively warm (40's F) and sunny, so we hope to get some fresh air outside, maybe going to for a hike or bike ride. It's just been the 5 of us together for 12 days with little or no interactions with anyone else. I regularly work from home, so no real change for me. The kids are home from school at least through 3/30. My mother-in-law isn't going out. My wife hasn't returned to her office, yet, and is on a video conference call right now discussing work plans. We might end up going a bit crazy pretty soon!

Economic stresses are a factor, too. Right after I was hired a few years ago, my employer (a large bank) was exposed for numerous scandals and is under a lot of restrictions while undergoing dramatic organizational, operational, and infrastructure changes. My work environment has gone from dysfunctional to non-functional, and I worry about my future role. My wife was recently promoted to a newly created role at her work at a local university, but the school has a serious financial deficit. They are cutting pay, furloughing and laying off faculty and staff, so she's feeling stressed, too. We've also watched our retirement savings plummet, but I'm not horribly worried given past recoveries.

All-in-all, everything is very strange. I'm also concerned about family and friends across the globe. My parents are self-isolating in their home in Florida and the last time I spoke with them, they were in good health and good spirits. I wish I were closer to offer help, but my older brother lives in the area. I haven't spoken much with my siblings or other relatives, but trust all is well for the moment. I'm glad to have this great online community here at BH and wish everyone well. Please take good care of your physical as well as emotional health, my friends! :newpalm:

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Hello Raspy!

Things in the US, vary by city, county and state. Here in Minnesota, we're likely a day or two away from complete lock-down / quarantine.

Schools shut down state wide at the end of today. Some schools started closing this past Sunday. All restaurants, pubs, social gathering places, sports, etc are shutting down at 5pm today. People are struggling. Job losses are rolling in left and right now.

I work in K-12 education. My district shut down this past Sunday. Yesterday and today were designated for faculty to get cram sessions on how to do remote / distance learning. Students could stop in to pick up supplies they left in the buildings. I'm 100% certain in person instruction will not resume this school year. I work in IT in the district. For now, we're moving forward. It will be very interesting.

My wife as some of you know, is a Pastor. Churches have been shut down. We're trying to rapidly adapt to providing meaningful service through multiple remote methods, as well as pastoral care. It's a whirlwind. Churches with more staff, have a bit of an advantage should they employ technically inclined people. I've been pulling double duty and assisting with tech as I can for her church. I'm learning new things as fast as I can. Multimedia production, streaming, phone in conference calls. All things new for me... we're trying our hardest.

Our stores are running out of supplies. Toilet-paper was hyped, and now shelves are barren. Meat isles are empty. Pasta noodles are gone. If you live in a densely populated area, you'll have a harder time finding supplies. I live on the outskirts of the largest metro in the state. Last I saw, inventory was picked over, but not decimated in my local stores. My home town, is a different story. Stores are decimated. Signs are at the entrance to Costco, laying out exactly what items are still left in stock, and which aren't. Limits of 2 of any of those items are imposed and enforced. As Jig said, the stores said their supply chains are in good standing. They'll get replenished. I pray for all their safety.

These are uncertain times. I feel the anxiety, and sadness of those around me. We're trying our best...

Please take care of yourself as best you can...

Brian

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 3 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

sorry that you'll be separated from your family, raspy, for the duration -- here in the US, the duration is unknown, and getting longer, it seems.

personally, I and my family are okay to date, but in part that's because my boys are young men, and not in grade schools -- grade schools are all closed. In neighboring states, "non-essential" businesses are supposed to be closed - translation: bars and restaurants are closed, except for takeout food. grocery, gas stations, banks, post offices, most stores are open, but if located in a mall, the mall is likely to be closed, due to 'gatherings of more than 10 (or 50 or 1000, it has been evolving) are strongly discouraged. New Jersey has a driving curfew in place, to try to force people to comply ('resistance is futile, you will be assimilated'). Living in Delaware, there are fewer restrictions in place, but since we're trying to be sensible, we're following many of the restrictions voluntarily.

on a lighter note, and meaning no disrespect to the lady involved, the NJ governor's press conference yesterday had a woman signing -- just let me say that watching her work was 'interesting.'

stay well, my friends! Rick

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  5. headcronie

My dyslexia lead me to read that as someone was singing during the meeting. I know we all stand to get a little off center in times of stress, but singing?

I started the video, then realized that you said signing. Yes... that makes more sense. Minnesota has sign language interpreters at their conferences as well.

Pardon me, my center appears to be off balance... :eek:

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

np, happens to me all the tim-- oh, look! Shiny!!!

7. raspabalsa

I'm glad to hear about all of you, and thanks for sharing! Your stories are similar to what my family tells me about the situation in Colombia and Ecuador. Supermarkets were mostly emptied during the weekend hysteria - yes, there is no other way to call it. Now stores are slowly being replenished. My wife and her family are very religious, and it was only after being very insistent that I convinced Mrs R to stop going to church, and instead pray at home with her family, or follow the Catholic TV channel. Then she had to be very insistent with her parents, both elderly persons. Kids on both sides of the family are receiving classes online. It's funny to see pictures of my kids in their pajamas concentrating on their lessons!

Thanks for the sympathy, Rick. You're all very lucky to be with your loved ones during this crisis. I'm trying to ready myself mentally for the 2 or 3 months I'll be away from them all. I may take up watching Game of Thrones on Netflix :D :D

8. raspabalsa

Oh no! I just checked Netflix and GoT is not available!!!! I'm doomed!! :D :D

9. headcronie

I totally blew through that part, Raspy. Good grief. I'm so sorry... :(

I can't envision what it would be like to be separated from your family during these times. Know that you're in my thoughts!

This is a world wide event like none of us have ever seen before. We're now one people, working together trying to regain control this situation. It's good that we have a place where we can keep in contact with one another. We'll need social outlets as the days progress. Thanks for being my BH family!

10. raspabalsa

Don't worry, HC. We all have too many things to worry about already. I blew the part where you put your first name, I don't think I knew it before that post. I'm Marco, by the way. Thank you, I started this thread because I needed comfort and it's good to receive so much so quickly :)

It's amazing how many novels and movies I've read and seen about epidemias or pandemias, yet I feel completely unprepared to face this. I remember a novel by Tom Clancy called "Executive Orders" where Iran fundamentalists launch a biological attack that starts an epidemia in the US. Jack Ryan had been recently appointed POTUS and he ordered a country-wide curfew and suspended air and road travel. Back when I read it (mid 90s) I thought that was way far-fetched. It seemed unthinkable to paralyze a whole country that way. But now this is happening world-wide. The scale is simply staggering.

I hope we all keep in contact here like it's been for so many years.

guywolffe, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.