How 2 Transfer Mac Palm Data 2 iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by googen, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. googen

googen Newbie

Does anyone know of an app that will allow me to EASILY & QUICKLY transfer all my Mac Palm Desktop Memo data w/categories, Contacts, w/categories, and To Dos, w/CATEGOREIS, To an Apple iPhone in a seemless and quick way? If not, is anyone developing one as i'm sick and tired of 10-YEARS of corrupting palm hotsync issues (w/ 'sell all my palm stock' level, extremely poor, indian based palm support), and can't I take it anymore. I have about 4500 memos & contacts in 15-categories. Thank you

2. Pupator

Pupator Guest

iPhone doesn't do "To Do" or "Memos" (not sync'ed at least). So "no" on those.

The contacts part is easy, just get them into iContacts (or whatever the heck it's called; maybe it's a part of Mail? - Whatever you Mac people use for contacts if not Outlook) and then iTunes can sync it to the iPhone.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Mark/Space advertises The Missing Sync's ability to easily convert and synchronize user data of all types from Palm OS based smartphones to iPhone devices.

Read more at:
    www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13596
    -

4. fisherKing

fisherKing boddhisatva

you can export the contacts from palm desktop, then import that file (vcards i think, am not at my mac) into apple's address book; don't think you'll get your categories tho...

then sync to your iphone...

careful, make sure everything is backed up, and you don't lose anything already in address book.

no conduits for to-dos and memos (sigh...)

5. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

If I remember correctly, the export from Palm Desktop is no problem, but the import is a pain.

Try what I did: Simply start up iSync, turn on Palm syncing, and make sure your Palm is identified. Then shut off ALL the Palm conduits in Palm HotSync Manager (just the iSync conduit active). * Set the iSync conduit to Handheld overwrites desktop and sync. The conduit will put all your contacts into Address Book and Calendar into iCal.

After that, you're golden. You don't really need iSync anymore either.

* Realize that iSync doesn't sync the device directly. It uses Palm's Hotsync manager to pass the data to Sync Services and Sync Services passes the data to the iApps.

6. gargans

gargans Newbie

Look out folks, the village idiot has just entered the bolg.

I am looking for a way to get 12 years of data from my Palm Vx (utilizing the Palm OS windows version 4.1.4) into an Apple 3G iPhone. I have held off all these years from purchasing a 'smart phone' due to the percieved massive task of entering all of the data by hand, but I need to now consult the 'experts' as to a better way to perform this.

Thanks.

7. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Welcome to Brighthand gargans

What parts of posts 3, 4 & 5 did you not understand? We would be happy to explain it further, but we need to know what the problem is.

8. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

using fisherking or RobbM's method you still may have issues with the categories, in fact, I'm pretty sure of it, well at least into Address Book (that's the name Pupator was looking for ... iContacts, sheesh :p).

something to do with creating the database "all" first and no "code" to then do the category thing.

this works for contacts and events, then sync to phone, eh?

Don't know about MissingSync's abilities to do the color categories or categories in general? Anyone?

Workaround? Import only one category at a time, select the last import drag to a folder/category. Don't forget to change the color with edit.

repeat for the next import of a Palm category.

9. RobbM

Yep. Categories are right out right now. HOWEVER, I'm betting there will be a full-scale revolt if calendars from iCal don't sync with the FW 2.0 update tomorrow. Of course, I'll also bet that your categories from PD will not stick when you sync them to iCal. But if you go one at a time, they will be "unfiled" and then you can make them into what you want after they're in iCal.

10. reggie999

reggie999 Newbie

I think I did most of this EXCEPT I only shut off the Addressbook conduit instead of all of the conduits. My Palm Contacts came over to iCal just fine, but not my Palm Calendar. Now I can't find the Calendar conduit again to repeat the process (the only conduits showing in Conduit Settings in HotSync Manger are: Backup, Install, iSync, Memo and Media).

Any suggestions how I can get my Palm Calendar data over?

Thanks.

11. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

welcome reggie999!

do you mean where on the HD is the conduit located? If so, on a mac,
    "HD name"/library/application support/palm hotsync/ ... now you have a choice of conduits or disabled conduits.

for some strange reason these folders don't show up under spotlight? :confused:

12. reggie999

reggie999 Newbie

Thanks. I checked the folder and see that both my Addressbook conduit and the Calendar conduit are disabled. So I can't figure out why only my Palm contacts, and not my calendar, were transferred to the Mac via iSync.

13. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Hmmm ... not sure, but you can simply drag and drop those conduits into the conduits folder (as opposed to the disabled conduits) and they will show up in hotsync manager.

You know I've kind of lost track here, are you trying to go Palm PDA => Palm desktop app => iCal/Address Book?

14. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Ok, something I actually know about here :) So you want to sync categories. Simple. 1. On your palm desktop, if you can...(I use now up to date and contact and MS), select all of the contacts in one category. Export those to a text file. 2. Then, in address Book, go to File, Import, text file, match up the fields, and import. 3. THEN....make a new group and call it what you want. Take the "last import" and drag them to this new group, which is named the same category you selected first, on the palm desktop.
    You now have the Apple equivalent of a category in your address book.

Next, go to your NEXT category in palm, select all of that one, and repeat the above. What you are doing here, is making new groups, that correspond to your palm categories. Each import, you will select all of the "last import" and drag them to your new Group. Then start on your next category, export, import, drag to new group all over again.

Its a pain, but its accurate.

BTW, regarding the calendar....Unless you can find some utility to export and import that info accurately, I would suggest what I did. I printed out a text list of all my events for the next year or two, and just manually entered them into ical. For me, it was a lot simpler and faster than messin around a whole day trying to do it the "easy" way. I was suprised that it really wasn't that big of a deal. If I ever need to check out old stuff, its always in my old calendars.

15. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Right on your strategy was mine with the exception that before I moved on I changed the color of the category ... BTW I did the one category at a time method to send my calendar to iCal too.

Reggie999, I just looked in my disabled conduit folder, even thought I don't use it anymore, and I have these disabled: Apple, Address, Calendar, Contacts, and Datebook.

So the fact that your Palm Contacts was synced is probably because during your setup of iSync the Apple conduit was "enabled" and one or two of the others above was "disabled". The Apple conduit allows you to sync calendar and contact information via iSync.

I don't recall whether you have to tweak the settings in iSync to actually sync contacts or not, that is, overwriting or syncing. The only thing I recall is that the initial step was the process that rkevwill described.

Keep in mind that rkevwill's workaround is not as complex as described, his method is for multiple categories.

16. reggie999

reggie999 Newbie

Thanks. What I'm trying to do is copy my Palm Treo Calendar data (which I have till now been synching to Palm Desktop on a Windows PC) to iCal on my iMac (and thus to my new iPhone).

I was able to transfer my Palm Contacts data to Address Book on the iMac using a combination of iSync and Hotsync Manager on the iMac - from memory I just opened iSync and followed the instructions from there (which involved enabling Palm OS Syncing (in iSync) and installing the iSync HotSync Conduit etc, then doing a HotSync with the Palm device attached to my iMac - similar to RobbM's suggestion above). In the course of doing all that, I had to disable some Palm conduits. Following the prompts was pretty easy and the Contacts data transferred to the iMac painlessly. What I don't understand is why my Palm Calendar data didn't come too. I really don't want to have to re-enter all that data in iCal manually.

There was no need to transfer the Contacts data first into Palm Desktop on my iMac - and in fact I am not able to do that.

Looking in the folders you pointed me to, the currently enabled conduits are: Apple, Install, Backup, Memo and Photos. The currently disabled conduits are: Addressbook, Contacts, Calendar, Datebook, Tasks and To Do. I tried dragging the Calendar/Datebook conduits back into the enabled folder and then syncing again, but that didn't help.

So I'm kind of stuck.

17. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

OK, well that confirms iSync is setup correctly. It should have, according to Apple, transferred from your Treo contacts and calendar via the Apple conduit to iCal and Address Book, Shoot!

Sorry for asking a dumb question but how did you confirm that iCal did not have the calendar info? I seem to recall that the default is set to, say, "work" category, but all of your info could have transferred to say "home". <EDIT: just click on home in this case and your events should be there ... > ... And then there is the possibility that your Treo stuff is in a "private" calendar which won't transfer via iSync, or won't be viewable in a "public" calendar in iCal. You see what I mean the permutations can befuddle even a techy!

That's why I said screw it all and just made all my apps and devices Apple because the cross-platform stuff was killing me (AgendusPro, NowUpToDate, PalmDT, etc.), even the above distinctions can mess up Missing Sync, I used that in the past too.

OK follow rkevwill or RobbM's solution re making a TXT or CSV then that file can be converted to a vCard, which can be imported to AB. 3 steps, however, if you have multiple categories use rekevwill's solution, that's what I did. Need any clarification just ask.

Definitely don't do the events manually! These methods work! :newpalm:

18. reggie999

reggie999 Newbie

Ok, to address your above points:

1 I checked - there was no data of any sort in any iCal calendar.

2 I don't know how to create a TXT file in Palm DT on my PC. I can only get it to export to one kind of file format (I think it is called .dba in Palm's Datebook, though I haven't re-checked the exact name) - I exported that format to a disk but the iMac doesn't recognise that kind of file. Ditto for CSV, I don't know if it's possible (or if so how) to create a CSV from Palm DT on my PC.

However, I am happy to report my problem has been solved by trial and error. In the iSync window I noticed that both the Contacts and Calendar boxes were checked, yet running iSync only transferred Contacts data. So I unchecked the Contacts box and ran iSync again with only the Calendar box checked. Hey presto, the data came across to iCal - all 3,804 items. I guess it can only do one conduit at a time.

So I'm happy now and I can put my Treo into retirement...Thanks very much for all the help, I appreciate it.

19. RobbM

You did exactly what I was going to suggest you do.

It should be able to sync all the data at once. Now that the info is in iCal, enable the sync for both and everything should be just fine. Perhaps the volume of data you were trying to move choked the conduit or it mistakenly thought it was set to do nothing. Sometimes in Mac-land the GUI doesn't always accurately reflect the true state of things and toggling kicks it in the pants.

For example, I have an HP 4 X 6 photo printer. Often when I try to print, I set everything up correctly and it still tells me the "custom paper size" cannot be used. Uh, 4 X 6 isn't custom.... So I just tell it to print again and presto. I haven't been able to resolve it, but the workaround is pretty simple.

20. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

awsome I love to see macheads happy with their macs! :p