How 2 Transfer Mac Palm Data 2 iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by googen, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. googen

googen Newbie

Does anyone know of an app that will allow me to EASILY & QUICKLY transfer all my Mac Palm Desktop Memo data w/categories, Contacts, w/categories, and To Dos, w/CATEGOREIS, To an Apple iPhone in a seemless and quick way? If not, is anyone developing one as i'm sick and tired of 10-YEARS of corrupting palm hotsync issues (w/ 'sell all my palm stock' level, extremely poor, indian based palm support), and can't I take it anymore. I have about 4500 memos & contacts in 15-categories. Thank you

2. Pupator

Pupator Guest

iPhone doesn't do "To Do" or "Memos" (not sync'ed at least). So "no" on those.

The contacts part is easy, just get them into iContacts (or whatever the heck it's called; maybe it's a part of Mail? - Whatever you Mac people use for contacts if not Outlook) and then iTunes can sync it to the iPhone.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Mark/Space advertises The Missing Sync's ability to easily convert and synchronize user data of all types from Palm OS based smartphones to iPhone devices.

Read more at:
    www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13596
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. fisherKing

fisherKing boddhisatva

you can export the contacts from palm desktop, then import that file (vcards i think, am not at my mac) into apple's address book; don't think you'll get your categories tho...

then sync to your iphone...

careful, make sure everything is backed up, and you don't lose anything already in address book.

no conduits for to-dos and memos (sigh...)

5. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

If I remember correctly, the export from Palm Desktop is no problem, but the import is a pain.

Try what I did: Simply start up iSync, turn on Palm syncing, and make sure your Palm is identified. Then shut off ALL the Palm conduits in Palm HotSync Manager (just the iSync conduit active). * Set the iSync conduit to Handheld overwrites desktop and sync. The conduit will put all your contacts into Address Book and Calendar into iCal.

After that, you're golden. You don't really need iSync anymore either.

* Realize that iSync doesn't sync the device directly. It uses Palm's Hotsync manager to pass the data to Sync Services and Sync Services passes the data to the iApps.

6. gargans

gargans Newbie

Look out folks, the village idiot has just entered the bolg.

I am looking for a way to get 12 years of data from my Palm Vx (utilizing the Palm OS windows version 4.1.4) into an Apple 3G iPhone. I have held off all these years from purchasing a 'smart phone' due to the percieved massive task of entering all of the data by hand, but I need to now consult the 'experts' as to a better way to perform this.

Thanks.

7. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Welcome to Brighthand gargans

What parts of posts 3, 4 & 5 did you not understand? We would be happy to explain it further, but we need to know what the problem is.

8. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

using fisherking or RobbM's method you still may have issues with the categories, in fact, I'm pretty sure of it, well at least into Address Book (that's the name Pupator was looking for ... iContacts, sheesh :p).

something to do with creating the database "all" first and no "code" to then do the category thing.

this works for contacts and events, then sync to phone, eh?

Don't know about MissingSync's abilities to do the color categories or categories in general? Anyone?

Workaround? Import only one category at a time, select the last import drag to a folder/category. Don't forget to change the color with edit.

repeat for the next import of a Palm category.

9. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

Yep. Categories are right out right now. HOWEVER, I'm betting there will be a full-scale revolt if calendars from iCal don't sync with the FW 2.0 update tomorrow. Of course, I'll also bet that your categories from PD will not stick when you sync them to iCal. But if you go one at a time, they will be "unfiled" and then you can make them into what you want after they're in iCal.

10. reggie999

reggie999 Newbie

I think I did most of this EXCEPT I only shut off the Addressbook conduit instead of all of the conduits. My Palm Contacts came over to iCal just fine, but not my Palm Calendar. Now I can't find the Calendar conduit again to repeat the process (the only conduits showing in Conduit Settings in HotSync Manger are: Backup, Install, iSync, Memo and Media).

Any suggestions how I can get my Palm Calendar data over?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.