Hotsync hangs on Calendar

Discussion in 'Palm TX' started by erosebud, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erosebud

erosebud Newbie

Friends:
    Things are going swimmingly, but for the last couple of days my hotsync has been hanging at Calendar. I've done a search, and the closest answer seems to be a corrupt entry. (It really hangs: canceling doesn't work; I have to use the Windows Task Manager and soft reset the TX.)
    I can get by, of course, just setting Calendar to Do Nothing. But I'd like to fix it. Since I hotsync two or three times a day, I doubt that overwriting from the desktop backup will help. Any suggestions?
  2. AlanG

AlanG Newbie

Hello Michael.

I'm assuming that the computer has the most up to date version of your calendar? If that is correct, I would suggest trying to set the Calendar conduit to Desktop overwrites Handheld and then HotSync. Using the overwrite option will in struct the HotSync Manager to replace the calendar database with a fresh copy from your computer.

When you are done with the HotSync operation, don't forget to set the conduit back to Synchronize and then try to HotSync again to see if everything is working normally again.

Alan G
  3. erosebud

erosebud Newbie

Thanks, Alan. If by "most up to date version" you mean just the current version of the application, I'm with you. But if you mean "the latest things you've added to your Calendar" (actually Datebk5), then I've got a number of additions made since the last successful synchronization. These, I presume, would not be "restored" from the desktop since they never got there. I could write them in a memo and transfer them, I suppose, but I was hoping for a simpler way. Keep me posted, and thanks again.
  4. hellbus

hellbus Newbie

I had this problem a while back with Datebk5.

In the Datebk5 ZIP file there is an app called DBSCAN. Try scannning your DB for errors, Also check for and clean any "dirty flags". That'll usually fix this problem. for Datebk5

If that doesn't work, you could try selecting "desktop overwrites handheld" for the next hotsync (assuming that the data on your palm desktop is the latest.
  5. AlanG

AlanG Newbie

That is correct. If you were to set the Date Book/Caldendar conduit to Desktop overwites Handheld, any records on the Palm that are not in the computer would be lost. If the Palm has the most complete and accurarte accouting of your schedule, then I would flip it - making Handheld overwrites Desktop the conduit setting to use. If you've been updating both the desktop and the Palm, well, then I'm not sure of any easy way of of it.

I don't use Datebk 5, so I would hellbus' suggestion of using DBscan to see if that corrects any records in the Datebook.pdb file.

Alan G
  6. erosebud

erosebud Newbie

Thanks, all. My frequent hotsyncs did make it useless to have one place override the other, as they were both much the same (at the point I noticed the problem). So I just jotted down my newest appointments and todos in the memo pad--there's probably an export feature, but I couldn't find it--and bit the bullet. Desktop overrode handheld, and with a couple minutes' work, everything is fine again.