Hotsync fails to load large files

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by rich222, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rich222

rich222 Newbie

I'm trying to recover data that disappeared from my old palm zire 72. (it's been in a drawer for about 8 years)

Hotsync seems to have managed to get some files back onto it but it's having problems with satnav maps.

Every time it locks up at 127 mb of the 220mb transfer.

Given that it's stopping at 127, I assume this is a bug.

Is there any other way to get the files back onto the palm?

I'm using an xp machine and the direct usb lead which appears as a serial port.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, rich222.

This is a common error. Hotsync is not the best option for large file transfer. A much better and faster way is to use a computer to copy the files to an SD card. Then you can insert the card in the palm and use a file manager to copy the files to the internal memory if needed, or leave them in the card. Check the documentation of Satnav to see if and where it can read files from an SD card.

lelisa13p, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  3. rich222

rich222 Newbie

Many thanks, I will give that a try! I wasn't sure (or rather couldn't remember) if the palm uses FAT file format...

Do the files on the PC just need to be copied directly to SD card or do they need to reside in a specific directory on the SD card?

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

PalmOS devices can read and write to SD cards formatted to FAT, but I'm not sure if the Zire72 can read cards formatted to FAT32. If yours can't, try installing the FAT32 driver from Palmpowerups.

Where the files go in the card, depends on the program that will use them, or whether you're going to move them to the Palm's internal storage. If the files have .PDB or .PRC extension, then they can go in the internal storage, which is flat (does not have folders), so you can use a file manager to move them there. If the files are any other extension, then they must remain in the SD card. If in doubt, leave them in the Palm/Launcher folder of the card, or in the Palm/Programs/<program name> folder. But better try to find a manual for the app you're using.

5. rich222

rich222 Newbie

Thanks raspabalsa!

jigwashere likes this.