Hotsync error: USB device not recognized

Discussion in 'Palm' started by luigi, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

Everything for working fine up to yesterday.
    This morning, I cannot hotsync anymore with my desktop computer.
    Each time I put LD on cradle, I get an error sayng "USB device not recognized" on my PC. And that the device is malfunctioning.
    I did try:
    reset my PC
    soft reset my LD
    change USB port
    use a usb sync cable instead of the cradle

nothing, zero.
    I did not have any PC problem since yesterday, no new software installed, either on PC or LD sides. I only have a soft reset yesterday night, cause by Xiino ( I cannot recall the error, but didn't look anything important to me).

Any suggestion?

BTW, the only thing I noticed is that now, with my LD on cradle charging the battery, the light is green, whereas up to yesterday, was always red, also after hours of fully charge...

Luigi

2. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

For a reason that I don't know, suddently my LD, located in the cradle, turned on. And, as a miracle, on my PC appeared, bottom right, the LD maneger window, saying "your LD is connected and ready". I hit hotsync, and it hotsynced, without any problem...

REally, why such things happen? This is my fourth Palm, and I never experienced such unresponsive, and unreliable, behaviour...is like having a car that suddenly stops to go, or turns on by itself, or doors open on the highway @ 150 Km/h...

What the hell with Palm, can they fix the INCREDIBLE number of issues with Lifedrive?

I think that someone in US should really try to sue Palm Inc. to sell defective hardware. THey should allow people all around the world to give LD back, if they want, and have back all the moneys they spend for...

Luigi

3. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Is the cradle plugged into the USB port directly connected to your computer's motherboard or is it connected to a secondary port or hub? If the latter, Windows can be tempermental.

4. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

Straight ahead on the motherboard ports. As well as other units...never had any problem, with any peripheral. Actually, is the same port were my former M515 and my T3 were connected. None of them experienced, NEVER, similar problems...M515 got SUDS a couple of times, resolved with a battery drain. But that was a problem of the USB connector inside Palm, and not a USB port or PC problem...
    I smear this is also something related with LD: why the hell, after a month of use, the led light is now green, whereas since yesterday was ALWAY orange, also after hours of recharge? This sound weird...

Luigi

5. LD Lee

LD Lee PDA/Smartphone Geek

Luigi,

Do you have any other devices connected via USB to the computer? I have had problems with Windows getting messed up by having conflicts with USB devices, in short the "losing" device quit working. Rebooting and disconnecting the "bad" device solved my problem.

If the cradle is your only device .... then never mind.:D

6. snugent44

snugent44 Mobile Enthusiast

I have this same problem and my LifeDrive is the only device I have connected to a USB input. I have to wiggle and hold the connection to the LifeDrive to get the computer to recognize it. This happens when I plug directly into the USB cable or through the cradle that I wish I could return. I am thinking that I have to get a Bluetooth adapter for my computer so I can sync that way. I assume that would work.

7. LD Lee

I have used bluetooth sync quite a bit and it has worked very well for me. . I have a third party adapter for my PC. The LD setup "wizard" worked very well. It is a little slow on hot syncing via Bluetooth.

I have also noticed that the LD does not sit very well in it's expensive cradle. It is loose and rocks around. IMHO the connector design is very poor. I have also noticed the cable to LD connection loosens up after several weeks, again due to the poor design.

8. josteos

josteos Mobile Enthusiast

I also have constant problems getting the LD to be recognized in windows. usually I have to re-seat it a few times. I've had it cause WinXP Sp2 to BSOD once when I reset it.

I agree that the plug interface on the LD is lame. I think a standard USB interface would have been a much better idea. Especially since the overpriced cradle doesn't work with it very well at all.

9. Single650

Single650 Mobile Consultant

Treat the Palm cradle with suspicion when using it with a lifedrive. The device is heavy (for the cradle) and rocks back. This seems to loosen the connector in the LD which leads quite quickly to the internal connector ribbon fracturing. Mine started intermittently charging and then the audio out through the cradle started breaking down. result I'm currently using an antique Ipaq whilst LD is at the doctors :mad:

10. LD Lee

Well, no sooner (almost) than I made this post I tried to Bluetooth Hotsync, and it failed with a "Port already in use error". I am still playing around for a solution.

There is another thread concerning Bluetooth hotsync problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.