hotsync by wifi

Discussion in 'Palm' started by davedude, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davedude

davedude Mobile Consultant

i am trying to sync my tc through my home wirless connection to my pc. yet this is not working. if i search for a pc it does not find one. then gives me the option to chose one. i hve put in my pc name to see if this works. yet is does not.

does anyone know how i can do this?

Thanks
    Dave

2. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

Hello Dave.

Make sure that you turn on the Network option in the HotSync Manager. When the Network option turned on, your T|C should find your PC.

If you are still having trouble, check the Network HotSync directions in the Palm Handbook.

Alan G

3. rugby4ne1

rugby4ne1 Mobile Evangelist

You also have to open port 14237 and 14238 on your router...
    Then it should work.
    Enjoy!

4. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

What are these ports? I've never had to open a port. If a PC and a TC can access the internet via a router, what difference would the ports make? Just wondering.

Besides, I don't think DaveDude has a router, have you DaveDude?

5. curly

curly Mobile Deity

Be aware opening ports would only need to happen if you were on the outside of the router (WAN) but not inside (LAN). Opening ports lets the packets pass thru the router from the internet. If your T|C and PC are on the LAN side you dont need to open ports for a Hotsync to happen.

If he doesnt have a router, but has a network adapter on his PC then an ADHOC connection would have to be made. If his network includes a router then a infrastructure or ADHOC connection can be made. Its easy, just follow the instructions in the manual or start here Hotsync Troubleshooting KB .

Good luck and have a good weekend,

Curly~

6. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

Thanks for answering my question Curly. I would need to open ports if, for example, I wanted to hotsync from a WiFi hotspot if my PC was at home. I always fancied trying this, but free hotspots are rare here.

7. Deej

Deej Mobile Evangelist

If you have some sort of software firewall running _on_ the windows box, such as XP's IPSecurity or Mcafee's Personal Firewall, you might need to open those ports on the machine. I didn't have to though, and I'm running Mcafee's.

Deej

8. jawbone

jawbone Feeble minded fool

Ports being opened on the router is not the issue on the LAN side. basically all the ports are open on the LAN side... so the best thing to do is turn off the xp firewall - since you have a router anyway..
    then instead of putting the name of the pc always just put in the address. for example 192.168.0.2 or whatever the IP that the router has assigned for the PC that is running the palm desktop software.

9. Deej

Deej Mobile Evangelist

Each of my windows machines are running software firewalls, since I don't use WEP on the wireless, and I use the wireless router as a access point and not as a router (I dial Ricochet wireless modem via an XP machine and share to the network from there, not broadband via a router). So I thought I'd mention the software firewalls.

If you run a wireless network at home without WEP, I would suggest setting up software firewalls on each of your machines if running Windows. Plenty of vulnerabilities in Windows that could be accessed by a drive-by hacker. Keep in mind, this is possible, but likely not very probable. ;)

Deej

10. Outlandr

Outlandr Newbie

Not sure if it still matters, but here's my 2 cents worth.

When HotSyncing with my T|C, I've had to use the IP address rather than the PC name. The scan hasn't ever found the PC by name, but once it has the IP address, it's worked every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.