Hookette's Swinging London Adventure

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Dec 12, 2020.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Oh no...fingers crossed someone is able to work on her.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Knowing Hokette, I'm sure she already got someone working on her... just that it may not be the work Hook intended ;)

Well, at least she's in London now... looks like it's just a matter of waiting. We'll try to keep you entertained, Hook :newpalm:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I really do hope everything works itself out. Hopefully she makes her way back with pristine parts and great stories.

oh-the-places-you'll-go.png

raspabalsa, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I just heard today from FxTec that they indeed did have Hookette. :thumbsup:

In the meantime, I was rummaging around in old electronic drawers (of which I have far too many) and stumbled on an old BT keyboard I used with my Nexus 7. I is small enough to actyally thumb type on and has a groove that I can put my Moto G8 Power in in landscape. It holds the phone pretty securely though a good bump might make the phone fall over, but normal typing doesn't dislodge the phone. It's really quite nice. The picture is bad because I only had my ole Samsung Tablet to take it with.

FakePro1.jpg
    I can't find it on the internet anymore, but here is the post I made when I first got the keyboard:

http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/i-am-considering-a-nexus-7.287574/page-14#post-1876189

By the way, notice that when the keyboard is paired, Android knows not to put the touch keyboard on the screen, just like the Pro1. It's far from perfect, but will get me through the wait. :newpalm: Which is good because I was getting desperate enough to look at the Unihertz Titan, lol.

5. raspabalsa

That actually looks like a cool device. Ticks most of the marks (SD, 3.5mm jack, dual SIM, IP67, large battery), but the square screen and position of the keyboard makes it a landscape-only device. Would be nice to know how it works in the real world. Hook, it's been a week since your last post. Aren't you desperate enough yet? ;):D

6. Hook

I think you meant portrait only. It's also a Mediatek device, which is unfortunate-- no real good options for rooting, using Lineage and such. I've heard some Android apps have problems with the aspect ratio. I'm still tempted...

Media Tek really screwed over Planet Computers for their new Psion-like keyboard phone, the Astro Slide 5G. They were supposed to get the 1000 series SOC from Media Tek, but suddenly were told they couldn't have it and have had to settle for the 8oo series, which is much more of a mid-range SOC. Reduced the battery size too. Boy, are supporters furious. And now they have edited the story page to remove the specs originally promised rather than making a change addendum (which they had for a few days). Too bad. If that had a Snapdragon, it would be tempting (though also not available anytime soon).

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/astro-slide-5g-transformer/x/17980121#/

7. raspabalsa

Yes, I meant portrait. Something must be really wrong with my gyroscope as of late ;):D. I hadn't noticed it's a Media Tek device. I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage that is if not rooting or installing custom ROMs. I'm not really tempted, since I prefer wide screens for my games and movies. But the Titan has a lot of visual appeal, in that it looks like a next generation Treo or Blackberry :newpalm:

8. Hook

So here is a lovely BT thumb board I stumbled on at a discount ($20) on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BX0YKX4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Desperation1.jpg

The hinge is not actually attaching the keyboard and the Moto G8 Power, unfortunately, just the hinge of the phone stand. Here is a shot of just the phone and the thumb board.

Desperation2.jpg

Obviously, i is not as nice as having the thumb board attached, but this is pretty nice. The body is light weight and plasticky, but the keys work well and have good tactile feedback. It has all the keys so I can do terminal stuff like ssh-ing to a Linux server, and having both touchpad mouse and directional cursor keys is wonderful. My only complaint so far is that the space bar is a little narrow and at first I was hitting Alt, bringing up the emoji menu in Android. I have adjusted now and it happens rarely now.

Also, since it is so small and lightweight, I can tuck it easily in a pocket with my phone. I can pull it out or not, depending on whether I need to do real work on my phone or not.

I'm actually surprised how nicely it works. I wasn't expecting a lot when I ordered it. Now, I'm loving it! :newpalm:

And it was a whole lot cheaper than a Unihertz Titan. :thumbsup: Sorry, Raspy. :vbrolleyes:

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Nice thumb board! That spacebar is a bit strange, I think. Do you really need two Alt keys (and/or extra Win and Shift keys)? Oh, well. I can see you building up some huge thumb muscles, though! :D

10. Hook

I believe the second Alt key is standard for international and European languages. Called Alt-Gr, it brings up characters and accents and the like for selection. So someone buying this keyboard in Europe would expect it to be there.