Hookette's Swinging London Adventure

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Dec 12, 2020.

1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Let's hope for number 1!

headcronie, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hook, #1 is not so far-fetched as it may sound. I just remembered we had a similar problem with a much more expensive piece of equipment, a portable XRF, valued at around USD 35000. It broke, we sent it to the manufacturer in the US with the proper RMA and all the customs paperwork indicating it was a temporary export for repairs. On the way back, tracking said it was going to Bolivia, then it apparently was returned to the US, then again it was shown on its way South, but this time to Colombia. We contacted the agent in Colombia because that's where we purchased the XRF, and for a couple of weeks nobody (and I really literally mean nobody) knew where the XRF was or where it was bound to. Everybody just had to wait until one day the news came that it had "probably arrived in Bogota". I had to reprogram my flight twice to pick it up in Bogota because we didn't dare have it shipped from Colombia to Bolivia as freight, lest it become lost again. When the agent in Bogota told me she positively had the XRF in her hands I asked for a proof of life. The first picture she sent me was the front of the XRF and it didn't show the label with the serial number, so I asked for a second picture showing the bottom with the label. The agent obliged, but still I asked for a third picture showing the same label and that day's printed newspaper. She must have hated me for that, but I couldn't risk traveling all the way to Bogota without having that proof. Passing customs in Bolivia was an adventure in itself, because the agents didn't know what to make of the XRF and the thick folder of paperwork I carried with it was like hieroglyphs to them. The XRF was retained in customs for 4 or 5 days, but finally we recovered it. I pledged never to ship it again overseas (overskies ???? - Bolivia has no seas to speak of :D :D) even if that meant fixing it myself with duct tape and silly putty.

Keep hoping for the best, Hook... shipping this time of the year is always bumpy and slow :)

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

International borders, which includes international airports, have zones that are a bit weird. Imagine something shipping from one country to another, but having to pass through 3 or 4 other countries before arriving. You wouldn't want to have to pay taxes and fees for each country it passes through, so these zones are set up to allow the item to pass through without officially entering the country. My guess is that Hookette passed through one of these zones, and as part of the processing, was scanned. While she might have physically been in a NY distribution center, because it was one of these pass-through zones, she may have been scanned by UK customs, making it appear she landed there. And...a subsequent scan showed her actual departure from NY.

In other words, space-time continuum. When she's in the shipping system, she could reside in multiple locations at the same time.

scjjtt, Mi An, headcronie and 4 others like this.
  4. raspabalsa

It's like an air traveler headed to an international connection. When I leave Bolivia and land, say, in Lima for my connection to Medellin, I'm walking on Peruvian sovereign soil, but I haven't passed Migration, meaning I haven't entered Peru yet. And I already left Bolivia and haven't entered Colombia, so I'm really nowhere. No wonder those hallways seem to extended forever in both directions. Continuum... I may be getting the hang of it again after the Avengers: Endgame crisis.

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

You're right. I should have said "...she could reside in multiple locations at the same time, or be nowhere."

Didn't Tom Hanks have to live in an airport for a while? ;)

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  6. raspabalsa

Yes, and he fell in love too... with none other than the gorgeous Catherine Zeta-Jones, who sadly turned down his advances. But I understand her motives: a man with no passport, no country, no defined legal status... he could very well be an escapee from the Phantom Zone. I don't remember General Zod et al ever flashing their passports upon landing on Earth!

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

OMG -- Tom Hanks has Hookette!

8. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Or General Zod! :vbeek:

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Worser:

Have you *ever* seen Hookette and the Chinese lunar lander in the same room? Particularly suspect, due to all the changing body-shells whilst keeping the same name…

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

"Free ports" play into a couple of movies, like 'Tenet,' where expensive artwork is stored to avoid taxes.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk