Hook Looks For a Future New Phone

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Just hoping they don't let IKEA (or M.C. Escher) do their user manual...

[​IMG]

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Oh, those designs just fold down flat when you twist them the right way (the wrong way, if in use at the time) :vbgrin:

Mi An, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I only want one döx.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, Mi An and Hook like this.
  4. Hook

Here is a nice set of notes from the New York event held on 29 Aug. Unfortunately, I couldn't get up there, but a few folks in our community who could attend complied questions and then got answers from Chen and the F(X) team. It's nice these really are hands on events and not all show and sales pitch. They are very open and willing to let the rough edges show. Pretty refreshing. They still are going with mid-September for shipping to start. I suspect we'll get a very polished piece of hardware with software that will need to get tweaks OTA over the next few months. I can't wait.

http://matland.be/fxqa/

raspabalsa, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  5. Hook

Noticed this morning that the US Price has gone up to $736.05 (I have no idea why this price isn't rounded). I don't know if the European price had changed as I can no longer see it, but posts on the Maemo forum makes me think this didn't hit the Europeans or it was a very small change.

I understand, especially with all the trade war nonsense, that this probably had to happen, but I'm worried it will hurt them. The hard core keyboarders may still go for it, but others may decide to go for a One Plus phone instead. I admit I was hesitant at $649 until Mi An gave me a $100 coupon. :vbrolleyes:

Then again, I'm not sure their survival depends on the US market anyway. We shall see.

EDIT: Figured out the not rounding. The price of the phone has gone up to &699, but the buy page calculates in your state tax if you are logged in. If you go to the buy page without an account, it shows $699.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  6. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I kind of remember that the initial price was always supposed to be lower for preorderers, as an incentive, help them gauge demand so they could tool accordingly. Other than the Oneplus, flagship prices are insane. Fxtec can't possibly have the scale to compete on price with anyone who decides to try, or on specs with the others. But I hope they manage.

Keyboards make 1000% more sense now than when they were common. More RAM, more screen, more realistic mobile multitasking splitscreen consume on one side, produce on the other without being blinded by onscreen keyboard. Plus more robust software to produce on in the first place.

7. Hook

I don't know that anyone here would be interested, but just FYI, since the F(x) Tec forum isn't working really well (long story, but they will replace it when they get a chance to catch their breath from getting the phones out), there is an unofficial Discord channel frequented by forum members.

https://discordapp.com/channels/604479731156385792/604479731156385794

Discord is kind of like IRC set up as an IM. I became familiar with it when Dirty Unicorns set it up as their primary means of communication when G+ was going under.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  8. Hook

Today they were at the IFA trade show in Berlin and sent out this in an email newsletter:

So, still officially Mid-September release for pre-orders. That seems believable because this video in German popped up today and it looks like the product is pretty finished.

https://video.golem.de/handy/23425/fx-tec-pro-1-hands-on.html

Also, the new announcement of it going up for orders October 1st implies that the initial batches may actually cover all pre-orders. Just a guess. Will find out.

Good news all around. I'm very excited. :newpalm:

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

What was the original offer price (sans taxes)? I also wonder if currency fluctuations might affect the price.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. Hook

It was originally $649, which was the pre-order price I paid (without factoring in my coupon). Going up to $699 doesn't seem an unreasonable jump.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.