Hook Looks For a Future New Phone

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Showrooming also involves later buying the item online, not clear if you do that or not. But even if so, you shouldn't feel bad at all and don't need a defense. And if you do buy at one of the stores you checked, then what you're doing is just called shopping.

Last I heard, Best Buy now rents floor space directly to brands to feature their gear to showroomers, not unlike the way a grocery store might let a brand come in, set up a booth and hand out samples. The brands get money no matter where you ultimately buy and Best Buy gets paid for the service they provide. Stores should adapt to changing circumstances, and if they can't, they should die.

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Usually I buy in one of the B&M stores I checked, not online. I prefer to walk with my new gadget right away, not wait days for delivery.

Yes, I've seen this at stores in Colombia, especially for big brands like HP, Lenovo, Samsung, etc. They have their own salespeople uniformed in the brand's colors and logos. Still, the level of training leaves much to be desired. And the level of pestering too :D

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I agree. There are other adaptations stores have made and/or could make. For example, providing better/easier returns (some stores will take back items purchased through Amazon) and product support. What's frustrating is when stores (I'm looking at you, Target and Walmart) have cheaper online pricing than in their stores (and refuse to price match). My wife picked out a nice rug at Target a few months ago and called to ask me if she should buy it. I ended up ordering it online for much less than the store price. All she had to do was wait an extra 10 minutes in the parking lot for a clerk to take the same one off the shelf and bring it out to her car.

raspabalsa, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

So here's a first look at my Thinkpad T570. Admittedly, I have just finally gotten it set up, I haven't done any writing on it yet.

First, here is the configuration:
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6300U Processor (2.40GHz, up to 3.0GHz with Turbo Boost, 3MB Cache)
    ● Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
    ● Display Type: 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080)
    ● Memory: 8 GB DDR4 2133MHz
    ● Hard Drive: 256GB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0
    ● Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
    ● AC Adapter: 65W AC Adapter (2pin) - USB Type C
    ● Graphics: Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 520
    ● Battery: 4 cell Li-Ion 32Wh
    ● Camera: 720p HD Camera with microphone
    ● Fingerprint Reader: Fingerprint Reader
    ● Keyboard: Keyboard with Number pad - US English
    ● Wireless: Intel 8260 AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 4.1
    ● Rear Battery: 3 cell Li-Ion 24Wh

Also, I bought a 6cell 72Wh extra battery.

There's not much to describe about the physical computer. It's a Thinkpad, the same black slab you always see, but they have gotten a lot thinner and lighter. Speaking of lighter, love having the SSD drive. I was worried that 256GB might be too little, but I have everything I need installed with Win 10 Pro and I still have 190GB available. I cleaned some bloatware off, all of it from MS. Lenovo puts almost nothing on the computer, a very clean version of Windows Pro. I'm also only installing what I need for a writing computer. If a need arises that I didn't anticipate then I'll install that software then, but there's a whole lot less "well, you never know" software on this computer.

The screen is wonderful and I was right. Full HD makes a real difference for editing or writing while looking at notes or research (yes, writing fiction requires research :vbrolleyes:). And the text is so much clearer and easier on the eyes. (There is a mode with blue light eliminated as well).

The keyboard is just as Thinkpad keyboards have always been, which is surprising with the bodies getting thinner and thinner. They still manage to give the keys just the right amount of travel and feedback.

I still have insufficient data to say anything about battery life but so far "27 hours my aunt fanny." Maybe if I weren't doing anything with it. But there is a mystery around how the batteries function. The battery meter said after 2 hours that I had 81%. That's actually not bad. When I look at the battery utility supplies as part of Lonovo's "Vantage" system program, it shows the internal and replaceable rear batttery, but it seems to say that the internal battery is at 100% and not being used and the rear battery at being at a lower % than is being reported by the battery meter? So what is the basis of the number being reported, an average of the two. And does it draw from the external battery first and then go to the internal batter? I'll let it run in the real world a few days and report back.

The thing is, although I do use Dropbox on this computer, I am now completely cloudless in my writing. I back everything up on an external USB hard drive. This is the only computer I will write on now. I no longer need to keep multiple devices synced up. The only software on it using dropbox is my password safe. I may add a large capacity microSD to it down the road.

It is wonderful. I have dreamed of having a computer like this for writing. Best $700 I ever spent (well more with extra battery, and stuff, but I could have lived with just what I got for $700).

I'll let you know if things stay wonderful. :vbgrin: :newpalm:

5. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

My thinkpad is a Helix 2. The battery setup is slightly different, but probably works the same. Yes, they use the most external battery first, once exhausted then begin to discharge the internal. I love this and wish Lenovorola did the same with their Moto Zs. It means you can swap the external and put less wear on the internal, so there's less need to worry about replacing that internal. The percentage shown, when there is just one, is the total percent of battery left as if they were one battery, You can click the battery icon in the task menu to see both percentages popup

I kind of think it might even stop discharging the external at 5%, rather than fully discharging it, which is supposed to be good battery practice, but I've been using mine on the charger a lot lately so I won't swear to that.

Big fan of full HD + snap to something, hmm well, can't remember the exact name, but the winkey plus left and right arrow to quickly align consumption and production side-by-side. I can still remember the old days of manually shrinking and resizing and aligning windows. Uggh, like walking uphill in the snow both ways.

6. Hook

Thanks for the Win Key plus left and right arrow trick. Didn't know about that. Cool.

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

although I was hesitant to try it on my laptop, running Win7 Home Premium, because "who knows?!", it works there. emboldened by my success I learned that Win + UpArrow maximizes the window with the focus, and Win + DownArrow minimizes it. The down thing goes through a Restore size first, it's not the 'same' as Alt + Spacebar, N. otoh, Alt + Spacebar, N doesn't work at all for the intended use if the program (presumably by design) does funky things with Alt + Spacebar in the first place, like Opera 60.0.3255.170.

scjjtt, Mi An and Hook like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Hey, I showroom too, but I usually give the store an option to match the price give or take.

I wish Apple would make a more mid-range laptop. In order to buy a ~15-inch screened laptop that's not like a MacBook Air, you need to get the Retina screen, which is really expensive, and while nice, is hardly necessary for what I do. I also wish they'd make another 17-inch model that wasn't the price of an entry-level car.

RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  9. Hook

By the way, I want to give a tip-o-the-hat to the Notebook Review forum, our sister site. They were really helpful and one of the reasons I was able to snatch this great deal on a Thinkpad in what may have seemed an impulsive buy (lol, and maybe was) was because they had really helped me think through everything so that I was able to quickly evaluate that that laptop was likely the right choice. And it really was.

I highly recommend popping over there if you are looking for a laptop. :thumbsup: