Hook Looks For a Future New Phone

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Oct 4, 2016.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I assume a 'notch' is that little island at the top of newer phones with the camera lens, microphone, etc.? I didn't think about that with the OnePlus. Does it not have a front camera at all? These days, how do they do that?

scjjtt likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

This, which just came up as an official answer to a question in the forum(emphasis mine), made my pulse quicken happily.

The original question was they same one Mi An got me an answer to last March which was about updates, security patches and support. The full answer today was:

I think we are in pretty good shape. One could probably get some kind of third party accident coverage if that's important. Of course, again, depends on them staying in business, but it's good stuff. But that part about the screwdriver, if true... :thumbsup:

jigwashere, Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  3. Hook

If we are talking about the OnePlus 7 Pro, the camera is in the pop-up bottle opener. :vbwink:

4. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I need that giant zippy for the screwdriver quote. That's awesome! I've watched the procedure for replacing z play battery, mine isn't in trouble yet, but after 3 years, capacity isn't what it used to be. Glass back, glass front, lots of glue between, what could go wrong?! :confused:

5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Hook, I actually saw that video in another thread here AFTER I posted that! If only I'd read them in a different order. That blew my mind by the way.

Hook and Mi An like this.
  6. Hook

Well, it looks like something is beginning to happen. On Facebook, they just posted:

https://www.facebook.com/fxtec

I'm hoping it means the pre-order phase is ending. They said they would ask for payment 2-3 weeks prior to shipping, so maybe that will happen shortly. At this point, the wait is killing me, but I want them to get it right! :newpalm:

scjjtt, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

fingers crossed for you, Hook :newpalm:

scjjtt, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yeah, we'll all keep our fingers crossed. Better if Hook doesn't do it, he'll need his fingers in optimum condition to write the review on the phone's keyboard.

scjjtt, Mi An, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  9. Hook

They have just changed the expected delivery date on the pre-order page for the Pro1 from July 2019 to Summer 2019, as subtle change which allows them to slide out to SEP 20th 2019 and still meet the criteria. :vbwink: It's not clear if that change applies to new pre-orders or all. In other words, if they are planning on producing in batches and making them available to pre-orders roughly in order, it could simply mean pre-orders made going forward will ship in Aug or Sep.

Frankly, though, it wouldn't surprise me if they end up needing some slip on the July target and I wouldn't take it as a bad sign. They are clearly working hard. This is the most unpredictable phase-- working all the software and hardware integration and testing. I would rather them take the time to get it right rather than rushing them out the door and I get the feeling that is their philosophy too.

In the meantime, my Nexus 6p is having more and more problems. I put myself on the class action lawsuit for battery problems, although I didn't have any real documentation, but now I'm getting random spontaneous shutdowns. Not too often, but annoying such as doing it just as I was trying to snap a picture. So I am back to seriously considering the $99 G6 from Google Fi. That or something else low cost from Moto to become a backup phone. I got a nice bonus from work so the cost of the Pro1 is covered. Having a backup phone is not a bad idea.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019 at 11:40 PM
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yeah, a backup phone is always handy, even if it gets to spend most of its time in the bottom of a drawer. Moto G phones are in general very nice and low cost options. Samsung J-series are similarly priced, athough the Gs have better looks IMO.

Hope they deliver the Pro1 soon. The wait is killing me, and I'm not even the one actually waiting to get it!