Hook Looks For a Future New Phone

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Yes, there is that. By reputation, the Nexus 6p is one of the more difficult phones to open up. I wouldn't try it. What worries me is that there might be a lot of options for things to break or get weakened getting that battery out, and it still wouldn't solve the lack of updates. I haven't rejected the idea yet, but since I'm going to probably need a new phone before too long anyway, not sure it is worth the investment.

2. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I don't blame you on that. Z Play probably isn't as hard to replace as 6p, but anytime there's lots of glue I get nervous, and the extra glass on my Z play doesn't help calm me. That's one of the reasons I was willing to sell my Nexus 6 so quickly. It wasn't showing any signs of battery issues, but the ifixit teardown did not look fun and with batteries it's always a matter of time. I told myself when I got this phone that I'd try to flip it for a later z gen relatively quickly too, but the best laid plans...

Have you considered a fresh start, possibly even on the last stock rom for a while with as little software added as you can get by with for a week? Just to make sure the problem is all hardware? There are certain types of software/OS problems that build up over time, a la XP performance, that defy any solution other than a fresh start. Long shot, but could buy you some time if there's any software contribution.

3. Hook

I might try a clean flash of DU. The DU kernel always had good battery optimizations. Maybe a clean flash would buy me something and would be pretty easy to do. Good suggestion.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

If you have to delay your retirement by a couple of weeks to afford the higher end phone, I could live with that. ;)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The F(x) Tec etc. would make a great retirement gift from your co-workers. Maybe you could drop a hint or two in that direction.

RickAgresta, scjjtt, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Don't forget that at least some of us are living vicariously through you. Research and analyze all you want, but in the end, we're counting on an impulse purchase that includes unboxing euphoria followed by a smidge of buyer's remorse. Thank you very much.:)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

... and a review. An extensive, comprehensive, hopefully exhausting review.

8. Hook

Well, so much for the clean flash idea. Actually, ended up going down a rabbit hole because of a problem I had forgotten about where the phone won't let you in and none of the online remedies worked. Got it sorted though and have a clean new install-- and either no difference in or worse battery life. Burned almost half the battery just doing the flash and restoring apps. Back in battery case now and all is well again.

Definitely not making it to 2020. :vbwink: :vbrolleyes:

I know F(x) said they wouldn't spam me when I signed up to their mailing list, but they haven't sent me anything. Dammit, I want an update. :vbgrin:

9. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

jigwashere, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  10. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I know they're different manufacturers (even though they're both Nexus), but if the 6p is anything like the 6 (which I did take apart myself), I wouldn't do it. I only did it myself because the phone was basically dead, so I really didn't have anything to lose. I wasn't able to resurrect it -- not with a new battery, new ribbon cables, etc. One thing I did learn is that the Nexus 6 was probably the least Nexus/Pixel of the whole line. As much as I now like my Moto G5S Plus (I didn't always because of the lacking 3rd-party dev support, but now I do despite that still lacking), in the end the Nexus 6 was just another midrange Motorola phone very similar to my G5S Plus. Thankfully I didn't pay full price for the Nexus 6, as I got on a ridiculous Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale, but I feel sorry for those people who did pay full price and expected it to be a Nexus.

I can tell you, though, that I really like my Moto G5S Plus, surprisingly so since it's now on stock, unrooted Oreo 8.1. I still can't believe I'm using an unrooted Android phone! I did that for all of about two weeks with my first Android phone (HTC EVO 4G) and that's it. My son's Moto G6 is also a rather nice phone, and looking at the G7, I really don't have any worries if my G5S Plus suddenly gives up the ghost. Although I'm kinda recommending the G7 option, I have to warn you that I really wouldn't expect any reliable 3rd-party dev support. Well, unless you're using an Indian rather than a US carrier. But even then, the ROMs are really fly-by-night, unofficial versions that seem to get maybe a couple of months of support on XDA and then they just die. The good news is, though, that Moto phones are very vanilla Android as-is. They have a few Moto enhancements (gestures/features), but nothing even close to resembling an overlay or major alteration to the OS. That's definitely the main reason I'm doing fine on an unrooted stock ROM.