Hook Looks For a Future New Phone

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Oct 4, 2016.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Sprint just negated my main remaining reason for rooting. I don't ROM phones anymore because the dev support for my Moto G5S Plus and my son's Moto G6 just isn't there (at least not for the USA versions of these phones). So, the only reason I rooted my Moto G5S Plus was for unlimited wifi hotspot, and just as I was toying with the idea of rooting my son's Moto G6 (he's the one who mainly uses the hotspot feature on my phone), Sprint sent me an email out of the blue informing me that due to being a long-time Sprint customer, that I could indefinitely upgrade all 5 phones on my account with a free 50GB/month hotspot. Sure enough, when I checked my Sprint account there was the option for 2GB/month hotspot for $20, 6GB/month hotspot for $50, or 50GB/month hotspot for $0.00.

I still have one remaining reason to root my phone, and that's to be able to edit the build.prop to activate the Camera 2 API so that Google Camera (specifically their superior HDR+) will work. The stock Moto Camera 2 app on the Moto phones is notoriously bad due to overprocessing the final image, so I'm currently running the older 32-bit version of the Google Camera that my Nexus 6 (which also had a 32-bit ROM) was also running. But honestly, I could squeak by with using the Moto Camera app if I had to. I discovered that if I always shoot using the "Low Light" feature that it doesn't overprocess the images.

I'm just as disappointed as you with the duration of Android device support these days. Even though my wife and youngest son have switched to Apple, I just can't bring myself to do that quite yet, but I have to admit that Apple's OS support is highly tempting me. The iPhone XR is REALLY tempting me. But I'll probably just stick with the relatively inexpensive Moto phones as long as I can. I really like their feature set, but I do wish they had more 3rd-party dev support, but I think the glory days of ROM flashing are just pretty much gone for just about all Android phones -- even the Pixels. I really enjoyed it while it lasted and will definitely miss it. :(

2. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I think project treble was supposed to address some of the update woes in much the way hook described, might have even worked. As I recall, treble didn't go into phones that got updated to oreo, only those that launched with it. That makes it particularly hard to hear about reports about it. By the time we know it's impact, google might have moved onto fuschia or whatever.

3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

If I was going new on a phone and not a refurbished older flagship, I'd get a mid tier Moto phone or pay twice as much and get a OnePlus phone.

My friends are really enjoying the two Moto X4's that I recommended to them. Moto has been running sales on them at $165. At those type of prices - I can't ever see myself putting out $1,000 or more for a phone.

https://www.techradar.com/news/moto-g6-vs-moto-x4

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

You could get the 32GB Moto X4 from Google Fi for $149 right now. It would include a $50 Fi Service credit, too.

To get the discount, you have to activate the device w/in 30 days. The service credit works for full service (not data-only) and must remain active for 30 consecutive days, after which the credit will be applied (https://fi.google.com/about/device-promo-terms/).

I'm tempted, since it's available to existing customers. The new phone cost would effectively be $100 on my current plan. I could pass it off to my son or daughter as an upgrade.

Mi An, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Just noting, as I said in the post that renewed this thread, I'm not even thinking of a new phone until 2020, or at least not until Xmas, which will be just before I retire. But I will review all suggestions when I get there. :vbsmile:

Mi An, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

So it's going to be an impulse purchase, then? Sounds good! ;)

internetpilot, Mi An, scjjtt and 4 others like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

So, my Nexus 6p battery is heading south very rapidly. My last out-of-battery-case test revealed it was losing 10% and hour with the screen off and just sitting on a table. It now sucks the battery case dry by the second day, sometimes sooner. It used to last 3 days and the phone would still be full. No bulges yet, but it's days are numbered.

Right now I have 3 candidates in mind for replacement.

1.The OnePlus 6T (my high end choice) $579 base price in my config, The 7 may be out in May and if it doesn't jack the price a lot, I'd consider that.

2. The F(x) Tec Pro Qwerty Slider. The phone I really want. But pricey (even if deservedly so) $650 before tax and shipping. More of a leap too, but I don't mind that. I really want it.

3. The Motorola G7. A very sensible phone for $299 that probably does everything I need a phone to do. With a midrange phone I don't have to get as bent out of shape when I can't get updates in 2-3 years. :vbrolleyes: It's actually a pretty amazing phone for the price and I care nothing about cameras.

Still researching... but I don't think I make it to 2020 without deciding to get a new phone.

If the alleged mid-range Pixel ever shows up, I'll at least look at it.

8. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I can definitely vouch for the X4; I think my issues only arise because I'm using it with a nonstandard carrier.

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Hook, is replacing the battery a viable option? For however long it takes, do you have a backup to use? IIRC, don't you have a local shop that you trust for repairs?

Mi An, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Don't over-think it, Hook. You know you want it. Go the Nike way. Then write a comprehensive, 10-page review (written exclusively on the phone's keyboard) to let us know how good a phone and keyboard it is, so we can all follow your lead. :newpalm:

Mi An, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 2 others like this.