Hook Looks For a Future New Phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Hook, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I think the Android feature is crude compared to the fine tuning you do-- it's a dimming of the screen and an translucent orange wash over everything. I don't know if a screenshot will capture it properly, but I'll try getting one tonight and post it if I think it does the effect justice.

The other feature I like about Android 7 is that you can play with screen density from settings without needing root or messing with a system config file. It also previews the effect before the reboot.

One interesting thing that DU has decided to do is not supply root with their ROM. If you want root it is easy to flash SuperSU or one of the versions of Superuser or whatever you want. However, they have taken all their mods and coded them so that they work without root. Substratum is also apparently coming out with a version that will skin without root. If TB ever finds a way to make a version that is just as useful without root, I might never need to root again (The running theory is the the DU devs wanted to form a Pokemon Go team :vbwink:).

2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

That's a good approach I think. I'd love to have titanium and kcal without root. My understanding is that the dominant superuser access control app is no longer open source, I've been uncomfortable with that for some time. It's not as if I ever knew what was happening under the hood, but I felt better knowing lots of independent devs did.

Hook, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

That should give you time to save up to purchase the $1000+ iPhone 10. ;)
    --A $1,000 iPhone 8 would be Apple’s most courageous move yet

Hook and Mi An like this.
  4. Hook

I believe phh's Superuser is open source. SuperSU is not. Chainfire sold it to a Chinese company, but he still works on it and still stands by it and a year later, no one has come up with any credible evidence of tampering (though there are wild rumors) and I'm sticking with Chainfire. More here (from the DU perspective):

http://dirtyunicorns.com/2017/01/20/options_are_good/

jigwashere, raspabalsa and Mi An like this.
  5. Hook

Hookette took a plunge to a hardwood floor... :vbeek:

Relax, The RhinoShield bumper did it's job. :thumbsup:

Not only did it perfectly shield the phone but, as I watched in horror as the phone fell and time seemed to slow down :vbwink:, it seemed that the bumper weighted the balance of the phone so that it was more likely to land on one of the reinforced corners. I'm not going to test to see if I'm right. :vbrolleyes:

However, I love this bumper. Most of the time, I forget it's there, it feels so natural. My fingers have completely adjusted to the pressure needed for the buttons and , again, I forget that I'm not pressing the built in buttons (which are actually too easy to press without the case. The RhinoShield corrects everything about cases that made me always hate them.

Thanks, Mi An, for making me aware of it! :newpalm:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    lelisa13p, scjjtt, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I have my phone set up so it always falls buttered side down. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JRakes, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Wow, I've been off BH for more than a week and even this pretty active thread is slow! I barely missed anything!

Loved the Buttered Cat video.

9. Hook

Not a lot more to write here, I'm happy to say. I'm very pleased with my phone. Best I've ever owned. :newpalm: The Dirty Unicorns crew do a great job.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  10. Hook

An odd turn of events. Something happened to the Nexus 6p's USB port. Never seen anything like it. All of a sudden, nothing was charging the phone, nor when it was plugged into the computer would the OS be aware it was plugged into a computer so the little menu where you could switch from charging to file transfer never came up. I tried cleaning the port out knowing how pocket lint can get in there, but there didn't seem to be much. After wiggling things around, I can get it to charge when connected to a computer (still doesn't know it's connected) and a third party charger works, but the Huawei charger (and I have 2, one from the first Nexus 6p) works. However they will turbo charge my wife's Moto Z.

Luckily, I got NewEgg's warranty plan, which covers accidents and such, so it doesn't matter if they think I did it (which I didn't). And I don't think it was Helga this time. :vbrolleyes:

Newegg's contractor has sent me a box, but allegedly won't be here until Tuesday (vis FedEx). I guess Hookette may change her outfit, but she can't give up her roadtrips. :vbgrin:

scjjtt, jigwashere and Mi An like this.