Hook Looks For a Future New Phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Hook, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Aaaaand, she's all set up now. Unlocked, rooted and flashed with the latest weekly of Dirty Unicorns' version of Nougat. All the Google bloatware is gone. I decided to set her up from scratch-- forgot how long that takes--- but was fun as it got me considering new ways to set up things rather than restoring what I've been doing for 3 years on the Nexus 5.

I had really forgotten what an exquisite phone this is. It is fast, the screen is stunning and the battery life is amazing, although after the state of my Nexus 5 battery which was too small when it was new, anything would probably seem wonderful. I love the big screen and having all that memory.

Hook is no longer looking for a future phone. Feel free to (further) drag this off topic, ;-)

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

so, then, it *is* safe to conclude that, yes, we are there yet!

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Mi An, Hook, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  4. Hook

I thought I'd bring this discussion over here. Have been playing around with this. Both the screen and the front facing speakers are superb. In fact, the speaker sound is better on the 6p than on the TAB S, maybe because they are front facing. I'm also starting to notice how awkward it is to balance a 10.5" Tablet with keyboard on my lap on a crowded train compared to my phone. So I *am* seriously thinking of moving my DroidTV account to my phone and using the tablet as my writing laptop. Doing so would also make it easier to have something to watch in unexpected situations since I always have my phone with me and not always my tablet. Finally, it would make it easier if Mrs. Hook calls while I'm watching a movie on the train. :vbwink:

5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I have never understood why tablet speakers aren't universally front facing. They sell the entire category as media consumption devices and then muffle the sound on 99% of them. It's absurd.

The mono speaker on my mid range phone shouldn't have better sound than the 4 speakers on my high end convertible 2-in-1. But it does.

6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I agree Mi An and I'd say that goes for most larger phones as well. No reason not to incorporate them into the front. I had a laptop once where the speakers faced down and it was awful for media.

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Mi An, I read your post about your Nexus 6, great elegy. I would even be interested in buying it if it had a card slot. 32 or 64GB is kind of limiting.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I hear ya. I am very pleased to have a card slot now with the Z Play. I imagine someday I might pop 128 or 256 in there even though for now I'll probably just put in a 32gb card I already have. It's nice to have options.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. Hook

I (and Hookette) are now quite settled into this new phone and I am very happy. I've probably already properly detailed the praises throughout this thread at various points, so I won't reiterate unnecessarily. It has become my new favorite handheld --love the size, feel, quality and the RhinoShield Bumper-- and it has started becoming my one device, more than any device ever has.

What I mean by that, is I am finding it is just large enough that I can do almost anything I need with it instead of using other devices. I've moved my DroidTV account over and no longer need to carry my tablet if I want to watch video. The screen is as good as the tablet and the speakers are great, though I mostly use ear buds. I now read using the Amazon app on my phone rather than carrying my Paperwhite. This is made easier by a fantastic feature of Android 7-- you can turn on "night mode" under display settings, which gives you dim orange wash over the foreground and darkens the background, meant to reduce blue light, but it makes reading very soothing any time. I can even productively use the phone in landscape,paired with my Lenovo near-full-size BT keyboard and Textmaker HD to do writing (although I confess I still prefer the tablet for this). Internet browsing is a pleasure on this phone and overall it has become my go everywhere computer in my pocket I've always hoped for. With Dirty Unicorns support which should officially extend through Android 8, I'm quite happy and set for a while.

By the time 2020 rolls around, the mobile world will likely be very different and I'll figure out what I'm doing then. I think this will keep me going for a very long time.

10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I read they got rid of night mode in some version of 7.1, but there are apps to replace it. I'm using twilight (which shades red), but there's also f.lux and others I'm sure. Reading was my primary use case for kcal color control, which allowed very precise gradation and didn't tint over black pixels (haven't gotten to use Android's mode yet, so not sure whether it leaves black pixels alone) so I had any range of color I wanted no matter what reading app I used.