Hook Looks For a Future New Phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Hook, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Edit: I realized I had inadvertently run off with the "Looking for deals on a Nexus 6p" thread, so Lauren was kind enough to split this out for me. :newpalm:

Well that was quick-- all Nexus models are just gone from the Google Store.

So, having seen the Pixel XL (not considering Pixel), it is currently disqualified for price tag alone (about $1K for what I want). The thing is, the feature I care least about in a Smart phone is the camera. I know, I'm weird. I basically still use Smartphones as PDAs, so why would I pay outrageous prices for stuff I don't care about.

I'm in no hurry, but I will want to replace my Nexus 5, entering its 4th year, at some point in the next few months..

First, my no-kidding requirements:
    I don't want to spend more than $400
    I must have a bigger screen.
    I will *not* have less than 64GB internal memory.

Second my important but still only nice-to-haves. Not necessarily deal breakers, but will be given weight.
    DU support
    Root/TWRP and ROM support available
    I'd like a phone I can also keep going with for 3 years like my Nexus 5.
    I'd like the possibility of a couple of OS upgrades, even if I have to rely on devs on XDA.
    SD card support.

Right now the heavy contenders are:

A Nexus 6p (64GB or 128GB) with the right markdown.
    The OnePlus 3 ($399) (supported by Dirty Unicorns-- big plus)
    ZTE Axon 7 ($399)
    Motonovo G4 Plus (64GB/4GB RAM) ($299)

The Motonovo depends on my convincing myself that after using an 800 series snapdragon, I won't notice going to a 600 series. The 3 year thing makes this a less attractive choice.

All suggestions are welcome. I will add any others that occur to me. If there are any gotchas about the ones I've listed, please point them out.

I won't 100% reject Samsung, but I don't like Samsung because I really really hate Touchwiz and usually depend on installing a CyanogenMod based Rom to be able to tolerate Samsung devices.

I wish Google had kept the Nexus as a developer phone and just added the premium Pixel line.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

In re: Z Play, I feel like I'd be okay stepping down to snapdragon 6xx, but I do wonder about losing 100ppi on pentile. I wish we could hear how Motonovo really hit that battery life. There are other mid and lower resolution snapdragon 6xxs out there pulling half as much battery life as Z Play, so while that's part of it, but there's got to be more. I read a review the other day about a blogger (usually heavy users) getting to the end of the day with nearly 80% battery left and he said he was using 75% brightness. Come again? But I'm not really advocating, I'm pretty sure battery management annoys me more than other people.

The Pixels do feel like a different era more than just an arbitrary name change, and even though the N6 and N6P were both pretty pricey at launch, they also both saw big markdowns even long before a firesale. I feel like they might not do that with Pixels. Like they're going to prioritize margin in order to craft a high end image and eventually stake out space near Apple and Samsung. That's fine, but it's not my vibe. I've only owned one non-nexus droid, and that only ran android thanks to an xda hack. It is a little sad to imagine the end of the line.

I don't know much about oneplus except I get the feeling their scene is a pretty good cultural matchup for nexus users. Actually, I kinda got the impression they were more nexus than nexus, but you'd probably know better than I. I'm kinda rooting for you to snag a 128GB 6P for an insane value, but mostly because I love deals as much as I love tech. If that doesn't work out, an OP3 seems like it would be a good fit and looks like a really good everyday value. The only minor warning is you're losing a little display sharpness. Larger screen with same resolution, and that resolution is in a pentile AMOLED with fewer subpixels, but sharpness isn't the only factor to judge a display by and you should see a substantial improvement in battery life vs a nexus 5 in part because they didn't boost the resolution.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    raspabalsa, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  3. Hook

I've been looking at the ZTE Axon 7 and will at least consider it, but I would probably go for the Oneplus 3, especially with DU support. However, I'm mentioning it here because it is $399, nearly the same specs as the Oneplus 3, good support on XDA, available through Best Buy and adds an SD card slot to the otherwise Oneplus 3 specs, for those who would reject the OnePlus 3 on those grounds. Just something to consider.

By the way, I went looking around for the LG V10 to consider, but I can only find the international version unlocked and it isn't much cheaper than the Oneplus 3 and in many cases more expensive. Again, life when buying without a contract. :vbrolleyes: :vbwink:

4. Hook

After being a little dismissive initially, I am beginning to seriously consider the ZTE Axon 7 over the Oneplus 3. This appears to be a great phone and in many of the slight differences, I'm finding I favor the differences on the Axon 7 over the Oneplus 3. It also comes with a great warranty (no extra charge) and ZTE's after sales customer service reputation seems to be better than Oneplus. Plus, let's not forget it takes SD cards. :vbwink:

The only cons to the ZTE compared to the Oneplus 3 is 1) on the ZTE, Android is slightly skinned. Doesn't seem to be too bad. and 2) No Dirty Unicorns.

Here's a pretty good comparison article, but I've found the same points elsewhere:
    http://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-7-vs-oneplus-3-707949/

For some reason, Amazon is currently selling the Axon 7 above $399, but Newegg and Best Buy have it at the correct price, or you can order directly from ZTE-US.

5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

That looks pretty swank. Don't forget to add it to the list in the OP.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. Hook

I did, and added some elaboration as well. :thumbsup:

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  7. Hook

Oh dear-- I think I'm going to go over budget... :vbeek:

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  8. Hook

I dood it. I had really thought I was going to go with the OnePlus 3, but suddenly the 64GB Nexus 6p showed up for $499 (the same price Google was last selling the 32GB model). I was really surprised how much that galvanized me. I guess it is really worth some money to me to be able to stay with Nexus a few more years. And no doubt, if I had been patient, lower prices are to come. However, my Nexus 5 has been acting up, so the pump was primed by an earlier decision that I wouldn't wait much longer to order the OnePlus 3. I need a new phone. As I said, I don't think I realized how important having a Nexus is to me.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    guywolffe, jigwashere, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  9. Hook

Oh, joy... I can still use Nexus Root Toolkit! :newpalm:

10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Congrats! You're going down with the ship. Who says there's no honor among pirates?

I had always hoped they'd do Nexus 6Q next and then you could get a Nexus 6arrrrghhh! after that. But I guess that's not gonna happen anymore.

jigwashere, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.