Hook becomes a (self) published author.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Just thought I'd share that the book now has a couple of very nice 5-star user reviews. Don't get too impressed, they are both people who know me on a writers forum and, yes, we do encourage each other. On the other hand, I have no reason to believe the reviews aren't sincere, if biased, and they were unsolicited, so I'll feel good about them anyway. :p ;)

Obviously, what would be nice is a 5-star review from a total stranger who just happened to stumble on the book. Of course, there will also be the 1 star review from the person who failed to read the description and says "hey, I thought this was a detective novel!?" :eek: :rolleyes:

2. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

I thought is was a review of PDA cases.:p

3. Hook

A little late, but I thought I'd mention that my Kindle Novel is free until 11:59 PST tonight. If anyone wants it, go for it.

I'm mentioning this more as a curious phenomenon than anything else-- it's like the Android giveaways. For some reason, I wasn't expecting what happened.

Amazon has given me 5 days I can give my book away for free. Had no idea what this would do, so, with no publicity, I scheduled yesterday and today as a "Christmas in Hell" sale. I'm not even sure how anyone knew the book was free-- Amazon didn't announce it.

Suddenly, since the "sale" started, 2600 copies have been downloaded in the US, 60 in the UK and 6 in Germany (really. Germany). :cool: Now, I'm sure 95% are just people who forage daily for free books and may never look at it again, but a few of these people may actually read the book. Which is all I have ever wanted. I don't have time to be in this for the money (although any agents out there are welcome to convince me otherwise. ;) ).

If you miss it, I have 3 more days to use up. Valentines Day in Hell? :eek: :p

At least no one can hit me with "You couldn't *give* that trash away!" :newpalm:

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

You were nice enough to give me a copy for my Palm; and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't read it yet; but this will give me impetus to do so. I just got so backed up this year with a huge list of books that I didn't get to. It's the first year that I barely read any books; largely because I've been spending way too much time on the 'net.

5. Hook

Please don't worry. Read it when you feel like it and want to, not when you feel obligated. :)

Nothing to be embarrassed about.

6. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Sounds like a sweet opportunity. Potential for some more reviews that might sway future readers and word of mouth too.

Good luck!

7. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

It certainly sounds good for exposure of your work, Hook. Besides the fact that now we can claim we have an International Author in our ranks! :cool:

Congrats, and continued good luck with it! :)

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Can I get a digitally signed copy? ;)

9. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Amazon really should implement tech towards that option. Some authors have pulled of DIY online signings with something like smashwords as the source, where no DRM is required. Now that even eink readers increasingly have touchscreens, in addition to virtual signings, you ought to be able to take your device to a B&M signing and get it signed, though some tired author would probably accidentally write on one with a sharpie one day. :eek: :(

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Next time I'm in the D.C area, I'll bring a Sharpie and see if Hook will sign my Nook. :D