Hook becomes a (self) published author.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Great to hear. Forget the "weak" nonsense... writing is like a muscle. Gets stronger the more you keep doing it. I think it's fantastic you are doing this. :thumbsup:

EdmundDantes, Mi An, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Raspy, I'm trying something autobiographical. A lot of fiction writers' first work tends to be in that direction. Sort of riffing off an experience. In my case, I'm trying to write something based on the time I spent living abroad. Often, with debut novels, writers will build a string of short stories with a common narrator, common theme, or common place into a novel.

Edit: One thing that inspired me was I mentioned a while back in the 'What are you reading' thread that I was reading 'Last Enchantments,' which is about a writer's time spent as a student abroad.

I'd love to try a spy thriller or something like that since I love them, but I don't really think I know enough about it to try one yet.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    scjjtt, RickAgresta and raspabalsa like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Sounds interesting, Edmund. I don't think I could expose myself with an autobiography (assuming that I had literary talent to risk the endeavor in the first place).

As a teenager I tried writing some space opera tales, then I discovered techno-thrillers and that became my favorite genre. I tried writing a couple of tales too. None have survived, but I do remember that my space opera tales had a lot of alien words. Funny thing is, now the more alien words I see in a novel the less serioulsy I'll take it. :D

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. Hook

You can be autobiographical without writing autobiography. In Hard Case, my first novel, I had the protagonist starting out living in the apartment I had lived in in the 80s in New York City and based several characters on people I knew. You always find ways to draw from what's familiar to you as a way of grounding whatever you're doing. You can use research to then go into unfamiliar territory, but that initial connection o your own experience helps.

EdmundDantes, scjjtt, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  5. raspabalsa

I must admit I didn't know that "autobiographical" could be applied in that context. I didn't quite get what Edmund said above, but with your explanation I do now. Start with what one knows first hand before expanding into unknown territory. Thanks, Hook.

6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Hook is right. You try and project from situations and facts that you might be familiar with and then 'what if...' from there. Characters can have attributes of yourself or people you know or have observed. Authors like John Le Carre borrow character attributes and personal experience even when they write thrillers or something else.

7. Hook

I thought I'd show off a little. I just added all new covers to my books. They were done by Josh Thornbrugh, who is also a writer, but happens to be graphic artist as well and enjoys doing book covers as a hobby. He is a fan of my work and just decided on his own to do these covers. He sent them to me and asked me if I wanted to use them. Of course I did, they are stunning. Take a look:

https://www.amazon.com/John-Hook/e/B0055Q0FWM?ref=dbs_p_ebk_r00_abau_000000

:newpalm:

I'll also give Josh the writer a free plug. The review by "John" is me. :vbsmile:

https://www.amazon.com/Sixth-Seal-Protectors-Book-ebook/dp/B00M6DY8SY

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Those covers are great. It is also cool to put a face to the one I have known as Hook for 11 years!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

9. raspabalsa

Hook, are the new covers only available for new purchases? I bought the Quentin Case series some time ago, and I still see the old covers. I synced Kindle several times, deleted and downloaded the titles again, looked under "Book Updates"... no go :(

10. Hook

Let me look into it later. I suspect it might involve going to manage content, deleting and then re-downloading. I'll try that experiment to make sure it works or see if I can find another way. I know there is a way to do this.