Hook becomes a (self) published author.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Jun 6, 2011.

1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Ain't it the truth! I have several books on my Kindle that I've started and stopped on so many times that I think I'll just have to start them all over.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Same here. I've started several and stopped. The nice thing is the bits just sit there taking up a measly 200 meg on my 32 gig devices and that's for dozens of books, most of which weigh in at under 2 meg but some of which come with video "special features" that burn up storage. Even so I'm under no pressure to delete titles to make room for others. The biggest tradeoff I face is time. I finally finished my fireplace project, and by finished I mean all the tools are back in the basement and there is no wet mortar, paint or caulk and no sharp pieces of stone in the carpet waiting for bare feet to pass by so I should be able to start catching up on my reading this coming week.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  3. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

Congrats, Hook!

4. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I didn't particularly want to discuss the contents of your poem when first you posted this because as I mentioned at the time, poetry often feels a bit beyond me. I imagined saying what I thought and conjured up in parallel a scene of me at an art museum speaking frankly about the paintings and sculptures I observed and the entire scene transforming into a zoo where I was the 'exhibit' for the all the cultured people to stare at in wonderment. Extraordinary! I've read stories of such simple specimens, but I've never seen one in person. (all persons in said imaginings spoke with an upper class British accent, and many wore monocles)

Still, my first impression has, from time to time since then, come back to me, as it did today. And I figured if I wrote something that tickled someone's neurons even months after they read it, that'd be an encouraging thing to hear about, so I've returned. When I first read The Dance, well before I'd finished it, I imagined you were writing about writing and I couldn't shake the notion. That's just how I feel when I really connect with a story, either in the midst of it when I can't pull myself away, or when it all comes together in a manner that pleases me and I remember writing it. I've written plenty of drivel that I disposed of quickly, mercifully not exposing another person to it. I often compose posts here entirely of drivel, just to get it out of my system (thanks guys! ;)). But when I really love it, it feels like a dance, something I didn't entirely realize before reading The Dance even though the feeling itself hasn't changed, I perceive it a little differently. And I don't know if the strong physicality of the poem was more descriptive and less the metaphor that I latched on to or was very much a different metaphor closer to the stated topic, or even if it matters. In my own head, I like to think that the difference between art and craft is that craft is something about which people can easily agree on the function and/or meaning, while art is something that can tell an observer more about themselves than about the artist. Your imagery added texture to what I already feel and made a lasting impression. It told me a little something about myself. It's uncommon for me to take to a passage like that.

I'm not sure if you can take much comfort from the equivalent of a raving loon slurring I dun know nuthin' 'bout 'nuthin, but you dun real gud!, but for what it's worth, I heard you talking to yourself and so I talked it over with myself, and I agreed with me that you two were making a certain kind of sense.

5. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

The lovely thing about writing and readers is that writers don't get to explain what they were writing about-- they wrote what the reader read. Don't know if that makes sense, but for me it is what makes writing a living thing. :)

Thanks for letting me inside for a bit. :newpalm:

RickAgresta, r0k, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

What I hear you saying is that when I read your stuff, I write my own story. Where are my royalties? ;)

lelisa13p likes this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Patiently, rick takes jig over to the door of the thread (complete with labels & title), and points out the words
    "(self) published", then says 'Hook is waiting for his, too'

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  8. Hook

No, I'm still the writer. ;) Then again, you are free to hear what you want to hear. :D

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  9. Hook

I actually do get royalties-- what's left over after Amazon skims off their fee. I just don't sell enough to significantly increase my IRS liability. ;) Of course, then every so often I make them free. I know, not much of a plan. :rolleyes:

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

To paraphrase Izzy, "what, that's something new?"

lelisa13p likes this.