Hook becomes a (self) published author.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Don't get too excited-- Amazon will let anyone upload just about anything. :rolleyes:

However, for better or for worse, I have self-published my first novel as a Kindle ebook (no DRM) called Hard Case.

You can find it here (US store):
    Amazon.com: Hard Case eBook: John Hook: Kindle Store

or here (UK store):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0054DW2ZO

The description is on that page. This is not literature, it is pulp fiction, of a fairly old fashioned kind: high adventure blending elements of SF and fantasy. While not relentlessly so, it has violence and occasional bad language, so might not be considered "family friendly." I think it is a fun and entertaining thriller.

Oh, and if you don't or can't do Kindle, PM me, I have other formats, all without DRM.

Now, before I have to report myself for spamming, my main point is not trying to sell the book here (there are no handhelds in the book):eek: . It is to share this accomplishment with friends. For me, it is an accomplishment, regardless of the esteem which self-publishing does or doesn't earn. It was great fun doing it and a lot of work. Curiously, because of the setting (see description) I spent 6 months resisting writing it because I couldn't believe *that* was what my first novel was going to be about. :p However, it took hold of me, as did the characters.

I have written documents most of my professional career and was even a full time freelance writer in the 70s, but I am not a professional novelist. I don't attend workshops or engage in other professional development opportunities for novelists. I don't have time, just as I don't have time to find an agent and publisher, or even find out if there is an agent who would have me. I have a long day job and this is what I do because I want to, when I have time.

For me, the single tool that, more than anything, made this possible was my Alphasmart Neo 2. As far as I'm concerned, no greater drafting tool exists.

I'm already at work on a second novel, having nothing to do with the first.

Cheers! And thanks for indulging me. :)

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Congrats, Hook! I wish you success!

3. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Hook, congratulations. I would like to say though that I would be VERY interested in your experience with Amazon and Kindle publishing. Difficulty level, sales numbers, anything you care to share. I've considered this route myself, trying to earn a little cash, and I know others who are as well.

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

[​IMG] YAY,HOOK! [​IMG]

Off to investigate this. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  5. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Major Congrats, Pirate-Dude!
    Very cool, indeed! :cool:

An accomplishment such as this, particularly when done purely for the enjoyment of doing it, is cause for much celebration :newpalm:

Ummm... Do I have to buy a Kindle now? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  6. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

It is actually pretty easy and a lot fewer hoops to jump through than Smashwords (which I might get a round to doing later). They have a few pretty straightforward guidelines for preparing your manuscript in word, save as html and then feed it to the old MobiPocket creator. So, you end up feeding them a Mobipocket prc file which converts to Kindle format.

The one gotcha to watch out for is paragraph formatting. Word is inconsistent on how it codes paragraph indents and it can sometimes result in double indents when it is converted to Kindle. I never quite figured out the cure for preventing this from happening though I found a web page about it after the fact, but I was able to identify the culprits by turning on paragraph codes and I just manually removed them.

Takes about 48 hours from upload to going live.

Sales numbers and royaltes stuff, I'll have to get back to you on, but they have very good reporting mechanisms. You do have to give them your banking info as they direct deposit royalties, not sure how often yet, obviously.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the process. Of course, any book is as good as the manuscript delivered. I had the help of a proofreader and that was invaluable-- you really can not proofread your own material. Next time I'm saving up for a fully professional proofreading job.

Ultimately, I'll be surprised if I make much unless some folks stumble on it and start a word of mouth thing. A skillful use of social networking can help, but I probably won't even go there for this. However, if you can find ways to do marketing, you might be able to do something.

Hope that helps. If you have more questions ask, or PM me.

7. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

And let me add my congratulations also!

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Hearty congratulations from me, too, Hook! a grand accomplishment, hope to read it soon :newpalm:

9. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Congrats! :D I have folders full of unfinished novel concepts, and one I've been toiling at for some time with a long way yet to go. To me, finishing a novel sounds like an enormous accomplishment. Knock 'em dead. :newpalm:

I think I'll go sample me some intrigue and astonishment.

He finds love, but never gets to hold hands? :( That is hell. ;)

10. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Congratulations Hook.

Are there pirates included?