Honor Flight

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Oct 7, 2011.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

[​IMG]

I fly out of Minneapolis for Washington, D.C. before dawn tomorrow, accompanying 100 WWII veterans. I am going as one of many Guardians, or support volunteers, to help these great men and women see the memorials built in their honor. I am primarily responsible for 2 veterans, one being my 92 year old father-in-law. The youngest WWII veteran is 83.

We return late tomorrow night (around 11 PM).

For more information, start here. You might also be interested in some of the YouTube videos or articles on PBS.

RickAgresta likes this.
  2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Good job, Jig. We have a guy in my office who has gone on an honor flight. I believe it was with his father. It's a long day for them, especially at their advanced age but it's worth it.

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Very laudable, Jig, I hope you have a good time with all those fine men. And BTW, I do know you don't do it for the merit, but it really speaks high of you that you can spare time to be with them :)

Years ago I was invited to a celebration that has not gone national, a day to remember the Mexican veterans of WWII, specifically aviators. There is a memorial in Chapultepec Park honoring them, and another monument in the Roma district, both in central Mexico City. I was invited to a ceremony at the second monument, and several members of the Squadron 201 bomber group were there. They saw combat in Phillipines. A modern fighter squadron now bears their colors and they homaged the veterans with a ceremonious flyby. A very NetBrakr-esque day, if you ask me (no mini-NetB's or random plinking on the people though) :D

Just as r0k points out, that Honor Flight is intended to be a ceremony and perhaps something of a party, but their advanced age may play rough in the meanwhile. Yes it's gotta be worth it. These people are dying by the handfuls. You gotta honor them while you still got the chance to do it in person.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My alarm just went off. Time to get dressed and head to the airport! :)

Thanks for the nice words, r0k and hal. By the way, there are are women veterans of WWII on this flight, too. :newpalm:

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Safe travels, jig. And totally agree on the excellence of what you're doing.

6. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

God bless you, Jig, on the honor you do to our great vets. Thank your FIL for me.

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

You honor your FnL service greatly by spending this time with him and another comrade.

Your wife should be proud.

You now should be wheels up and preparing for an emotional day.

A flight from my town made the trip this week, and the local paper provided insight of the prep work and trip.

Thank your FnL for his service.:cool:

RickAgresta likes this.
  8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

In Memory of my two dearly departed & greatly missed WWII veterans, my son's Granddads, I thank you with a grateful heart. My love & respect to them all.

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Ditto the thanks for what you and others are doing for these great men & women. Safe travels and a great time to all of you! :cool:

10. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I think Brian Williams often mentions 1200 or 1600 die each day. Sad.