Home-Based Hotspot Device

Discussion in 'Other Platforms' started by NetBrakr, Mar 5, 2017.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Looks like my family is planning to get At&t Wireless Home Phone & Internet. If we do get it, we will cut our monthly home phone bill in half. I already got the device.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Good luck with it. Having a mobile network solution would be nice. But I can't do it, because even here in suburban Houston, the cell signal isn't strong enough, and our phones cut out now and then. AT&T's signal isn't reliable enough for that use here.

scjjtt likes this.
  3. r0k

r0k Dazed

The only caution I would mention with At&t land based internet is that they often use copper. They have fiber cabinets less than 1/4 mile from most people and then they use copper for the last 1/4 mile. They used to call this service "Uverse" but it got such a bad rap they now simply call it "internet" and they sell DirectTV instead of bandwidth-stealing Uverse TV. Depending on how far you are from the fiber cabinet, they might have to use 2 copper pairs to offer their higher advertised speeds.

My experience with At&t's copper has been very poor. For many years, the phone lines in our sub were buried and water was constantly getting in and causing problems. Now the wires are overhead as At&t finally decided to abandon the leaky underground wiring they had in place for 5 decades in our area. I get offers in the mail from time to time to switch to At&t for internet. One day I saw one of their techs on my street working on a neighbor's house. I asked him about the reliability of their internet and he was honest that it was spotty at that time, about 2 years ago.

I wish somebody would put in fiber to the premises and do away with that last 1/4 mile of copper but that's not likely to happen around here any time soon. Comcast has proven reliable for me in recent years. I use Comcast medium speed (75-ish MBps) internet for about $79 a month including all taxes and fees and I use Ooma for my home phone (about $4 a month plus $9.99 a month for voicemail to be forwarded to me as mp3 files by email).

As for At&t cell based home phone and internet, what is the data cap they are offering? With Comcast cable modem, they say mine is 1024 GB a month.

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  4. NetBrakr

rOk, it depends. Since my family already have the Unlimited Choice, it wont have any data cap. Of course it MAY slow down (depends on tower congesstion) after 22gb.

Correction on the price, it wont be 1/2 of the saving, it will be 75% saving of our landline and DSL...thats a huge saving. And I got prove. So if Att give me a different price, i will be ready. There will be no arugments!

r0k likes this.
  5. NetBrakr

As of now, i really hate At&t...they make me so mad. If i could, i will switch my family to tmobile.

r0k, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. NetBrakr

I am determine to get rid At&t. I spent hours researching. Few minutes ago, I ordered NetGear 4G LTE modem (not hotspot). It is expensive, about 5-6x of the price for my latest TP-LInk DSL modem. Money is no object when you are determine. It will be here tomorrow. On Tuesday, I should have T-Mobile service operational.

r0k and Hook like this.
  7. r0k

r0k Dazed

I'm glad to hear you found a way to get rid of At&t. I'm very sick of Comcast but at least it does work. I wish there was competition around here but sadly it's a choice between Comcast and... Comcast. Of if I like I can get At&t DSL or At&t internet, both of which are relatively unreliable because they rely on copper from my house to the neighborhood fiber cabinet. Within half a mile of here, there are people who can choose between 2 cable carriers. I think the next time I buy a house, internet infrastructure (fiber/cable/dsl) and power reliability (outages per year lasting 4 hours or more) will be on my list of items to inspect before I make an offer. When we bought this house, people were still using... dialup. :eek: :eek:

8. NetBrakr

I just ordered NetGear Nighthawk AC1750; it had $20 coupon. :)

It will be arriving today, gotta love Amazon. :p

Oh btw please go here. :) (I am torturing you guys)

Hook likes this.
  9. NetBrakr

Ok, nvm that NetGear router. When I tested, its performance was WAY too slow, example, it took about 3 minutes just to boot up. REALLY?!?! I am going to return it tomorrow.

I ordered the TP-Link AC1200, its coming tomorrow. Hopefully this router is MUCH better.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. NetBrakr

The NetGear 4G modem is working well. :)

Here are the pics. (I cannot upload pics anymore)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

scjjtt likes this.