Home-Based Hotspot Device

Discussion in 'Other Platforms' started by NetBrakr, Mar 5, 2017.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hi guys,

So yesterday, my family has upgraded our wireless plan to At&t's new "UNLIMITED CHOICE" plan. We now finally have unlimited data.

I know there is a hotspot option for $20/m. And I am dying to get rid this crappy At&t DSL, which cost $30+/m. So you get the idea.

But I don't want a hotspot device that uses only battery. Is there any hotspot device that can plug-in to a regular power socket?

Another thing is stopping me to do this is my mom's email, once cancel the DSL service, what will happen to her email address. Of course, that's another matter to discuss with At&t later.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

NetB, doesn't the portable hotspot act like a phone, meaning, I can leave my phone on the charger all the time and still use it?

scjjtt, NetBrakr and Hook like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Depends on who the email is with. Is the DSL AT&T or a third party. If the email is something they provide from their server, then you could lose it, but most DSL services use someone else's web based email, in which case she'll be fine to keep using it.

About the hotspot thing, what Rick said. It's not like you don't have enough phones lying around. :vbtongue: :vbwink:

scjjtt, lelisa13p, NetBrakr and 2 others like this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I've had residential internet service with AT&T in one form or another since 1995. Mine started out as Bellsouth.net but somewhere along the line Bellsouth was rolled into AT&T. We at Bellsouth were allowed to keep our Bellsouth.net email addresses because AT&T figured out a way. About 10 years ago, a few years after the AT&T absorption, the decision was made by AT&T to no longer maintain a separate email system for customers and all of our email was dumped onto the Yahoo Mail service (sucketty, suck, suck, suck. :vbmad: ) This was a PITA for me because I already had a stupid Yahoo email account from 1995 which was associated with a dozen or so registrations for various sites/services during early internet days. I now had two separate email accounts sitting on crappy Yahoo servers, which the whole world knows have been hacked several times in the past few years. :vbmad: Service usage falls short on occasion, too.

Long story short, your Mom can still use her web-based email service via AT&T. Can't do anything about the miserable Yahoo-hosted service, however. :vbmad:

scjjtt, r0k, Mi An and 1 other person like this.
  5. NetBrakr

Thanks guys.

RA: While I think it can do that, I am not sure it will take the power from the battery first (most likely) or from the wall charger first.

On the Unlimited Choice plan, it doesn't include "Mobile Tethering", but it does have the option for only Hotspot device. What the hell is the difference between tethering and hotspot anyway....is it suppose to be the same thing?

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/att-unlimited-data-plans.jpg

Hook: It was provided by SBCGLOBAL.NET, (SBC Yahoo). First it was dial up (ah good ol days, ew), than DSL.

How can they detect if you are using a phone vs a hotspot device? It doesnt make sense to me.

PL: Yeah, I understand your pain. Thankfully, my mom's email was in Yahoo server when she got it. Did you keep the email address? myemailaddress@bellsouth.com (something like that)

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Once upon a time, one connected a cable from phone to PC -- that was tethering.

As to how "they" can tell how you're using your data, I have read (again, once upon a time) that accessing a website via a phone leaves subtle, different electronic tracks, than accessing the same site via a PC does.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  7. r0k

r0k Dazed

My cousin had Att DSL and they stuck her with a yahoo account which of course got hacked. I set her up with a gmail account she has been using ever since. My rule is to never ever use an infrastructure or hardware provider's "free" email, whether it's Microsoft, Apple, At&t, Comcast, you get the idea. In fact, I go a step further and own my own domain so I can switch the email back end to whoever is treating me right this month. This month it's still google but if that changes, I'm all set. No change of email address required. I do (did?) have a yahoo account which I had do use to keep flickr working and I got so sick of dealing with yahoo that I stopped using flickr and let my photos sit out there and wither for several years now. The thing that finally drove me away was when they were still charging for the "pro" version of flickr, they kept screwing up billing and they would shut down my account access even though I had tried to pay them. At one point, there was a pending paypal (I think) charge that sat for 45 days holding money I could have used for something else before the idiots finally released the money. I have not. looked. back.

@NB:
    As for using a phone as a hotspot, I have a friend who did that for years. Well sort of. She used a Verizon iPad as a hotspot for her house and while she had smart TVs and so forth, they would never work right because she didn't want to leave the hotspot running 24x7 even though she could easily leave it plugged in. This meant basically the only time she had internet was when she walked over to her iPad, turned it on and started the hotspot. This might sound like a good way to save money. I disagree. Smart thermostats and other internet of things devices rely on "always on" wifi and they don't usually tolerate the network only being up a few hours a day.

Cellular data is almost never as fast as land based infrastructure data. Even the crappiest always on DSL is more reliable than the fastest hotspot if you have to be there to switch the thing on when you need it. Do you really want your only internet to go down every time the phone or whatever device you are using gets an OS update pushed by the carrier or manufacturer? Do you really want wifi that only works with xxx feet of your device? Do you really want internet that doesn't offer ethernet for older devices such as network printers, NAS storage, or smart TVs without wifi? Most internet of things devices offer a way to set them up by joining their hotspot temporarily then you teach them how to log in to your wifi and you can see them that way from now on. Some older ones are easier to set up using an ethernet cable.

Hope this helps...

8. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I've been using my phone as a hotspot on ATT for years, but admittedly not full-time for multiple devices. But I agree with r0k, you don't want to use a cellular hotspot fulltime for the family. The ATT cell data may be unlimited, but as soon as you use up your 10GB, you're throttled to 2G speeds. I had that happen last month, when a two-year-old grandson figured out how to watch Elmo videos on his mother's phone, and did that for hours at a time. 2G is very slow. DSL may be slow, but it's faster than 3G, nevermind 2G. As for whether the hotspot device would draw from the AC or battery first, it will use the battery, but the AC will keep it charged as it's used. Why would that matter?

9. NetBrakr

Just fyi, my DSL is only 500kbps.

10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'd push on the deal some. My sister's family switched recently and got all kinds of new phones, hotspots, etc. thrown in. I'm never that lucky in getting stuff, but maybe you'll have better luck.