Holy Convertibles! Internetpilot goes Win8.1 with an Asus T100!

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Mar 25, 2015.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

From what I've read, they claim to be getting out the PC business altogether and focusing on cloud systems and 5G. I just don't see that making more money for them than the PC industry. All I see happening is AMD being happy to take over the PC industry while Intel just arrogantly tries to become something they're not.

We bought my youngest son a Dell laptop with an AMD processor in it (~$500), and the wife just recently took it over when we bought him an Asus ROG gaming laptop. That AMD based laptop rocks, and the the graphics chip in it is vastly superior to the usual Intel graphics. My son was playing Minecraft on it at highest quality just fine.

It'll suck to see the Atom go, but I'm sure AMD will gladly fill the void with something even more powerful for the same price/formfactor.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

AMD provides a lot value for the dollar, it's what I've used in desktop builds for more than a decade and their APUs make great budget gaming laptops as well. Radeon beats IRIS, but not everyone cares as much about gaming on tablets/convertibles as they do other things, including battery life and form factor. AMD has fallen far, far behind Intel in heat and power usage, which is why Intel has only had to share the light and fanless space with ARM.

Intel is still very much in the PC business with Pentium, Celeron, Core m and Core i. They just shaved off the least profitable category, and not one AMD is currently well positioned to replace. Neither is ARM for that matter, if you account that people buying these wanted to run applications and not 'apps'. AMD claims to have closed the technology gap with their upcoming Zen, and I hope that's true, but even if it can gear all the way down to Atom territory, AMD isn't really flush with resources right now. They may not have the ability to step into that particular gap for years, if ever, and that's assuming Zen is everything they claim it is.

internetpilot and scjjtt like this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - jump on the 64GB - there is 1 left & it is $25 less than the 32GB.

[​IMG]

P.S. If you don't - I might!

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Edit - now the link says there are 3 left - we're both safe!

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. internetpilot

Careful...the 64gb model is not the same. It has a ~O.5" smaller display and a lesser featured keyboard dock. The 64gb with 4gb of RAM is also different with a 64-bit processor in it, hence the substantial increase in price.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  5. scjjtt

jigwashere and Hook like this.
  6. internetpilot

Just updating this thread with the latest.

For my older son's Feb birthday, I bought him an ASUS Transformer Book T100HA-C4-GR. It's the "new" version of my mini Asus Windows tablet, and I really like their improvements. Gone is the clunky snap in keyboard dock -- it's now magnetic and the connection is a lot more reliable. The finish on the tablet casing is textured now, so also gone is the fingerprint magnet finish of my tablet. They've also moved on from the Atom processor and are now using the Cherry Trail Quad-Core Z8500 Processor. I haven't really noticed any speed/performance improvements during my limited use of it (basically setting it up for him), but the good news is that I haven't noticed it being any slower or less responsive either. The battery app claims it has like a 3-4 hour longer battery life. The new model is also much thinner and lighter. It also comes with Windows 10 pre-installed.

This is actually why I ended up purchasing this particular model for him, because I was just going to get my same tablet model (which is even cheaper now), but my old model tablet only comes with Windows 8.1 and now there's no free upgrade option. Unfortunately, this new model did NOT come with Office like mine did, but my son doesn't really need it. His school is a 100% Google school, so they just use Google Docs, Gmail, etc., which is what he's now accustomed to using.

It was a similar price/purchase situation as my first one. I bought it "Used - Like New" from Amazon Warehouse deals for around $235, and it arrived in the original box/packaging with all the usual labels on the screen, the charger sealed in a bag, and I had to setup the tablet from scratch just as if it was new. In addition to the 64GB of internal storage, I put a Samsung 128GB microSD card in it for only $42 (for some reason that identical card is now $185???), so now he's set and I'm a wee bit jealous.

He already has an Asus ROG G751JT gaming laptop that he uses most of the time, as well as a school mandated laptop, but his gaming laptop is an oversized "19 inches" (the ROGs are beastly), so it's not very convenient for using while traveling in the car, on a plane, etc. So this will be a nice more mobile option for him, and he's starting to do just like I did after getting a Windows tablet -- completely moving away from his Android (and iPad) tablet.

Here's the link on Amazon for anyone interested:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014854RGK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wozofoz, scjjtt, Mi An and 1 other person like this.
  7. scjjtt

IP - that sound GREAT! Since my son got his Toshiba Chromebook 2, 13.3", Intel Celeron 3215U, 4GB RAM, 16GB SSD (Certified Refurbished) that has the back lit keyboard - he's been using it exclusively while at college. He got his fiancee the same Toshiba Chromebook for Christmas morning & the ring that afternoon.

We are visiting our other daughter in LA & Mrs scjjjt left her school laptop home & brought her Asus T-100. I had synced her Google Drive to an external memory card. We did have a bit of a problem using Google Docs & Sheets while offline. I got it fixed when realized she was logged in Chrome browser as me. We also had to set up the sync files while offline in settings while logged in.

The Asus T-100 is a great little laptop. Our son & the Mrs both have one & it will definitely be one I'll consider when my Toshiba Laptop running Vista dies. I glad to hear about their improvements!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

8. internetpilot

My son never really used his ASUS Transformer Book T100HA-C4-GR since I bought it for him quite a while ago, as he really likes his Asus ROG gaming laptop, so I swiped it since I liked it better than the older style T100 that I had.

It took the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update fine, and most of my settings/configuration sync'd over from my desktop and laptop PCs, so it was easy to setup for me. The magnetic docking hinge is soooooooo much better than the snap-in style that's on my old T100. It really makes it a vastly superior device. Although the Amazon reviews have it at 3 stars with a lot of problems with hinge, charging port, power button, etc., I'm not encountering any of those issues...at least not yet.

I do some minor gaming on this, and although I didn't really expect it to operate any different from the Atom processor in my old T100, I haven't noticed any performance differences, either positive or negative.

I'll have to keep in mind that this model has both a back and front camera. I'm not used to it having a back camera.

I still love these little notebooks/tablets. With the resurgence of Chromebooks, I've been eyeing those as well (especially since some of them can run Android apps now), but I'm just not seeing enough benefit of Chromebooks over these wee Windows 10 convertibles. The battery life seems similar, and although you can get a bigger screen on some Chromebooks, as the screen size goes up there much fewer models available, and they're really getting up into true notebook computer price points.

9. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

15th December 2017 my Asus Transformer Book T100TA is 4 years old :hi:
    Never had a problem with the build, everything works as it should, if I was being picky then sometimes adjusting the screen/tablet angle messes up the touchpad but I just need to remove then insert again and it's all ok :vbsmile:
    The battery wear level is only 20% which translates to between 7 and 8 hours per charge which is fantastic considering the T100 is my only computer and so is used a lot every day and I always have it at 75% brightness :thumbsup:
    I am very impressed with the T100 with Windows 10, I definitely bought a mango not a lemon :newpalm:

I have no time for Android, never use it on anything bigger than a phone is my moto.
    I have an Asus 7 inch Android tablet that I bought thinking it might replace my Palm TX but I have disliked it from day one, now I only use it for games and when it breaks I won't replace it. I also have an Android phone which has a good shopping app and flashlight and that is all the praise I can give it :vbfrown:

All the best, woz of oz

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017