Holy Convertibles! Internetpilot goes Win8.1 with an Asus T100!

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Mar 25, 2015.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I know this is far from the latest toy, but a series of events happened where I ended up just recently buying one of these. It started when I saw refurbished ones on closeout special via Woot email advertisement (Amazon's closeout shop), then I saw they weren't that much more to just get new at Amazon.com, and then I found a really great deal on an open box one (which turned sour on arrival when it didn't include a charger, was clearly used, and the battery wouldn't charge with any other micro USB charger I have for whatever reason. Then, just as I was thinking that this wasn't meant to be, I found a new, factory sealed, very slightly damaged point-of-sale box (one frayed corner) for only $245 with free Amazon Prime shipping.

It's the Asus Transformer T100TA-C1-GR with 64gb SSD storage, 2GB RAM, Intel Atom z3775 @ 1.46 GHz, keyboard/touchpad dock, Windows 8.1, Office 2013, etc. I'm very impressed with the build quality, but blown away by the speed and capabilities of this device, especially that it's running a full version of Windows 8.1. And my frickin' phone cost more than $245! That's just crazy cheap -- just the way I like it!

For the first time ever, I'm actually getting a little worried for my poor Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition tablet. I don't see it getting used much if the T100 continues to perform so well for me.

2. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hey IP, I will take your Samsung GTab 2014 off your hands if you don't want it. :D

3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

4. internetpilot

You'd have to fight my 12-year-old son, who's getting a little tired of how poorly the YouTube app performs on his iPad2.

I'm REALLY liking this device. I'm putting it through the paces, testing the heck out of it while I still have a return window through Amazon. I've encountered a couple of problems so far, but all of them were easily researched and remedied. My opinion on Windows 8.1 is still bleah. Haha. I think it's actually getting worse the more I work with it, because as I figure out its weirdness, I'm constantly asking, "Why the heck would they do it that way?" I just don't see a lot of purpose in the UI changes.

At least so far I don't seem to be having the problems that the majority are reporting -- battery drain, power button quirkiness, etc. When I encountered a problem with WiFi dropping and not allowing me to reconnect when using my phone's hotspot feature, I realized that most of the drivers on this thing are provided by Microsoft rather than Asus. A quick trip to the Asus website provided me with newer OEM Asus drivers for just about everything, which I immediately replaced the Microsoft drivers with those. I suspect that has a lot to do with why I don't seem to be encountering "the usual" issues with this device that so many are reporting on the Transformer Forums. For some reason, a lot of the threads on there seem to recommend NOT using the Asus provided drivers, which from my career as network engineer is just a big no-no. You should always use the manufacturers drivers rather than the generic and usually outdated Microsoft ones.

Hook and jigwashere like this.
  5. scjjtt

IP, yesterday after your post and after I sent my response, my son-in-law sent me a Woot link that had the ASUS Transformer T100TAF-B11 for $180. I shared that with my wife - her laptop is getting a little slow and she doesn't want to do anything personal on her brand new school laptop. But the unit on Woot only had a 32g drive & 1g of RAM. It also has a one year free subscription to Microsoft Office online and then you have to pay. That really knocked this unit out of the running for us.

Today, he sent me another Woot that had yours on it, the ASUS Transformer T100TA-C1-GR. It was $229, but when I went to check out there was $18 extra in tax and shipping. So, I thought about what you did, looking at Amazon, and they had these, though refurbished, for $229 with no tax and shipping (we have Amazon Prime).

My son really likes his T100 and these T100A-C1-GR look to have even a better processor in them than his. With her using Google Drive, which is backed up on her school laptop and our home desktop, she really can get by with the 64g SSD and access everything through the cloud. She also has a Seagate 1T portable that she stopped using this year, going to Google Drive. I'll set that portable to hold her Google Drive files, which she can connect and get updated and use whenever we take a trip to San Diego to see our daughter's family or when we go to Simi Valley, CA to see our other daughter and her family who will be moving there from WA (yeah - only a 6 hour drive now to both families - we won't have to buy plane tickets anymore to see them).

I'm looking forward to Mrs. scjjtt not complaining anymore with a slower computer. I will use her old one to connect to the 42'' older flat screen (Gateway) that our son-in-law in San Diego gave us. It doesn't have HDMI but a VGA connection. I'll connect her old laptop to the Gateway to access the TV shows that are on our network that have been converted to MP4 files.

Sent from my HP TouchPad with CM9 using Tapatalk.

jigwashere, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  6. internetpilot

Sounds like a plan, scjjtt!

I totally bought this on a whim -- like I said, saw it in a Woot ad, and after noting the specs and seeing the formfactor in person (by way of the first botched item), I was impressed. I'm still impressed and still loving it. I honestly haven't touched my Note 10.1 2014 since. My youngest son dropped his iPad the other day and shattered the screen (yep..."Gorilla Glass"? What's that?), so while that was in getting repaired at a 3rd party local shop (I didn't feel like messing with it myself), he's been using my Note tablet. He wanted to borrow the new T100...haha...foolish lad!

I have noticed that the Windows app store is severely lacking when compared to the Android/Apple counterparts. Even the few apps they do have all seem to be rated really low -- like 2-3 stars at best. I've yet to see a 5-star rated app, which is pretty sad. I was so impressed with the T100, and my Note 2 phone is getting a little long in the tooth, I was contemplating going full-on Windows everything, but I don't think I'd be happy with a Windows phone, at least not at this point. I think I'd be extremely app frustrated.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The Windows Phone app store, while behind Android and iOS, is a LOT better than the Windows PC app store, which is nothing short of a farce. Even after two years.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. internetpilot

Thank you for pointing out to me that there's actually a difference between the two stores -- I'll have to check out the Windows Phone App Store to see if it's actually possible to transition to a Windows phone. It's highly tempting when the Spring Lumia 635 is $0 with a 2 year contract. Any other phone I would consider is $200-300 also with a 2 year contract.

Honestly, though, my phone just isn't as important to me as it used to be. I mostly use it for SMS, a very rare phone call, and maybe a little Facebooking on the go, but that's really it. I also use it for wifi tethering, but I understand that the two Windows phones that are available through Sprint allow for internet connection sharing (aka, tethering) so even that would be covered.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. internetpilot

Okay, I picked up a 128gb micro SD card for a pretty decent price (about $0.50 per GB). I haven't really kept up on SD card standards and formats over the years. Which would be better format for this Windows tablet -- ExFat or NTFS? This card will basically be left in the T100 at all times and pretty much used as a second data drive.

10. scjjtt

IP - as I mentioned above I had to format Mrs scjjtt to NTFS in order to use it as a Google Drive. My IT friend I believed said that NTFS formats, besides transfering larger files, can also have more incription than FAT 32 formatting (at least that's what I thought he said).

I don't encript files so...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.