Help me with an iPhone (and accessories)!

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by jigwashere, Jul 16, 2019.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Actually, help me help my mother-in-law, please. :)

My mother-in-law, at 89, would like to get a smartphone. Why? I think it's mostly because she feels a bit left out when people around her have smartphones and can send/receive text messages, FaceTime and take decent photos without always carrying a camera.

My MIL is very smart and extremely active. She's difficult to track down most days, leaving the house early to walk a few miles, then off to yoga or weightlifting, driving friends around town to their various appointments, then volunteering at church or doing something at Orchestra Hall or some school, then out to dinner with friends. Her husband, who died a few years ago, maintained his sense of humor even though he had Alzheimer's. Whenever we'd ask where she was, he'd tell us to check with her secretary and chuckle (he's the guy I took to D.C. on the Honor Flight).

I'm not excited about her having a smartphone. She's struggled in the past to use touchscreen devices, and while she's pretty adept at various tasks on her laptop, I've had to come to her rescue a fair number of times. Her carrier is Consumer Cellular and she currently uses the DORO PhoneEasy 626 flip phone.

She deserves a decent phone, and she should be able to afford it along with accessories and a monthly phone/data plan. I think we'll stick with Consumer Cellular, and I plan to set her up with a 2GB monthly data plan. 1 line w/250 talk minutes is $15/month plus tax. She sometimes gets bumped up to the unlimited talk for $20/month. 2GB data would at $10 (includes unlimited texts). We (my son and I) think the iPhone Xr is right for her and would cost $750. More expensive iPhones would be overkill and less expensive are getting a bit long in the tooth. I want to take her to Best Buy or other local store where she can hold the Xr and even play with it a bit.

So, my first question: This is crazy, right?
    Next question: Consumer Cellular + iPhone Xr seems reasonable?
    3. What accessories should we get right off the bat? Can you recommend a particular case, car charger, maybe a stand (charging stand?), screen protector?
    4. Recommendations for configuring the phone and iCloud account for automatic backups (especially photos), safety and ease-of-use? After cataract surgery, her eyesight seems quite good, but I want to eliminate clutter so she can more easily navigate the home screen.
    5. Tips and tricks?
    6. App suggestions?
    7. This is crazy, right?

lelisa13p, Mi An, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.
  2. jigwashere

I just ordered the Consumer Cellular SIM card so we'll be ready when we get the iPhone. I'll take my MIL to Apple today or tomorrow so she can hold one in her hand. Who knows? Maybe even buy it on the spot. :)

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

#7. Absolutely crazy!

I've got nothing to suggest, as my wife's was bought and paid for by work, including accessories. She is fairly self sufficient with that device (I'm thankful for that, I don't have much hair left to pull out) so I don't interface with it enough to offer up anything worthwhile.

Sounds like a wild ride you're about to embark on. Wishing you all the best! :D

lelisa13p, scjjtt, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I think it's very kind of you, jig. I don't know about the iPhone XR or any other phone model. But I guess you're also going to help your MIL set up a PC or laptop, or is she going to use the iPhone as a stand-alone device?

The icloud account for my iPad is just 5GB, which is barely enough for 1 backup set and a few pictures. I don't know what cloud size is included with other iOS devices, but be sure to check this. Maybe you'll have to consider a larger plan if your MIL will save all her pics to the cloud. If not, then the PC or laptop will have to be set as backup for her pics.

5. jigwashere

I should be able to simply connect her iPhone to my PC to backup the photos. It's a simple process -- much like connecting a thumb drive to the PC. As I recall, you can only backup photos this way. It's been a while since I've backed up photos for my wife. She pays for extra iCloud storage and I think still backs things up to her laptop every 7 years or so. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    lelisa13p, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  6. jigwashere

My MIL bought the iPhone Xs today, along with an Otterbox case. My son is helping her set it up. :)