help! eReader asks for unlock codes for books not purchased on eReader or Fictionwise

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by annashoop11, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annashoop11

annashoop11 Mobile Enthusiast

I've been using eReader on my BB Bold bold and so far it's been pretty great...until I uploaded some books in .pdb format (not purchased from eReader or Fictionwise) and tried to read those as well. These books open just fine on my laptop, and they appear in my bookshelf on my BB, but when I try to open them in eReader on my BB, it keeps asking me for the unlock info!

How can I bypass this?

2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Hmm, that's odd. Here's a random idea: try going into books you have purchased from ereader and see what happens. Specifically books you purchased through ereader. Try unlocking one of those and see if it unlocks the other books too.

Otherwise, I am stumped.

3. annashoop11

all of the books that i purchased from eReader open with no problems. my other books are free ebooks that i downloaded from other sites. they are in .pdb format and open in eReader on my laptop with no trouble.

4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

annashoop11, welcome to Brighthand!

The solution is around questionfear's suggestion. Without a very precise distinction, eReader books purchased at Fictionwise sport a locking feature. In order to get an ebook from Fictionwise, you need to register some plastic money, be it credit, debit, savings, etc.; just anything having a recent (& international) card number will work. This is due even in the case you just wanna download a free ebook. OK, in those ebooks that demand an unlock code onboard your BB, try keying the credit card (or whatever) number you entered at Fictionwise to have a Bookshelf. I bet my teeth it'll unlock. The reason is simple: even free ebooks you get there are a purchase transaction (with cost $0.00 on your side), and the Fictionwise guys kinda chose something not easy to know except by the original Bookshelf owner (your credit card no.) as means of a password. Where the thing gets blurry is that not just every ebook you can get there demands said "unlock code". I believe it's a thing that comes and goes according to the season. Or, several contents have been locked likewise and others haven't. For most of the case, Fictionwise contents don't have DRM, so I think the guys there haven't established a common criteria regarding anti-piracy policies.

5. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

The Blackberry software is still very new. If it behaves differently on your BB than it does on your PC, assuming you've already entered your ereader/fictionwise unlock code on both, it could be a glitch. Do what the guys above suggest, but in the end, you might also need to file a bug report.

6. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

.pdb is the file extension for PalmOS database.

Your Blackberry probably uses a different file type.

7. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

No, ereader's extension is consistent across platforms, even though it did start that way in the palmdigitalmedia days to be compatible with palm. You'll also note that OP doesn't have problems opening .pdb books purchased from ereader, just the free ones.

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

I have downloaded prc files for mobipocket on my Blackberry. It seems the legacy of Palm (where prc and pdb were the only possible file extensions) lives on.

I try to stick with manybooks.net for my free ebooks. I never get free ebooks from one of the drm-laden sites because I don't want to run into this kind of issue. Perhaps I should get ereader for BB so I can read some of the titles I haven't seen since I got my BB. I'm sure the titles from manybooks.net will still work but the few that I purchased may require some troubleshooting.

9. annashoop11

Well I deleted the books from my BB and laptop, re-downloaded them to my laptop and then uploaded them again the the handheld. Once again, the files (which are eReader .pdb's downloaded from manybooks.net) open on the laptop....but now on the device there is an error message that reads "An error occurred while paginating the book".

Is there anyone out there that has successfully managed to read free ebooks with eReader on a Blackberry?

10. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

It may be that there are simply some glitches in Manybooks conversion relative to the BB version of eReader.

It is clear from the eReader for BB FAQ that there are still some rough edges on this beta. I would let them know, as they ask, and alert Manybooks as well.

I assume you made sure these are eReader pdbs, not Palm Doc format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.