Help! Combine or Replace after Activesync Restore?

Discussion in 'iPAQ h1900 series' started by pcguys, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcguys

pcguys Mobile Enthusiast

I had to do a hard reset and restore using activesync restore from a week ago.

After doing the soft reset and connecting to the sync cable, it is asking me if I want to "combine" or replace pc -> pda.

FYI: I have 400 contacts and activesync reports about 800 contacts not sync'd.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    -Mike
  2. mjaffe

mjaffe Fine Art Photographer

combine
    m
  3. pcguys

pcguys Mobile Enthusiast

No big deal, because this is a really great learning opportunity, but:

the combine resulted in "30 duplicates" out of the 1800 items to sync. This didn't sound so bad, but when I looked at my tasks on my pc, I saw many tasks which were deleted during the week.

Since I have some time, I did another hard reset, a fresh restore, and when it's done, I'll try "pc replaces pda". (yes, I did make a backup of my outlook.pst before I began the operation).

I didn't say this in my message, but in case it matters, I sync between my work pc & home pc each day, so this pc's outlook is up-to-date as of last night.

Question:
    If I pick "pc replaces pda", will it completely erase my pocket pc's outlook database, and make my my pda contain what is in my pc's outlook (what I want)?

Thanks,
    -Mike
  4. mjaffe

Howdy...You only mentioned Contacts in your 1st post...dupes are better then deletes...That was my reason for the response...Replace has not worked for me in the past. I sync between a pc with active sync and a mac with Pocket mac...always better to have dupes then wipe out the database..I found out the hard way..I also had a backup.

good luck.
    m
  5. pcguys

pcguys Mobile Enthusiast

no harm done, and it was good practice with restores.

having pc replace device worked well.

I presume this means erase the pda, then copy pc to pda.

It didn't appear to keep the pda, and then copy pc to pda, otherwise I would have seen stuff from last week, which I didn't.

(being a former palm-head, it has taken me a bit to get used to the activesync thing)

anyway, I do appreciate your input on this.

Regards,
    -Mike
  6. Digitaldoc

Digitaldoc Digitaldoc

I go through this at least once a year.......every time I buy a new PDA (or form a new partnership). I sync at work and home as well. I always combine rather than risk a delete even though I have backup .pst files. When you get the duplicates, you can run a free program at www.teamscope.com to quickly remove your duplicate contacts on your desktop which will then sync to your PPC.
  7. pcguys

pcguys Mobile Enthusiast

If your outlook file at home and work are within one day of being in sync with each other, why not just sync from work to new pda (pc overwrites device) assuming the work one has the latest info ???

Then, when you sync from home, all but changes made in the last day would already be on the device.

I'm sure there's a reason, it's a just past my bedtime,

-Mike
  8. pcguys

pcguys Mobile Enthusiast

just for closure, I wanted to say when I went to work to sync after this whole thing, I picked "combine", it did find 30 dups or so, but everything looks ok.

--mike
  9. mjaffe

all's well that ends well.....
    m