Headline News Posts - Suggestion

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by headcronie, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Now that we have to go to the front page of Brighthand.com to read the headline news articles, I thought it would be a nice touch to actually have a new window / tab open when you click the link to the pertinent article, rather than leave the forum, and go to the article.

Even though they are the same domain, the forums are actually a separate site within the domain. This would allow users to keep their feet in the forum, while reading the news at the same time.

Thanks for your consideration.

2. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

New window... bleh. I vote down for that. Leave the opening of a new window to the user (right click the link and choose to open in new window or tab) instead of forcing that UX on them.

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I'm with HC. It's a pain otherwise, especially since the forums can be picky about letting you pick up where you left off.

4. headcronie

Exactly my thoughts QF.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I like opening a new window too; but isn't most of this solved since so many of the Headline articles are 'linked' with companion posts in the forum that contain a link to the actual headline?

6. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

I just ctrl + click or shift + click. Just about everyone who'd want to frequent the forums would probably know something like this (because your average n00b doesn't tend to stick around after their problems are fixed, and most of those who do are probably savvy enough to know how to open stuff in a new tab).

7. headcronie

Depends on how you approach the site. I enter through the forums, and go to brighthand.com via the news. If you enter via brighthand.com, and then end up in the forum, it doesn't matter.

Quite the contrary. The regulars know that. There are countless people that don't post, that just found this site, every day, that are looking for news, reviews and the like. The lowest common denominator would say that they don't know what tabs are, they don't know how to ctrl + click.

8. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I tend to agree with AW. User choice is better.

9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I agree with HC and QF, but why not just simply use the mechanism that is already in place for links in the forum. That is, why are these links different?

The default behavior of any forum post link is to open a new window. In my Firefox, they open new tabs as I have the options set that way. Basically, just have the headline news links act like any other Forum link by default.

I vote consistency. :)

10. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Ditto that - At least make them all behave the same way. :newpalm: