Having issues with Lumia 520 camera

Discussion in 'Nokia' started by Auld Reekie, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Auld Reekie

Auld Reekie Newbie

I recently just got a Nokia Lumia 520 and it's been working great (even though I haven't put a SIM card yet). But all of a sudden, the camera keeps turning on every hour or so and taking pictures. It's making it impossible for me to get anything done because the websites I'm on have to reload after every picture. And yes, I'm not touching the camera button. Is there any way I can keep the camera off?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

welcome to Brighthand

I am not familiar with this phone, but many of the troubleshooting questions from PalmOS™ apply:

did you install a new app recently, before the issue came up? if yes, try uninstalling and see if that fixes things;
    have you done at least a power cycle -- turn off, then turn on? better would be a battery pull if possible *or* soft reset;
    are there any settings that may have been changed?
    is it possible there's malware/virus on the 520?
    last, after as full a backup as possible, would be a factory reset, followed by restoring apps, one-by-one, to isolate the problem.

good luck!

scjjtt likes this.
  3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

It's unlikely to be a virus, but it sounds like one of two issues. Either there's a software issue, in which case do a hard reset and then take it to Microsoft or Nokia if that fails, OR you have a hardware issue with your camera button. Is there gunk stuck in the button, or do you have a case on the phone putting pressure on the camera button? Again, if all else fails i would just exchange the phone.

Windows phone is pretty sandboxed, so it's unlikely rogue software. The only exception would be if you installed any third party camera apps, but even then I am more inclined to think it's a stuck camera button (hardware issue) because even on my Lumia 928 the camera button is very sensitive-if I press the phone against the button side it launches the camera on a hair trigger.

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  4. Auld Reekie

Auld Reekie Newbie

Thanks for the responses guys! Questionfear, I put a case on my phone when I got it. It hasn't been as bad over the past few days but it's still happening periodically. In your opinion, do you think I should just take it back?

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I would, if it's not much of a hassle for you. It should be covered by the warranty and depending on where you got it they may just swap it out for you.

RickAgresta likes this.