Hard to get deal alert: Sprint Pixel 3a XL $24 no activation req'd, lots of hassle, low stock

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mi An, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

https://slickdeals.net/f/14748470-google-pixel-3a-xl-sprint-smartphone-ymmv-24

Didn't see the old deals subforum, so hopefully this is the right place to put this. It's a tough deal to get, but many have. If you try, use the link in the wiki and explain to the store associate that you want a device only purchase (unless you want a new sprint line, which is fine) through the warp system which will only require your zip code, print out that then scan it at a regular checkout register. Whether they actually will or not is uncertain. But some will.

Unlocking to use on non-sprint carrier (has to be reapplied after Android updates): https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/google-pixel-3a-xl-4-xl-verizon-sim-unlock.4081869/ Apparently there are unlocking services that apply permanently, but I imagine you probably have to give them you imei which seems dangerous to me.

But it's the deal of the century IMO, even for a mid range 2019 phone. It's high midrange. AMOLED, great camera, 10nm sd670. So I wanted to post it on the off chance someone here might get lucky. Let me know if you snag one!

There was talk by some in that thread that a whole series of sprint samsung devices, incl some high end ones are also on sale for $24, but I never saw any links nor found any reference to them at brickseek or walmart.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm guessing it's in-store only (not going to do that during the pandemic) and that the particular store has them on clearance.

3. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

It is in store only, and very few locations still have any, but it was for a lot of locations around the country with stock. They seem to be clearing out all the old sprint gear as sprint ceases to exist. Brickseek link will show locations and you can confirm a location with walmart app.

But I very much understand keeping safe, and I hope everyone does.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Brickseek says two stores near me have limited stock. I've gone on these wild goose chases before and failed, but that doesn't mean I learn from my mistakes. :rolleyes: However, I'm not allowed out of the house. :(

headcronie, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Sorry Jig, I'm not allowed out of the house either. *reaches for keys with left hand* *right hand slaps left hand* See what I mean?

lelisa13p, jigwashere, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I snagged one of these for $24 just before posting this thread. Couldn't believe it, figured it would be a wild goose chase, so even though it was a crazy long shot I wanted to post it in case anyone else might get lucky too. The timing of this deal was very fortuitous for me and shocking too. I can't think of anything I've ever seen quite like this. I remember when the nexus 4 got slashed from $400 to $200 I was joking about how insane that was, and all phone prices were a lot lower back then. The Nexus 6 black friday sale was crazy good, and that was a legit flagship, but this... even for an older model midrange, unbelievable.

I left it sealed until my case and screen protector arrived, as is my highly cautious inclination, then slowly went through sim unlock steps (which appear to persist despite the xda warning that the process would need to be repeated with each update), updates, and finally, today, got data for my mvno working. It's supposed to set itself up and it claims to do so, but I have the same problem every time I upgrade or change sims, gotta do it manually, can't even get decent support docs, have to find the right settings in 3rd party forums and blogs. But it's done now.

I haven't rooted, plan to try without that for a while, but that also means no titanium backup/restore which means relying on google backup which appears to have restored data to like 3 apps. Thanks, google. Seriously. But the frustrations of upgrading and getting back up to full speed are largely subsumed by the joy of having a fully functioning and fresh phone that I suspect and hope has a much longer ongoing functional life than my now 4.5 year old Z Play. It was a champ that I'll always remember fondly, but I'm relieved to upgrade.

I might review the 3a XL later but for now, I'll say I got my first otterbox, a super heavy duty Defender model. I've bought and installed otterboxes for friends and family, but never for myself. The Defender makes this thing a tank and I added a tempered glass screen protector for another layer of protection. The protector and case together cost $20, almost as much as the phone. Which is weird, but while the actual cost of this device was tiny, the replacement cost would still be hundreds of dollars, so I consider it an insurance premium well spent.

7. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Well, with Brighthand back, I can finally relate my sad story, lol. I noticed on Sunday that, according to Brickwatch, there was a Walmart about 15 miles from me that had two, so I drove there. The store was nearly deserted (it was an old Walmart, not a supercenter) but the electronics folks said they couldn't help me, that the phones were only handled by a 3rd party that wouldn't be in until 8-9am Monday morning. So I went in at 9am Monday (all this time being very careful-- masks, sanitizer, distancing)-- again, not many people. Oh, no, the phone people won't be in until 11 or 12. Sigh. At this point I was obsessed. :vbrolleyes: So I went back in just after noon and the phone guys were there. "Oh, yeah, we had two, but just before you got here some guy came in and bought them both."

It's hard to complain. I don't really need another slab phone , though I could have had more fun with Pixel in terms of mods than I can with a Moto. And I'd have a better camera. But maybe some struggling person got themselves and another family member a great phone they couldn't afford otherwise. Yeah. That's why there are soooo many black Sprint Pixel 3a XLs on ebay. :vbwink:

And then, I came home and Brighthand went dark. :vbeek:

Moan day, indeed. :vbgrin:

scjjtt, Mi An, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

So close... sooo stinking close! What a treasure hunt! Sorry it didn't work out for the better. How fun to try though! :)

scjjtt, Mi An, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I resisted the urge to try and get a second (I might have gone caseless if I had an identical $24 backup in the drawer.... nah) just because I hoped it would work out for someone else in need. Twas probably a silly sentiment but it made sense at the moment.

Sorry for the wild goose chase! :hi: Wish you'd snagged one.