Hard core camping freak, Ique or new?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Jay1921, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay1921

Jay1921 Mobile Enthusiast

Im looking at a hard core camping GPS. I have a car gps. It does not do camping that well. I wanted altitude, I need off road options.

The new Garmin hand helds are $200 to $350.
    The old ones are GROSS.

What is a good GPS for camping?
    M5? I need cheap also.

2. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

None of the iQue models are "hard core camping" GPSs. Fragile, not water resistant, limited battery life.

You can probably get a refurbished Garmin eTrex (various models available) for less than $150. Here's an example of a pretty nice unit ... New Cdn$149, Refurb Cdn $129.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/etrexventure-hc.html

You didn't say what features are important to you or what your budget is so it's impossible to make any really useful suggestions.

...ken...

3. Jay1921

Jay1921 Mobile Enthusiast

and the GARMIN ETREX LEGEND CX can hold SD cards where some others dont?

4. wa5ngp

wa5ngp Mobile Enthusiast

While I have an ique and use it for hiking I would not recommend it to you either. It is pretty fragile so while hiking you always have to be aware of it so you don't break it. The touch screen is sensitive to salt water so even if it doesn't get wet after being out on a boat the screen will start to draw arbitrary strange things. The antenna on it has to be flipped out to operate and it could be easily broken off.

The best thing about it is the screen resolution and the fact that you can use 3rd party software for various gps functions unlike the dedicated gps units.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Don

5. Ken in Regina

Yes. There is another important difference. The Venture HC has the newer high-sensitivity GPS receiver in it. The Legend Cx does not. The Legend HCx has the newer technology.

If you look at the various eTrex models, "H" is for high-sensitivity, "C" is for colour and "X" is for eXpandability (micro-SD card).

I have the Legend HCx for hiking and mountain biking and I love it. I also use it on the golf course to get yardages to the green. I've dropped it in the mud a couple times and it's still good.

...ken...

6. cmthmpsn

cmthmpsn Mobile Deity

I got the CSX60 to take to Iraq. Very rugged, every function imaginable, takes MicroSD cards.

7. Ken in Regina

Hi Christina,

We were just visiting my wife's cousin out at the west coast. He's a logger out there and has a 60CSx to make sure he's staying inside his alloted territory. That is one rugged piece of equipment. His was covered with mud the day I was helping him figure out some of the functions he wants to use. He said it's been dumped in the mud numerous times. It still works flawlessly.

The screen is a little bigger than my Legend HCx and the buttons on the front are a little easier to use.

...ken...

8. cmthmpsn

cmthmpsn Mobile Deity

I didn't use my 60CSx much on this last trip to Iraq, although I carried it every time I left the wire. I was in an aviation unit, so I was usually in the air, and always as a passenger. I'll probably use it more on my next trip, as I'll be with a cavalry unit, and our mission will be convoy security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.