Happy with Sprint's repair plan

Discussion in 'Carrier Discussions' started by jigwashere, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Long story:

My Sprint TP2 had problems some time last year, so I replaced it under warranty. No charge. Last week, my phone started behaving badly: it wouldn't wake up. I could reset it and it use it, but once I turned off the screen, it wouldn't turn back on. Funny thing, though, I could still use the touch screen even though it was completely black. I did discover I could turn it on when it was attached to one charger, but it wouldn't work with other chargers. Very strange. Factory reset didn't help. Another funny thing: I plugged it into my car charger and that cured the problem for a few hours, but then it went comatose again.

Short story:

When my out-of-warranty TP2 failed, I brought it to Sprint. They were unable to repair it, so they replaced it for $35. The replacement phone arrived at the store the next day, and in short order, I was back in business. I don't have insurance for my phone -- never have and don't expect I ever will. I'm happy to pay $35 to get a fresh refurb.

-Source

I don't think the other major carriers offer anything like this. Heck, my brother had insurance on his phone with T-Mobile, and as I recall, he had a huge deductible with them.

2. cassidy0423

cassidy0423 Bad Robot

Verizon's insurance is around $7.00 per month WITH a $50.00 deductible.

cassi

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  3. jigwashere

Sprint's insurance is $7.00 per month. Equipment repairs would not have a deductible, so the situation I had would not have required me to pay the $35. But if I were to need replacement of my phone because of damage, water, theft, or loss, I'd have to pay a $100 deductible.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Honestly Jig, I think you are just lucky or that particular Sprint outlet can get things done. What you describe is contrary to just about everything else I've seen re Sprint, including my own horrific customer experiences with them.

5. jigwashere

The policy is clearly published on their webpage. In my case, the phone was replaced because they couldn't repair it. "In the event of loss, theft or physical or liquid damage, purchase or upgrade of a new device will be charged at the full suggested retail price." - Link to Source

I won't deny being lucky. :newpalm: Also, the manager of that particular Sprint outlet is one of the good guys.

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Right, and we all know that companies always honor their agreements to the letter. Sorry, but when you're dealing with human beings (who get verbal instructions I would imagine), it doesn't always go as smoothly. Or at least it hasn't in my experience. Just another perspective. Both of us can be accurate in our portrayals of what has happened.

Today's paper by the way shows that Sprint contract subscribers declined; but they increased numbers of people buying the cheapest plans and PAYG subscribers.

7. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

It would make a good subject for a thread to discuss the majors, at least, and talk about the pluses and minuses of their insurance coverage. I've never had coverage and thankfully never had a need for it. But smartphones are much more expensive than feature phones and will stay that way until everybody has them. I'm still probably going to Verizon and they have 3 levels of coverage. I don't know if the most expensive is worth it or if the cheapest covers enough situations to bother.

Re V's quote above, and forgive me for straying OT, but what he points out is an emerging trend, with MVNOs moving generally to monthly plans, many with unlimited services for pretty cheap rates. I have a friend who has gone back to Virgin Mobile (Sprint's) for their cheap unlimited data. This despite knowing their coverage is limited.
    Also a good subject for a thread, BTW. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.