Happy Thanksgiving (USA)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by scjjtt, Nov 23, 2017.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I hope everyone here has a great Thanksgiving! There are so many things for me to be thankful for - but one of them is B.H. & your forum friendship.

I'm grateful that our son & bride surprised us by coming home on Tuesday. Our D-I-L found a $52 flight from MDY - PHX. She had been search for good prices but everything was expensive. On Tuesday morning she found this flight on SouthWest but they had 30 minutes to pack & leave to get to the airport. They are going back on Tuesday @ 5:30am for $112. They'll miss a few classes (which they are doing well in) on Monday & Tuesday but earlier flights were just too expensive.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

weegie, lelisa13p, headcronie and 5 others like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Happy Thanksgiving!

We're having a very small celebration this year, with my wife, kids and mother-in-law (who lives with us). We have much to be thankful for. I am also very thankful for each of you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Happy Thanksgiving to all my "Family" here. A quiet but very joyful Thanksgiving at the Hook house, Just Mrs Hook and I, Helga, Bandit (cat) and Hookette. :newpalm: :hi:

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I ran the Turkey Trot "Drumstick Double" this morning. My first 10K was at a fast 7:46 pace. After that, I was feeling a bit tired so my 5K was at a more moderate 8:46 pace. I'm thankful for my health and that I can continue to enjoy running and enjoy the company of all my running friends. I'm also thankful for my kids, even though I won't have them both here for T-day dinner this year. I'm thankful for my sister and I'll be going over to her house for dinner at 4. Lastly I'm thankful for my goddaughters and I'll be going over to their house at 6 for my third dinner today. I'll easily put back whatever calories I burned in the 15K run this morning! Of course I'm thankful for my Brighthand community of friends. Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!
    IMG_0055.jpg

weegie, lelisa13p, headcronie and 3 others like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Just the immediate family here -- wife, my two sons, and the critters (who outnumber us). Looking at the devastation (natural and by the hand of Man) around the world, I have plenty to be thankful for, not least of which are the folks here at BH. Hope it's a good day for all <g>

r0k, weegie, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I made turkey gravy for the first time this year, and it was a big hit. My son is allergic to dairy and my wife gets migraines from MSG, autolized year and yeast extract, so buying gravy wasn't an option. I didn't really know what I was doing, but managed to figure it out. I poured off the drippings and filtered out the herbs, garlic and little bits of turkey. Then I deglazed the roasting pan with some white wine, made a roux, add back the drippings and augmented it with some chicken stock left over from another recipe. I substituted olive oil for the butter and left out the cream. My wife went over it with her immersion blender, and have it a taste. Wow! Lots of good flavors from the turkey and the herbs I used.

The turkey was good. As I have done for the past 7 years, I split the turkey in half, removing the back bone. I lay both halves in a roasting pan and bury it in fresh thyme, rosemary, chopped parsley, bay leaves, and sage. I slice some heads of garlic in half and throw them in, too. It only takes a bit over 90 minutes at 375F to bring it up to 160F, then I cover with foil and let it rest about 20 min.

Our 17lb bird gave us lots of leftovers. Once I'm done with my drink, I'll head back up and finish the clean up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

EdmundDantes, r0k, weegie and 5 others like this.
  7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Better late than not at all, right? :vboops:

I'm grateful that I didn't have to fly to NYC this year and that my Son and DIL came to visit me instead. :vbsmile: Picked them up at the airport at 2 PM and then drove to my BIL and SIL's home for dinner at 5:30 (my nephew was home, too.) Of course we ate too much and talked too much and a fine time was had by all. :vbsmile: My Son and DIL are staying until 8:30 Sat PM when they fly home and I won't see them again until sometime in 2018. :vbfrown:

I'm grateful, too, for the fellowship here at BH for lo these many years and for the unique people that all of you are. :vbwink: Between all of us, I bet we know a little bit about almost everything. :thumbsup:

My Son loves his new/my old iPhone 6s Plus, too. :vbgrin: Setting it up was a breeze. :vbcool:

r0k, RickAgresta, weegie and 2 others like this.