Happy Groundhog Day, 2020!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Feb 2, 2020.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

and according to the ever-so-wise internet, no shadow was seen by multiple Marmota monax in the northeast US. hope they're right, I could go for an early Spring, not that this has been any kind of a severe winter for me, at least.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Wishing all palindrome lovers a wonderful day. :)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

3. RickAgresta

seen elsewhere on the internet :vbrolleyes:

upload_2020-2-2_9-55-28.png

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

That's why they are referred to as "whistle pigs." :vbwink:

lelisa13p, raspabalsa and RickAgresta like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I imagine the groundhog doesn't start whistling the Andy Griffith Show theme music when it senses danger. ;)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 1 other person like this.
  6. RickAgresta

If I'd known how to spell out what a wolf whistle sounds like, it'd've been a different word•balloon :vbgrin:

EDIT: raspy, is there anything similar south of the equator? Not wolf whistles…

scjjtt, Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

AFAIK, nothing similar. Seasonal weather in Ecuador and Colombia doesn't vary that much. Right now, it's "winter" in Ecuador, but there "winter" means hot, humid, and rainy. The other season is "summer" (June through November), but this means cold, dry, and sunny. No animals are used to mark (or wish!) the passage of either season. There are some flocks of birds to be seen over Guayaquil around October, that should mark the start of winter in Ecuador, but nobody takes much notice of them. Temperature range is quite narrow, lowest in "summer" in Guayaquil is around 20°C (68°F) and highest in "winter" is around 40°C (104°F). Colombia is a similar case, seasons are not so marked, but it's also confusing because there's 2 rainy seasons every year. These seasons roughly correspond to winter and summer in the northern hemisphere. Temperatures in Medellin very rarely go outside the 18°C - 30°C (64.4°F - 86°F) which makes for a pleasant weather all year long. I guess both Colombia and Ecuador are too close to the Equatorial line to have much seasonal variation.

Peru and Bolivia are sufficiently away from the Equator to have 4 seasons. Right now it's nearing the end of summer, which has been quite hot, except when it rains. Autumn should begin at the end of the month, and I'm already in fear of the upcoming March equinox (on the 20th), which marks the start of the cooling period. I still have fresh memories of last winter <shudder>. BTW, to the best of my knowledge no animals are used to mark seasons in Bolivia either. They're mostly reserved for sacrifices during the challas (religious festivities) :eek:. Next challa is during the carnival (first week in March). Llama population gets a significant hit during that week :eek:.

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

:vbgrin: :vbgrin: :vbgrin:

9. RickAgresta

And now, a BTW update (an audio-visual daily double :vbrolleyes: )
    20200215_134956-picsay.jpg

Hook, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Har. :vbrolleyes: My zoysia lawn is still an unappetizing shade of grey but yesterday I saw that in spite of torrential rains and freezing temps, the patches of weeds from last fall have come back in larger masses than before. :vbfrown: