Happy Birthday, raspabalsa!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Jan 22, 2020.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

sorry you're stuck at work this time, hopefully you'll have some fun anyway. as always, hope it's a great day, followed by an even better rest of the trip around Sol. and, thanks much for being such a great part of this community!

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Cheers, raspy! :vbgrin: It's Spaghetti Cake time again! :newpalm:

Cake-spaghetticake.jpg

3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Happy Birthday, my friend! :newpalm:

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Happy Birthday!

5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hello, my good friends!

Thank you for remembering my b-day. Yes, I was stuck at work in endless meetings with management. But it was a good day, a couple of my ideas were met with general approval (and about as many more were met with general indifference, but let's count only the approved ones ;) ). Didn't have spaghetti, though. Lunch was at a Spanish food restaurant, and we all had seafood, a rare pleasure in Bolivia.

I just arrived back in my apartment in Viacha. Luckily, I'm going off-duty day after tomorrow. My kids are going to throw me a b-day party this weeked and yes! they're cooking spaghetti for me! Extra yummy! I'm already counting the hours. Tomorrow I'll have to hurry finishing my work, and Friday morning I'm flying to Quito. I'm really looking forward to next week. Even though it's my birthday, I'm taking some presents for my kids that Mrs R and I found in Medellin. I'm pretty sure they'll love them.

Now I'm going to hit the rack. I'm really tired. See you all tomorrow!

6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Bummer. I'm so sorry, Raspy! :vbeek: :vbfrown: (Hook hates seafood and assumed Raspy is being inexplicably punished :vbwink:)

7. raspabalsa

Well, seafood is not usually my first - or second - choice. I can't stand eating arthropods and mollusks, the sole exception being that I love shrimp. Maybe because it's served without the head, legs, and shell. I also like fish, but only those species that have no spines, such as tuna and especially albacore.

This is how I feel when I see a plate full of sea arthropods:

[​IMG]

Still, sticking to shrimp and tuna, there's plenty of delicious dishes to enjoy.

Just 24 hours now to go see my kids. I can hardly focus on the paperwork I have to finish for today. Maybe I should just close all my Chrome windows and concentrate on Excel for a couple of hours :newpalm:

8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Happy Birthday!

Clams, shrimp, crab, lobster.... Yum! Anything not on that short list, and uhm... pass. :)

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

You guys are missing out! I make salmon (Atlantic or Pacific) usually at least once a week -- enough to add the leftovers to my salad the following day or two. Orange roughy, trout, tilapia. Yum!

When I went to Lake Titicaca in 1994, I stopped at a restaurant and had the best trout I'd ever eaten. After taking a boat tour of the lake, my friends and I decided to stop for more trout at another restaurant, but it wasn't nearly as good. Two days later, I struck up a conversation with a man on my flight from El Alto to Santa Cruz. It turns out he was a fish farmer and learned his trade in Canada. When I told him I'd eaten at Inti Raymi (I think that was the name), his face brightened. He had just delivered fresh trout to the restaurant the morning we ate there. Oh, and it turns out the trout was Minnesota lake trout! Back in the 1930s, many lakes around the world were stocked with trout (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...american-trout-doing-lake-titicaca-180957472/). Very unfortunate. :(

One last tidbit about my trip: My flight to Santa Cruz had a few hours' layover in Cochabamba. The guy I met wanted to show me around, so we went into town and stopped at Dumbo for salteñas de carne. I don't remember them being very spicy, though. They were sweet with maybe a little spiciness.

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  10. raspabalsa

jig, just yesterday I tasted the first non-hot salteñas since coming to Bolivia. Before lunch we had a snack and at first I hesitated because I only knew hot salteñas, but hunger took over, so I took a bite, and they were like you describe: somewhat sweet and just a bit spicy. It was a surprise, because every other salteña I've had has been very hot.

I haven't yet tried trout here. Or been to the Titicaca, or Santa Cruz. Actually I've done very little sight-seeing in the year I've been here (It's already a year!?!?!?!), mostly because I spend my 3 weeks working full time, then rush abroad to see my loved ones. I'm planning to bring Mrs R to do some serious tourism, but she already used all her vacation time until next year :(

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.