Handspring and springboard practical uses in 2016

Discussion in 'Palm' started by greenshoe, Mar 16, 2016.

1. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Great to hear you have a Memplug adapter.
    I located the updated Memplug files and uploaded them. You can get the updated files here if you want them:
    https://files.secureserver.net/0swJGE8qeV005s

Looking over the files it looks like it upgrades the card for VFS file-system support (needed for some advanced apps like Documents to Go if I remember right), and it also includes upgraded versions of PIDirectII and PiBackupII in the zip file as well.
    If you do the upgrade make sure you use the smartmedia specific file to upgrade your card (SMv2_13.prc)

The springboard slot is actually very durable in my experience. The visor will use more power when the memplug is in use, although the smartmedia version was one of the best for power consumption as I remember (the compactflash used a lot of power).
    Smartmedia is fine but it probably does make sense to stock up since they are not making any more of them. - Compactflash is the most durable and lasts the longest which is why I originally recommended it, but it is pretty rare to find.

I think tinkering is good :).. although I have to limit myself too since I could waste way too much time instead of doing useful things that actually pay the bills.

For reading ebooks-
    CSpotRun is a free palm doc reader. You can download it here (go to the eReaders folder):
    https://files.secureserver.net/0fpfSpPCLepyEp

Isilo is also a good one but it's not free.. although I do see it's currently on sale (50% off) and I think it's a good program.
    http://store.isilo.com/

Isilo offers companion windows software that you can paste any text or html into and generate an isilo formated ebook that can be transfered to your palm - so a fairly easy way to take any ebook from the web and make it readable on your palm.

raspabalsa likes this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

What is SmartMedia? A proprietary memory card of some sort?

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

SmartMedia is a flash memory card standard owned by Toshiba, with capacities ranging from 2 MB to 128 MB. SmartMedia memory cards are no longer manufactured...at least, that's what wikipedia says

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Re-reading this thread, I didn't realize that PHEM was down to 99 cents. Wasn't it $50 when it first came out?

Tom La Prise, 8 MB back then was serious hardware.

Greenshoe, I know this is late in the game; but have you explored the Sony NX series Palm OS devices? They offered a lot of add-ons, including a battery pack that allowed for regular batteries I think.

5. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I still have a DSLR camera that uses SmartMedia cards, and I have a few cards. They're a few MB in size, not big enough to hold that many pictures, but it was state-of-the-art way back when I bought that camera. I haven't used it in years, because the cameras in my phones have more capability. I think maybe I still have one card reader that will take SM.

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

You are thinking of Styletap, which appears to still be $50.

http://styletap.com/index.php

Actually I'm surprised they are still around, though I don't think the web site has been updated in a while.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  7. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

I had some email conversions with the Styletap folks just a few days ago - so yep they are still offering the product.
    Phem is actually really good for PIM apps, but not so great for games since it runs too fast. Also Phem is the only one that supports hotsync. For .99 cents it's hard to complain though and might worth downloading just for the fun of it.

Styletap seems to have much better speed regulation so the apps run more like original Palm Apps - but pricey. You could buy a lot of new android apps for $50 :).

scjjtt likes this.
  8. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

Also, for Palm OS 5.x, StyleTap is the only choice. PHEM won't work with that.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I bought StyleTap before PHEM was available. Yes it was expensive - it just reminded me of the days we'd spend that much for Documents To Go! After PHEM came out I broke down to pay that 99 cents to try it out & use it.

I didn't use either one of these for games so I don't know about how the speed worked or didn't work with them. I StyleTap & PHEM for a Bible software, which today I use the Android version. For me I preferred PHEM because it utilized my screen much better than StyleTap & gave me more real estate to write in using Graffiti.

http://forum.brighthand.com/index.php?posts/1882691

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

EdmundDantes likes this.
  10. greenshoe

greenshoe Mobile Enthusiast