Handspring and springboard practical uses in 2016

Discussion in 'Palm' started by greenshoe, Mar 16, 2016.

1. greenshoe

greenshoe Mobile Enthusiast

I am surprised and happy to find fairly recent posts for such an old platform! I hope this post finds someone who can help me to determine next steps.

I used a Handspring from 1999-2003. Hardware failure took the life of my second one. the first was broken by my own mistake in 2001 as i was racing down the street on my bike and went flying off of the bike to land on my bag and break it...

I have Handsprings arriving shortly and will be using this platform again, not out of novelty but for practical reasons. OK, of course it *is* novel, and I am sure that is not lost on anyone bothering to read this post. But beyond the topic of how great it was at the time, there are stlil some unique practical features today which I'll list here so you can understsand where I'm going with this. Modern platforms have largely abandoned these features

1. Battery life and cheap standard batteries. I can take this with and have it available in places where I will not be able to charge for long periods. Alkaline stores well, and I can always use rechargables if I would like to. (so I'm focusing on the Visor Deluxe and Neo)
    2. Instantaneous access to Calendar, journal and contacts
    3. Stowaway keyboard will make journalling easy and without need of a recharge for days on end.
    4. Hardware is now very cheap and very atatainable. I can afford to have spares. And generally this is dependable hardware.

So my plan is:

1. sync to android (http://www.zdnet.com/article/did-you-know-you-can-use-palm-desktop-with-your-android-phone/) using a cradle
    2. When at social functions or meetings where you only have a few seconds to capture information, especially meetings, I'll use the palm because it actually is that much faster and more predictable. (It also frees up the phone for calls, and text). (ALSO, a palm device will never intterupt you with something you didn't initiate, like an update or a call or some stupid reminder. remember when our organizer did exactly what you wanted it to?)
    3. journals. I really enjoyed writing on it. I liked having a journal attached to a day and having that be something that could be done very easily aand with timestamps. and WITHOUT interruptions like needing to go plug in, or being interrupted by some software or a messsage or whatever.

That would be enough by itself. I'll be satisfied with that much. However, it would be really nice to be able to sync wirelessly. Rudimentary internet access would be nice as well. These are things I wouldn't need to take with me. Just tasks for at home. In other words I'd leave my springboard modules at thome.

Questions:

1. If anyone has a vissorphone or any of the other hardware I ask about below, I'd like to buy it from you if the price is right.
    2. Is it possible to activate a visorphone for voice and for data? (really I'm more interested in data, but if its about the same i might do both)
    3. Any other GSM or CDMA data solutions available which I could still activate? (preferably on t-mbile and I live in the US in Texas)
    4. I'd really like to get one of the Bluetooth modules. especially the Red-M one along with one of the Red-M bluetooth routers. that way I could sync wirelessly and get the internet access i wanted.
    5. Finally a wifi module would be great to find.

As i said I'll be satisfied with what i have, but having either a bluetooth or wifi optoin would be great, and in addition having a visorphone or broadband otpoin would be great as well.

If I had to prioritize I'd say:

1. bluetooth or 2 wifi.. one or the other with a pref for bluetooh.
    3. visorphone or 4 other data with a preference for visorphone (assuming I can activate it)

forgot to mention reading books.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
    scjjtt likes this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Welcome to Brighthand, greenshoe! Good luck.

3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Welcome to Brighthand greenshoe. Many of us who hang around the hallowed halls were devoted Palm OS users. I used Palms religiously for 15 years & even lived in Sunnyvale, CA during the best years of Palm.

Switching from Palm OS to Android was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. Although it was tough, although Palm OS still does things better than any mobile OS, switching to Android OS (or finding an alternative OS) was not only necessary but rewarding.

I wish you well in your pursuit, but unfortunately things don't last forever (I should know as I continue to use a laptop running Vista & Office 2003 AND I'm using Palm's Graffiti 1.0 on my S4 as I write this). I heard a quote many years ago: ''Change is inevitable - growth is optional.'' We are all in that boat. You are having to do a lot of changes to continue to use Palm OS & Handsprings. The effort to continue to use that may be well worth the effort - but it will be work.

I did use CompanionLink to sync my last Palm device - Centro. It was helpful to actually have my calendar syncing to all the Google calendars that I & my work have - but it wasn't perfect. Sometimes I would get duplicates or appointments would disappear if I didn't sync in the right sequence, Palm - Palm Desktop - Cloud - Palm Desktop - Palm. Time zones were almost impossible to get right. The correct time of an appointment often would get changed. Things may be better now - but it is work.

Have you ever thought of just using an older phone to do everything you want to do instead of a Palm OS device. I have an older Samsung phone & since it is not activated - the battery last a long time, plus I have spare batteries. Keeping WiFi off & Bluetooth off also extends battery life - but you can use them whenever you like.

I wish the best for you. Many of us left our hearts in San Francisco - or just south of there in Sunnyvale but fortunately connecting to Sunnyvale to the West is Mountain View - home of Google & South of Sunnyvale is Cupertino - home of Apple.

Keep us posted on your plight - we are an attentive & interested group!

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  4. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

It's possible to charge an Android phone using regular batteries. It's not ideal, but it's possible. There are battery packs available that take AA batteries. I have a couple, one of which I built myself with Radio Shack parts. I haven't brought them out of storage in a long time, though. I have some rechargeable battery packs also, and keep them charged just in case, but I don't use them much either. But I'm rarely anyplace without electricity. If you're going camping or someplace where there is no electricity, you can still get by on an Android, although it will use a lot more batteries than a Palm device.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and greenshoe like this.
  5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, greenshoe.

It's an interesting project, although IMO you could get a different PalmOS device to fulfill most of your requirements. For example, the Palm TX can do everything in your list except for cellphone connectivity, and a Treo device like the 600, 650, or 680, can do everything but WiFi.

Have you searched ebay for Handspring modules? Probably you'll find what you need/want there.

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  6. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I looked at ebay before I posted, and found nothing. Tons of Visors for sale, but the only module I saw was GPS, nothing else, no wifi or bluetooth, before I gave up. Maybe something is available, but if so it's well hidden.

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Searching with the keyword "handspring" I saw modules for GPS, backup, scanner, modem, even a Tiger Woods PGA Tour module. I didn't read any of the auctions though. But you're right, I saw no WiFi or BT. I guess whoever have them won't want to sell these modules.

8. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

For wifi, I would imagine the hardest part would be connecting to a modern router. I don't even bother trying with my TX any more.

9. greenshoe

Hey thanks for all the responses! After having read them, I realize I left out a few requirements and intentions. Also you helped me realize some things I need to abandon.

First, abandonment - scjjtt points out that technology moves on. and that these things take work.

1. I'm abandoning wifi and cellular. My only want would be the Red-M Blade, but as raspabalsa and sgosnell say, there isn't much there in the way of springboards. I'd want that one because I could sync easily and wirelessly, access internet, and unlike wifi and cellular, the bluetooth modules do not require an additional battery pack to charge and eventually fail: http://www.visorcentral.com/content/Products/factsheet-372-28-all.htm

(I did actually find one of these Minstrels for about $10 new in the box and had it delivered : http://www.amazon.com/OmniSky-Minstrel-Wireless-Springboard-Handspring/dp/B0000501E3... but now what? :). Not worth the trouble)

2. raspabalsa, I looked up the Palm TX. That looks very impressive! I am actually only interested in Handsprings though and I didn't mention exactly why originally. They are in that sweet spot between faster processors that consume more power and older processors which are too slow to do anything useful. They are also in a sweet spot cost wise and there tend to be a lot of them floating around. Coupled with very low demand and they are easy and cheap to obtain and replace. Oh, and the screen is low power. (One Visor is on the way for $2, and another for $10).

Also, I dont' want to be married to a specific battery pack or an internal battery. That says instability to me. I need to be able to put the handspring away for a lenght of time and still be able to come back and use a still available battery. Plug and play.

Oh, and battery life for me is just as much about it lasting long whiel I'm using it as it is not having to charge for days and having the charge be "still there". Some of this is about travel into wilderness, sure, but some is about convenience and lack of a need to plan. Me forgetting to pack x, y and z shouldn't prevent me from writing electronically or reading electornically. This seems more compact and tenable than a kindle maybe more durable.

My stowaway keyboard came today. About $10 I think. Everything is turing out to be cheap. :)

So in summary I'll use this for:

1. writing. Journals. Maybe fiction. whatever. Also, being so dedicated there aren't any distractions on the handspring unless I load it with games.
    2. reading. e-books, comic books, whatever.

And that's about it.

I forgot - does hotsync do selective syncing? Can I specify to only sync one application or to do one direction?

For example, can I keep a journal in calendar, and use contacts and specify?:
    - only push from handspring calendar to palm desktop and not vice versa.
    - sync addresses both ways.
    - do nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
    scjjtt, Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  10. greenshoe

Probably right. Bluetooth would be easier.