Hands-on the Palm Wireless Keyboard

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robrecht

robrecht Pretty Good Member

Another possibility might be this kind of small, inexpensive 9v charger:

http://shop.brando.com.hk/m5009vcharger.php

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

It is 0.7 inches thick when closed, which makes it about a tenth of an inch thicker than a T3.

3. cbowers

cbowers Mobile Deity

A glance and the *multiple* stylus holder holes in various sizes on the right hand side would seem to confirm they're indeed intending this for a variety of PDA's.

It's a shame about the lack of a lock however. While I've always been able to type fine with the original PPK on my lap, albeit at a slight angle, I do find the thin keyboard makes it much easier.

Also I very much appreciated the build quality of the original PPK (metal sides). I wasn't thrilled when the follow-on models went to plastic (and thicker) sides, but it still stood up well.

The ultra thin keyboard is robust in most areas, except in the PDA holder part. The plastic contraption is held onto the two rails by 2 screws into the soft plastic. It wasn't long before they gave out on mine. I've since put it back on with hotglue filling the cavity, and it's now much more solid than it was originally.

I also agree with Ed that the missing numeric row gets a little tedious. I'm always mixing up which FN key to hold.

This sure would have been a nice keyboard to have around for my HandEra 330 in landscape mode, but I'm on to a Tungsten C now...

4. ExtremeSIMS

ExtremeSIMS Mobile Consultant

Ah, cool. Tapwave has it listed on their site. It just opened up the Zodiac as a possibility!

5. Skoobouy

Skoobouy Mobile Deity

Well, I'm salivating. Anyone else? This looks like the nearly ideal IR keyboard. I have been waiting for ThinkOutside to develop something more svelte than their current kludgy solution. This is just the ticket!

But a universal keyboard only for Palms? :confused: Well, it can't be long. Pocket PC software hates a vacuum.

6. altema

altema Mobile Deity

It is real nice and I like the way the driver lets you pick the IR driver or a connected driver for the other keyboards. Typing speed is real responsive, just a responsive as my 1.8Ghz laptop. I picked the keyboard up for free after a rebate offered by CompUSA, even though I already had the original PPK AND the UltraThin keyboard.

The original PPK worked with the T3 ok, but was not consistent with recognizing when it was placed in the keyboard. The UltraThin is the ultimate for looks and portability, while the IR keyboard is the best for responsiveness. In our household, between us and the kids, we have everything from the T3 and M515, to the M130 and Zire... and it's great to have one keyboard that works with all of them.

As far as I know, it would only take drivers to support the basic functions with a PPC, which would be appreciated because we need to get away from treating each other like aliens because of our OS prefs. I'd like to be able to be in a meeting and loan it to a friend, regardless of platform. That way, I could keep the driver on my card and either beam or BT it to them when needed.

BTW, just as a side note about the UltraThin; it has a port just to the right of the UC with electrical connections inside... looks like they planned at one point to make an adapter to power the keyboard and/or handheld. Anyone know anything about this?

7. imported_OlafOnline.nl

imported_OlafOnline.nl Newbie

I agree. Isn't there a hack or something availible?

8. srg1208

srg1208 Newbie

Ed, in your review you wrote, Speaking of versatility, I hope someone is out there right now developing a driver to allow this device to work with Pocket PCs.

The new WM2003 drivers at thinkoutside.com do work with the Palm Wireless Keyboard. I've tested it using my Dell Axim X5 Advanced and it works great.

9. altema

altema Mobile Deity

Thanks for the lead, I'll check it out.

10. lexxonnet

lexxonnet 3rd of 8, unimatrix 0

Something interesting..
    The IR port is apparently one-to-many.

My Friends and Myself connected 4 PalmOS PDA's... three Tungstens and a Clie to it simultaneously, and whatever was typed appeared on all devices simultaneously!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.