Hands-on the Palm Wireless Keyboard

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

2. gfunkmagic

gfunkmagic Mobile Deity

In regards to the IR keyboard, it looks nice! I'm anxious to see how well it works with the Treo 600...

3. imported_palmhiker

imported_palmhiker Mobile Evangelist

Regarding use of this with non-Palm products, I wonder if ThinkOutside and Palm have some sort of formal agreement that prohibits TO from releasing drivers for these for non-Plam products for a certain period of time.

Otherwise, it would certainly seem to be in TO's best interest to support every PDA out there with an IR port.

4. LeoB

LeoB Mobile Evangelist

Although I have the Palm universal thin keyboard, I bought this wireless one as soon as I got a T3 (along with that WORTHLESS T3 hard case!). The ability to use the T3 in landscape was worth the money.

One thing that would have been useful is a way to power the T3 while in the keyboard, like the iPaq could. I found that if I put the T3 in the keyboard in landscape mode and tilt it out on the right side I can plug in the external battery pack and still work. It's not ideal, but can keep the T3 going for a long time.

When I have time, I'm going to see if I can trim off enough of the plastic side to the handheld tray so that I can plug in the external battery pack and have the T3 lay flat.

You sometimes wonder if the folks who design these things are ever let out of their workshop or farther than 10 feet from a power outlet.

Cheers,
    Leo

5. mikegehl

mikegehl Newbie

I'm pretty happy with the wireless keyboard. The only thing I dislike is that, in order to use it with the T3 in landscape mode, you have to switch the handedness to lefty rather than righty. It's very strange that Palm would've set it up that way.

6. lexxonnet

lexxonnet 3rd of 8, unimatrix 0

It does work with other devices.... well... the Clie n760 atleast. I tried it out today on my friend's keyboard. He beamed me the driver from his T|T, and it worked on my Clie :)

7. robrecht

robrecht Pretty Good Member

I wonder how much less battery life you get using this wireless keyboard compared with the wired XT? For example, while typing a long document on a flight? How noticable is the extra battery drain?

8. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Considering how short the battery lives are of many recent high-end models, you should start by asking if your handheld will last the whole flight. :)

I does take a noticable hit to your battery, but so does any external keyboard. If you want a rough estimate, it probably reduces your battery life by 20% to 30%.

9. nrosser

nrosser Mobile Enthusiast

gFunk - my wireless keyboard works fine with my Treo600.
    Just peachy.

10. ahecht

ahecht Mobile Evangelist

Ed, if you still have the review model, can you post an edge-on picture of the closed keyboard (maybe compared with the T3). I'd like to be able to get an idea of how thick it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.