HandBrake and Palm thread

Discussion in 'Multimedia (Palm OS)' started by Varjak, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm only starting this thread, because the one major thread that deals with using HandBrake (HB) is closed. Plus, HB is now available for use on Windows and has a vastly improved user interface from the time that thread ended two years ago.

Has anyone been using HB lately, or does just about everyone use PocketDivXencoder or some such?

I'm hoping to find out if anyone has experimented with the settings beyond the basic frame rate and screen ratio (and I believe that the screen ratio should vary based on the source, which may be 1.78, 1.85, or 2.35 to 1) instead of just using 480x230.

Also, HB allows for anamorphic formatting, which the Palm may or may not support. The LD and TX both have the same pixel dimensions as the iPhone, so anamorphic might work.

2. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Fair Use Lite seems okay, but more limited than HB, unless you buy the upgraded version. Plus, it seems to be optimized for DivX, which is okay, but less portable than the other options. With HB, I can do most of the things (I think) that the pay version of Fair Use does. Plus it is constantly being improved like Firefox without a commitment to buy more software. I don't mind spending the money (Kinoma seems worth it); but it doesn't seem necessary here.

4. Hook

You are right. For a brief time they gave away the pay version and that is the version I use now, but I used the lite version for a long time. However, 2 things.

1. If you are encoding for a Palm, Fair use Lt does the best and easiest end-to-end (DVD to playable on a TX in TCPMP) file conversion out there. (My opinion, of course). So, honestly, if your target is Palm, you don't need more features. :)

2. Using VeMode, also free, I have been able to flawlessly convert the Fair Use Xvid encoded .avi files to other formats including for the iPod Touch/iPhone (caveat-- I don't have a Touch or iPhone, but they play in iTunes as if they would be fine on the handheld). TCPMP will not play this format correctly.

I'm not trying to talk you out of Handbrake, but I don't think you are going to find many here who use the windows version, so I am just tossing up alternatives in case you hit a brick wall.

If you do figure out handbrake, please post so others can learn from what you find. :)

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

From what I've read (and all I've really done to this point is read up); TCPMP has an H.264 plug in, which is one of the main output file formats of HB. That way, I would be able to convert one file that would be usable for both the Palm and an iPhone. At least that was my thought. I had planned to buy a 3G iPhone, but was very disenchanted with the new phone, which adds little but 3G and doesn't address many of the issues I had with the first phone (no videocam, stereo bluetooth, voice dialing, etc.).

Also, I was going by what you said about FU Lite, which doesn't have the functionality you mentioned since I didn't know you had the full version. What version do you use and when did they give it away free?

6. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

I didn't know that! Thanks! :D

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Mobile Evangelist

I have never been able to get smooth video in H.264 with TCPMP.

8. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

I get really smooth video at 300x440, 200FPS, and audio at 128kbps. ;) Video encoding is H.264 and audio encoding is AAC.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Palmgeek,

Do you mean 20 fps (frames per second?). 200 fps is awfully high, isn't it?

Also, 440x300 results in a ratio lower than 1.5 (it comes to 1.46). That would mean having 'bars' of some kind on all 4 sides of your picture. The two things I've heard are essential is to try and approximate the ratio you are trying to duplicate (1.78, 1.85, 2.35) and make sure the pixel dimensions are divisible by 16 (this simplifies and speeds up the graphical engine calculations from what I've read). For example, for something with an output aspect ratio of 1.85 (many typical movies), the math yields 259x480 (one typically keeps the width value at the max). To make it divisible by 16, one might choose a height of either 256 or 272 (I haven't yet figured out which is best and what the pros and cons of going up or down from the mathematical value is). I guess it results in mild distortion one way or the other.

Currently, I'm having a huge argument with a guy on handbrake because I suggested trying to mimic the storage frame ratio of 1.5:1 (esp. for TV shows which are typically 1.33 or 1.78). I haven't tried it yet, but if I do, I'll replicate the 320x480 dimensions of my display.

10. FireNWater

FireNWater Mobile Deity

Hi Varjak,
    thank you for creating all these newbie threads for Vid to Palm.
    based on previous stuff, I take it you have a smartphone/iphone.
    I have TX and E2 so this is just for those devices using TCPMP.

Handbrake.
    Just finally figured out how to use it and have played with settings to get .vob files into Palm TX on TCPMP.

Default Ipod encode:
    gives a H.264 or mpeg4 I think. Neither will play on TCPMP off the bat.

Ipod/change to .avi output Xvid, 2 pass Vid if time allows on the project
    and successful file to play on TX.

If I do get something that won't play, then it's off to PocketDivX to convert it an .avi for the TX.

Can anyone explain mpeg4 versus all the different m's or point me to the thread? There's also on occasion the .mpg that is from non-US posters on YouTube. Those can't be converted to .avi from the .flv. TCPMP plays those but the file is of course 2x larger than the .avi. OK, yes, they do convert to an .avi but there's a huge blue stripe running down the middle when playing it on the desktop. Guess the blue/green color casts of TX screen filter it out when it's played on the little screen. So I leave those in mpg format and archive to disc.

11. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Actually, I'm primarily trying to get video onto my LifeDrive. I had fully intended to buy an iPhone, which is why I investigated HandBrake in the first place (plus I was hoping to do one conversion and use it on both devices since they share a 480x320 resolution), but was disappointed with the new version of the iPhone. I'd like to stick with MVK for now, since it seems to be one of the better output formats, but I may try your method (Vorbis).

I've been using a copy of the DVD 'Rendezvous' that was given to me by a friend, and it supposedly does not have copy protection on it; but I'm beginning to think that it may.

I believe you, but why do you think that H.264 won't work on TCPMP? There is a decoder for it.

MPEG4 was the 'default' video format that approximates what is actually on DVD's. One of the better sources for info on the various formats and container formats is Wikipedia.

12. FireNWater

FireNWater Mobile Deity

When I loaded a test file that was in H.264, TCPMP could not run it. I've googled decoder for H.264 but don't understand enough yet to use it. Is this a codec to load onto the Launcher like the others that came with TCPMP? There are no instructions, just a Download now button so I'm hesitant since it might be an advanced thing (for me). Something new to learn usually means I'm headed for multiple crashes so i find it safer to get some more solid info before downloading and plugging away. I could also not be reporting accurately since I 'm still learning all these acronyms, file ext.. As i understand it from Wicki - H.264 is a standard for video compression. It is also known as MPEG-4 Part 10. However, TCPMP can run previous mpegs - MPEG-2, H.263, or MPEG-4 Part 2. So it's confusing for me since the file says mpeg4 but there seems to be different standards in the H.xxx level. At first I though it was some sort of codec to load along with the others but its a standard. Anyway, all confused and so I just did the workaround for simplicity until I learn more.

13. FireNWater

FireNWater Mobile Deity

Hi Varjak,
    when you put in your h.264 file and TCPMP plays it, would you mind posting instructions? Rougheo (see his H.264 post) and I both have been unsuccessful.
    I've looked at raspabalsa and jigwashere links. I see a FFMPEG add on so I will try that new .prc add on.

14. Hook

In my experience, h.264 doesn't work, despite the claim for the mp4 codec to handle it. It tries to play it, but things get botched up quickly. Frankly, since a Fairuse created Xvid .avi file does so well on a TX with TCPMP, I haven't been terribly motivated to look at it closer. Really, on such a small screen, additional quality falls into the realm of diminishing returns.

By the way, I can take any Fairuse .avi file and convert it for the ipod Touch/iPhone using the free VEMode. It plays perfectly in iTunes, though I don't have an iPod Touch to test it on. ;)

15. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

FireNWater,

Actually, from what I've read, H.264 format files SHOULD be able to be 'read' by the AVC+AAC plugins on Jig's signature. H.264=AVC as far as I can tell. The AAC part is for the audio (although I guess you could use another audio format as AAC is very lossy).

I have not had the time to make another attempt but I will absolutely post any relevant info I obtain.

Edit: (I forgot the link I wanted to show)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

16. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

There's one other thing I thought of. When I transferred the file from my HD to my SD card using a USB card reader/writer, do I put it in one of the folders like Audio, DCIM, or Palm? or can I just put it on the card? The first try I made I could find the file on the card, it just wouldn't play.

17. Hook

TCPMP doesn't care where the file is on the card. I drop them at the top level.

18. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks. I actually got some results for my second run through. It wasn't the location on the card, but the first encoding which failed. My second attempt was much better but not quite satisfactory.

19. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I know that many people here use DivXEncoder and get an XviD file. What plugin does TCPMP use to play this kind of file? I'm going through the plugins and I don't see one for XviD or AVI. although there is an MPEG4 plugin. Thanks.

20. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

TCPMP uses the MPEG4 plugin to play an XviD file. If you want to know which plugin is used for the formats you use, try this: Install all plugins to your TX's main memory, then with a file manager (such as Filez) move all plugins to the SD card. Move them, do not copy them. So now TCPMP is stripped of all its plugins. Open TCPMP, then open your video. TCPMP will complain that it's missing a required plugin, and will also tell you which one it is. If unclear about which one, then try moving plugins one by one back to main memory, testing until TCPMP can play the video.