Guest network in my access point fails.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Jun 21, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

At least you've got the option going forward. My configuration would require a complete overhaul in order to get any guest network (wired or wireless). No guest wireless for you! :p

HC's Network.png

2. headcronie

As you have made configuration changes to your C7, as well as rebooted it, you may need to reboot your Roku and TV.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

<jigwashere stomps off to find the breaker box to turn off power to the whole darn house!!!>

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and headcronie like this.
  4. headcronie

This is why I am not a Network Admin. Holy frustrating is right. I can't imagine trying to do this stuff on a business scale. Yes, they have far better equipment to handle this, but still... Too much stuff to reset, to physically get to to reboot. No thank you...
    We had to get out a scissor lift and reboot APs in our gymnasiums, and theaters. This guy does not do heights. That thing wobbled and I thought I was going to die... Why did they send me up? Where was my Network Admin?!

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oi! You guys are giving me a headache and I'm only reading about it! :vbwink:

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

jigs' now sentient AP -- after consulting with SkyNet -- offers jig a deal, the details of which I'm not allowed to disclose

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

[​IMG]

headcronie, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Have you tried smacking it? My assistant will demonstrate the proper technique:

Have you tried riding it around the kitchen in a shark costume?

Have you tried pummeling your nemesis with it?

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'm with Lelisa. This is so above my head, it's spinning.

I'm lazy. I use a simple wireless extender and no guest network. (No one really comes into the house who's not family who would want access to WiFi, although I could clearly see why/how someone would need or want this.) So much of this wifi and networking really seems like voodoo. Just last week for some reason, my theater PC decided to stop communicating with my NAS. I couldn't figure it out and after turning stuff on and off and switching between various networks (two each for the router and the extender, 2.4 and 5 gHz for each) it decided to work again.

After years of searching, I found the specific Fon modem I wanted, which allows for a totally separate guest network. I just haven't set it up yet.

10. headcronie

When you're trying to manage virtual LANs (in this case, what a guest network is in simple terms), it all becomes a bit of a black box mystery, especially on consumer grade equipment. You have little to no control over it, and they give you next to zero understanding of just how it works. A guest network on a consumer grade router like this is only available wirelessly. There is no way to extend that to another device via ethernet port. They don't tell you that anywhere. I'm not surprised that this stuff confuses people. If I didn't have my Network Admin explaining this stuff to me on a daily basis, I wouldn't understand much of it either.