Guest network in my access point fails.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Jun 21, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

The wireless network -- both home and guest -- are in the same building. I'm simply trying to get the wireless guest network to reach all corners just like my home network. I don't know anything about VLAN. Networking in general is a kind of wizardry that confuses and confounds me to no end.

I figured out the problem. It was another IT-10-T (idiot) error. Configuring the guest network on the AP, I outsmarted myself by copying and pasting from the C7. I copied the SSID. I copied the password. Unfortunately, in the copy/paste, the AP ended up with a space after the password. A SPACE!!!!! :mad: Once I removed the space, everything works. I can log in and get internet access with no problems.

I wanted to confirm that my Guest Network is indeed separate from my Home Network (i.e., no access to anything on my home network). The easiest way for me to confirm this was by trying to connect to the Harmony Hub in my home theater. The Harmony Hub connects to my home network on the 2.4GHz band. Devices on my home network, whether on band 2.4 or 5GHZ, can connect to it. Note that each band has its own, unique SSID. However, once I switch to the Guest Network, which is on the same band, my devices can no longer see the Harmony Hub.

2. jigwashere

Hold on --- the Harmony Hub test either isn't a good test, or my guest network is not isolated from my home network. Please stand by.

RickAgresta likes this.
  3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Ah, incorrect password would cause authentication errors.

However, the way in which you have it wired, your ASUS, while broadcasting the guest SSID, will place devices connected on that device, regardless of SSID, on your home network. :(

The SSID, is only the gatekeeper to either having permission to connect wirelessly to that router / AP. The SSID does not determine routing. As this device is only an AP, it does no routing. Thus it dumps all connected devices back to the C7, which has no way to determine what network they should be on, and thus deposits them all on your home network.

Sorry. :(

jigwashere likes this.
  4. jigwashere

Well, now I'm really confused. I turned off the guest network on the ASUS (the access point). On the Archer C7, the guest network is configured to prevent guest to access my local network -- yet when I'm on the guest network, I can connect to the Harmony Hub. I don't think that's supposed to happen!

5. headcronie

Is your Harmony Hub externally accessible? Could it be routing externally and coming back in?

Easiest way to tell - Connect to guest, run Fing on your Android device. Document devices seen, and IP range.
    Connect to your home network. Repeat. If you're seeing the same devices, it isn't keeping them separated....

jigwashere likes this.
  6. headcronie

Looked at my C7. Your guest shouldn't have this box checked...

C7.png

jigwashere likes this.
  7. jigwashere

After rebooting the C7 and Harmony Hub a few times, I it's all okay. I cannot access the Harmony Hub when my devices are on the C7 Guest Network. I can access the Harmony Hub when on my Home Network.

My guess is that I created a hole to my home network when I created a Guest Network on the Asus. Even though I turned off the Guest Network on the Asus, in order to release the connection between my phone and the Harmony Hub, I needed to reboot the C7. I'm thinking that the IP was already set for my phone going through Guest Network on the access point, thereby getting on to my home network. Even though I turned off Guest Network on the access point, the connection was there until I rebooted the C7. I'm sure I'm not explaining that well, but I hope that makes sense.

So....I think I have a secure guest wireless network on my C7. I simply cannot extend that to the AP. That's fine with me: the C7 is in the basement where my guests will spend most of their time, and the WiFi signal does reach to most of the main floor, too. They simply won't be able to use their wireless devices on beyond that limit unless I do what you suggest -- get some new hardware. That's not in the budget right now. :)

RickAgresta and headcronie like this.
  8. jigwashere

I can't buy more hardware because I added 2 network switches.

upload_2018-6-22_11-25-8.png

9. jigwashere

I somehow skipped past the second part of this post about Fing. :(

The Harmony Hub is not externally accessible. I am disappointed it can only connect to 2.4GHz band (no 5GHz) and does not have an Ethernet port.

Thanks for suggesting Fing! I installed it on my G6. On the guest network, it shows the C7, G6, one of the Roku players and some Samsung device (maybe one of the TVs?). Hmm...why is the Roku and Samsung showing up?

headcronie likes this.
  10. jigwashere

Okay, this is very strange! I installed Fing on my Nexus 6, too. Both my Nexus 6 and G6 are on the Guest Network. Fing on the Nexus 6 shows the C7, Nexus 6 and G6. That's what I would expect. Fing on my G6 shows all that, plus the Roku and a Samsung TV. The latter 2 devices should not be on the guest network. I even cleared data from Fing and restarted it to see if that made a difference. Nope. The G6 shows 5 devices on Guest; the Nexus 6 shows 3 devices. Wizards!!!

RickAgresta and headcronie like this.